Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #8,671 of 12,597

I already read first page posts (and rankings) and also skimmed through lasth pages of the thread and I was already leaning towards 7550/800st. I believe that anything I will buy would be a tremendous improvement over my current portable setup (stock Nokia headphones lol). Before I didn't have time and money to invest in a good setup. 

Are there any advantages in buying a more expensive DAC/AMP (eg. OPPO ha2 or incoming FiiO Q5) or should I be buying the one that can the best produce the sound I'm after? I'm willing to spend more on the components that I can also use in possible future setups. :D

Also, are there any EU sources to buy 7550/800st?

Thanks!

At your level, not really.  Your not going to notice the difference going with a more expensive setup.  Get something good and cheap and work your way up the latter.

only bad thing about the e18 is that is received emi interference like a ************.  You would need to turn off all your antennas on your phone to stop it.  you won't be able to here it when the music is playing.

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #8,672 of 12,597
seen something like this in Chinese second hand store only for 40 euro

the bass on it is bam also has three bass boosts like on older CDs and CD players. whaa so loud, could play music from iPhone with auxiliary input buy a Bluetooth thingy to use as Bluetooth speaker with auxiliary, but then didn't buy it hm, may be I should I duno

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/1i-zW1aTV0A[/VIDEO]

https://youtu.be/1i-zW1aTV0A

but ye whatever dac you enjoy buy that one, no point getting best cause it's also prolly overpriced

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #8,673 of 12,597
@MikiRawr there was a dirt cheap Cayin C5 in the F/S and those are GREAT portable amps with bass boost as well that does not muddy the mids. Daisy chain in a portable DAC with the saving.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #8,674 of 12,597
  Because without tape or something covering the vents you will not get much bass at all. You will get linear bass that extends low. Tape just gives it a lot more quantity.

This is what tape does to EX800ST/7550 from http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/sony-mdr-7550.html

As for 2.5 I think anything more than 1/3 or 1/4 open will not result in more bass, only more mud and ruined mids. Fully open doesn't hit any harder than 1/4, you just get bad sound IMO. I love both IEM's.

NO wonder, it's Hawaiibadboy's No. 1 on the list, 12dbs of bass!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #8,675 of 12,597

Well holy crap bro!
eek.gif

Long time no see btw!!

I always thought it has minimal to no damage to mids and highs as compared to stock config...and it's true.

+1 for the graph bro!!
beerchug.gif

heh thanks but its not my graph I just found it when searching for reviews. But I just wanted to thank you for all the good basshead advice here and in other threads. I bought Sony XBA-A2, ASG 2.5 and Sony 800ST based on your recommendations and like them all. They're keepers. 
basshead.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #8,676 of 12,597
Also Hawaiibadboy is totally right regarding 800st vs 2.5 bass. Nothing hits harder than 800st with closed vents. 2.5 may appear "bassier" at first because its darker and lacks some treble compared to 800st but if you only concentrate on bass impact 800st wins. Its hits your ears/head like a truck 
basshead.gif
 2.5 and 1.5 just don't have that. I also have the ASG 1.5 which is even darker than 2.5 but also lacks that special 800st bass. 1.5 was really disappointing actually. 2.5 hits harder than 1.5 imo

I also realised that when it comes to IEM's darker sound doesn't mean bassier. I guess we all hear differently and this is all a learning experience for me as I'm kind of new to IEM world.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #8,677 of 12,597
  Also Hawaiibadboy is totally right regarding 800st vs 2.5 bass. Nothing hits harder than 800st with closed vents. 2.5 may appear "bassier" at first because its darker and lacks some treble compared to 800st but if you only concentrate on bass impact 800st wins. Its hits your ears/head like a truck 
basshead.gif
 2.5 and 1.5 just don't have that. I also have the ASG 1.5 which is even darker than 2.5 but also lacks that special 800st bass. 1.5 was really disappointing actually. 2.5 hits harder than 1.5 imo

I also realised that when it comes to IEM's darker sound doesn't mean bassier. I guess we all hear differently and this is all a learning experience for me as I'm kind of new to IEM world.

how do the sonys a2 compare in terms of bass slam ? does it hit hard ?

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,678 of 12,597
basshead.gif

Luckily before letting the Mojo go I pitted them against each other using the dual headphone outs and without thought to impedance and volume matching just played a Car Audio bass competition track and cranked them with one in one ear and the other in the other and then switched them.

It was the dumbest and most important thing I ever did with IEM. If a set hits harder I don't know how a person would know??  2 bass beasts and one blew air on my eardrum and the other felt like it tore it in half and I was in pain for weeks. I don't hesitate for a second at placing it at #1.

I also love the mids and treble. It is a pretty impressive set.

And it's not stupid crazy expensive.

**stock cable sucks ass milk**  <<<always gotta add that
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #8,681 of 12,597
Hi guys is there any iem better than xb90ex at bass impact ,depth and mid clarity in near price range?

to me the new 1more e1001 is superior: better all around imo. $100.
much more balanced and still has great bass, clearer mids and good treble, too.
...esp if you don't assess a bass worthy iem as just having a subwoofer in your ear as the xb90ex is oft ref'd to
..the 1more e1001 doesn't have this subwoofer quality but it still has great low end, nonetheless.

I found the xb90ex lacking in details and the mids.
you listen to an iem like the popular vsonic gr07 classic, for instance, with all those fab details and balance
(no wonder some reviewers-shotgunshane-contend it to be a baby 7550 for balance and resolution),
then go back and try the xb90ex, and it like a veil is placed on the music.
 the 1more is a great balance of the 2 imo: not as much low end as the xb90ex (but still great bass)
and yet not as detailed (sibilant even) as the vsonic gr07 classic...it's a pretty 'musically' tuned iem.
i like great bass: but it also has to know it's place.

do a google search. lots of good reviews on the 1more.
to be frank, I sold mine and now regret it as a backup to the flc 8s and sony 7550s

as always, YMMV...we all have different prefs and 'hear things' differently.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #8,682 of 12,597
  What are your thoughts on Aurisonics ASG-B vs. Sony MDR EX800ST/ 7550?

Also, does anybody know where could I get EX800ST/ 7550 in Europe or cheaply 'import' one?

the ASG B you don't need to EQ for huge bass, just take it out of the box and get going.

Ex800st/7550 you gotta put the tape over the vent, have a lot of amp power and EQ the bass up.

Luckily before letting the Mojo go I pitted them against each other using the dual headphone outs and without thought to impedance and volume matching just played a Car Audio bass competition track and cranked them with one in one ear and the other in the other and then switched them.

It was the dumbest and most important thing I ever did with IEM. If a set hits harder I don't know how a person would know??  2 bass beasts and one blew air on my eardrum and the other felt like it tore it in half and I was in pain for weeks. I don't hesitate for a second at placing it at #1.

I also love the mids and treble. It is a pretty impressive set.

And it's not stupid crazy expensive.

**stock cable sucks ass milk**  <<<always gotta add that
biggrin.gif

I did the EXACT same thing with my mojo when i still had it. Did it with the 2.5 and 7550 and  then the ASG-B and 7550

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #8,683 of 12,597
Hi guys is there any iem better than xb90ex at bass impact ,depth and mid clarity in near price range?

doubt it, plus when you throw a cayan c5 amp on it it's gonna be 250 euro to get bass

trinity delta is best overall balance between bass and cleaneness and fun sound but xb90 drops crazy bassy but won't compare clarity wise to stuff like delta, gr07, flares etc etc but it's a bass head thread

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #8,684 of 12,597
  I don't know how the ha2 stacks up, c5 is usually more recommended because i think it has output power (dont know, not enough time to check).you should buy the stuff that sounds best to you even if its a minidisc player or an audiophile approved PS1.

The C5 is a beast. The only thing that it doesn't drive good enough is my HE1000.

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #8,685 of 12,597
Quick question - in terms of bass only (i.e. ignoring all other aspects of sound quality like airiness, soundstage, yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada), which of Mojo and Hugo fares better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back