Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Aug 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,701 of 12,597
Thanks, that's exactly what's happening with me. Quiet it is.

As an active/touring musician I spend a LOT more time getting my eardrums blown out by massive PA's than I should. I probably will be halfway deaf by the time i'm 30 if i'm not that deaf already. So I have spent a lot of time letting my ears relax quick as possible :)

no tricks or supplements or weird stuff for me... just waiting
frown.gif

The worst part is when something's stuck in my head and even super low volume speakers make my ears hurt. Do check ins on how my ears are feeling every couple hours with the TV on a low volume or the speakers on a low volume. you will know pretty much immediately if you need more time off or not

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #8,704 of 12,597
If you are referring to the M6-Pro's, then my opinion is quite different than yours.

I own both the MEE M6-Pro and the MDR-XB90's...I also own a pair of the MDR-EX800ST too (with tape mod).
The M6-Pro has mid-level bass and clear highs, but the XB90's have sub bass...plus warm mids and clear highs.
I think the M6-Pro is more for "studio/stage" and the EX90's are made for bassheads or anyone who enjoys deep bass without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum's frequencies and soundstage.

I would highly recommend that you try them with a more powerful amp and really enjoy what the EX90's can bring to your ears!

Hi,could you compare xb90 ex and ex800/7550 at bass and mids?

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #8,705 of 12,597
So though XB90 and EX800/7550 have 16mm cones they are different grades of cone, or different tuning of cones (?) as I see the impressions quite different about the two....

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #8,706 of 12,597
  So though XB90 and EX800/7550 have 16mm cones they are different grades of cone, or different tuning of cones (?) as I see the impressions quite different about the two....

The basic tuning of the sets if the graphs are to be believed...
Shows the xb90 with a more pronounced bump in the bass region.
The "ST" in the ex800st is supposed to mean "studio" or "studio tuned".

The tape mod really does just relate to re-tuning/elevating the bass and not much else which is perfect. i LOVE bass but I like my mids too. I think the xb90 sound great but less so when compared directly with the ex800st. IMO

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #8,707 of 12,597

The basic tuning of the sets if the graphs are to be believed...
Shows the xb90 with a more pronounced bump in the bass region.
The "ST" in the ex800st is supposed to mean "studio" or "studio tuned".

The tape mod really does just relate to re-tuning/elevating the bass and not much else which is perfect. i LOVE bass but I like my mids too. I think the xb90 sound great but less so when compared directly with the ex800st. IMO

I'd like to bust open a used XB90 and use the cones with a custom dual BA custom build later in the year....bring dat bass, bring the mids/treble and micro-detail...researching it. Should cost less than an EX800ST.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #8,710 of 12,597
That might be a fun thing to try depending on how much room is in the XB90 shell. would be willing to put them in a DIY enclosure if necessary but it would be a pretty big IEM to have a 16mm and a BA haha.

I bought some IEMs from china and there is one model I got sent i didn't ask for.... the KZ ED10. Gotta give it its respect because it amps really well and still has nice sub bass boom off a phone or mp3 player no amp. No mid bass bloat, good tonal balance, the mids and treble are still clear. really no complaints at the sub $10 price

ATE-S still sucks and is too boomy in the mid bass

The KZ ZS3 though has a removable 2 pin cable and is not that terrible in any way. It's about $20 so it's expensive for a KZ. Definitely a lot better than the ED10. I don't have any XB90EX to directly compare with right now but I think these have comparable bass impact & quality to the xb90ex and are a little less veiled sounding on the mids and highs. Some highs can be a little bit peaky but overall it's a great and enjoyable sound. Being $20 it doesn't use the fanciest parts so you might find it's kind of a pain in the butt to get the 2-pin cables inserted. I am probably going to use the stock cable from the Aurisonics with these. It would be pretty funny if I took the 2-pin cable with the mic from these and put them on some Aurisonics.

So, in conclusion, the ED10 isn't bad at all but not great either and i will give it away to someone. The ZS3 i will actually keep for myself and listen to again in the future. good IEM at $20 and if you have a collection of nice cables already you won't be limited to the stock cable.

edit: The ZS3 is good off a phone/mp3 player but I am finding it actually really does want an amp. I am happier with the sound than I expected using it straight off my laptop, but it truly shines when amped. It's not something you should freak out and scramble to grab one if you already have any other IEMs at least as good as the XB90EX, but I am happy with my purchase and will look forward to using these in the future, at 15% the price of the ASG-B it is at least 75% of the quality of the ASG-B, if the bass went even deeper and harder it would be too close to the ASG-B for comfort. (comfort in  this context being not upset at paying $300 for an IEM after getting a $20 IEM)

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #8,711 of 12,597
Hey guys, I've got a couple suggestions, if you're looking for something new.

TFZ series - saw someone mentioned them to @vapman in the Chinese IEM thread, I second it specifically for the TFZ 1s (haven't got the higher models, yet). 12.5mm driver, strong bass but given the price (~$40), it has surprising quality and even more surprisingly clear mids and a natural soundstage - a little wider than average but with more depth than I've heard in this range before.
I discovered quite by accident that it EQs well, too, one time I found I had managed to turn on a pretty standard V-shape preset and it handled both extra bass and treble without me noticing anything sounded off.

Trinity Sabre - dual 7mm drivers in push-pull. For a bit of fun I put on the bassiest filters and tried some bass EQ, wayyyy beyond what I usually enjoy haha but I didn't notice any distortion or major loss of quality. Was testing with this track because this never gets old for me and seems appropriate. 
The thing with these is they're quite expensive now, 125 pounds (I feel almost bad that I paid less than half that with discounts during pre-order), although I think something from Trinity would be worth a try by one of you at some point and in my opinion these are the most ideal so far. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #8,713 of 12,597
  Hey guys, I've got a couple suggestions, if you're looking for something new.

TFZ series - saw someone mentioned them to @vapman in the Chinese IEM thread, I second it specifically for the TFZ 1s (haven't got the higher models, yet). 12.5mm driver, strong bass but given the price (~$40), it has surprising quality and even more surprisingly clear mids and a natural soundstage - a little wider than average but with more depth than I've heard in this range before.
I discovered quite by accident that it EQs well, too, one time I found I had managed to turn on a pretty standard V-shape preset and it handled both extra bass and treble without me noticing anything sounded off.

Trinity Sabre - dual 7mm drivers in push-pull. For a bit of fun I put on the bassiest filters and tried some bass EQ, wayyyy beyond what I usually enjoy haha but I didn't notice any distortion or major loss of quality. Was testing with this track because this never gets old for me and seems appropriate. 
The thing with these is they're quite expensive now, 125 pounds (I feel almost bad that I paid less than half that with discounts during pre-order), although I think something from Trinity would be worth a try by one of you at some point and in my opinion these are the most ideal so far. 

I was strictly talking about sub $20 gear and should have made that clearer apparently. They aren't basshead material but every so often you get someone coming in here with a tiny budget and the phone remote/mic/no amp part is a necessity. If someone is spending more than 40 dollars the known basshead sets are the ones to go for. I got a Trinity Sabre in a trade once and it's nothing compared to the xb90ex. Promptly traded it for some over ears.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #8,714 of 12,597

I was strictly talking about sub $20 gear and should have made that clearer apparently. They aren't basshead material but every so often you get someone coming in here with a tiny budget and the phone remote/mic/no amp part is a necessity. If someone is spending more than 40 dollars the known basshead sets are the ones to go for. I got a Trinity Sabre in a trade once and it's nothing compared to the xb90ex. Promptly traded it for some over ears.

Oh, I wasn't directly replying to what you were talking about before. I have some KZ stuff myself, I hear what you hear with the ED10. 

These were just suggestions of things to try, not an attempt to get anything listed. The TFZ is the stronger suggestion given the price, its not so much of a gamble. I'm not a basshead myself, but I enjoy gear found lower on the lists, or on the refined or unamped list, like the FLC8, Lear AE1d, Aurisonics Harmony. In that sense, I'm not a fan of simply dismissing things as 'not basshead material' since I wouldn't have expected the FLC8 to be considered anywhere near this thread. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #8,715 of 12,597
No group buys allowed, but shared open source research information fine. So far I was recommended :-

Knowles BK-28562 (entry level full ranger balanced armature unit circa $18 each )
and found
Knowles TWFK-30017 (premium level hybrid full ranger balanced armature unit circa $36-38 each).

Something like an XB50 13.5mm neodymium cone unit and Knowles BK-28562 would be a cheaper risk at a first attempt to get the passive crossover right, but I'll be looking at my custom true basshead hybrid later in year not now for me. Too many moving parts/costs at the moment.

From the in-reach (affordable) quality hybrids - Shockwave 3 looked like the best to me price-wise and bass ability (quantity and quality), but mids were a bit sucked out and treble hot/fatiguing for treble-sensitive. U-shaped.

1) Used XB50 13.5mm neodymium cone unit and Knowles BK-28562 - "test canary"
2) XB90/7550/8000ST 16mm neodymium cone unit and Knowles BK-28562 - "very interesting"

3) "Devil in the details" = passive crossover and damping. Split chamber if in fact that would be correct to pursue.
4) Custom universal shell at reasonable price = no lead yet. Biggest cheap shell is 10mm on aliexpress @ $36 per pair.

1+2+3+4 = moving parts open to change. Broad strokes at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back