Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #2,701 of 2,830
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #2,702 of 2,830
@Leto Dal - You made the right call. There has to be other shops in Germany that can get you these, no?
You will have peace of mind once you get a true matched pair.
Just curious, did you even receive the wooden box that comes with a matched pair?
Yeah the wild part it came in a sealed wooden box and each tube was individually sealed, so I can only assume they used leftover seals they got from WE.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #2,703 of 2,830
I bought a set of new WE 300B tubes for my Eddie Current Studio B amp, and one of the tubes frequently makes a hissing noise. I sent the tube back to WE, but they claim the tube is working normally and are shipping it back to me. Is there anything I can try to minimize the hissing noise from the tube?

I'd really like to get a set of Elrogs and smash these WE tubes with a hammer out of spite, but I haven't been able to find any for sale sadly.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2,704 of 2,830
I bought a set of new WE 300B tubes for my Eddie Current Studio B amp, and one of the tubes frequently makes a hissing noise. I sent the tube back to WE, but they claim the tube is working normally and are shipping it back to me. Is there anything I can try to minimize the hissing noise from the tube?

I'd really like to get a set of Elrogs and smash these WE tubes with a hammer out of spite, but I haven't been able to find any for sale sadly.
There is a dirt cheap pair on classfields right now.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #2,706 of 2,830
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,707 of 2,830
Ahh :rip:. I didn't realize tubes also get posted in that classified section lol. I've been keeping an eye on the Desktop Amp and "Cables, Speakers, Accessories" classified sections

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #2,708 of 2,830

You might test the tubes in another amp, just in case it’s not the tube, but your amp or its sockets.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2,709 of 2,830
You might test the tubes in another amp, just in case it’s not the tube, but your amp or its sockets.
Makes sense, but I don't have access to another 300B amp. I have other brands of 300B tubes that are silent in this amp, and I moved the WE tube back and forth between the left and right channel of my amp, and the hissing followed that tube. So maybe it's just an issue with that tube interacting with my amp, but no other tubes I have make a hissing noise with the amp.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #2,710 of 2,830
Makes sense, but I don't have access to another 300B amp. I have other brands of 300B tubes that are silent in this amp, and I moved the WE tube back and forth between the left and right channel of my amp, and the hissing followed that tube. So maybe it's just an issue with that tube interacting with my amp, but no other tubes I have make a hissing noise with the amp.
Sounds like you’ve isolated the tube, even if WE is saying it performs within spec. WE are notorious for developing noise issues. I had an issue with one of mine so I returned them (bought 2nd hand and from the same seller I bought my Agartha from. He didn’t hear any noise but he was primarily using it as a speaker amp and I was listening to ZMFs)

You might try another pair of (less sensitive) headphones

Other users have reported the noise going away after a bit of warm up. (That never was the case for mine however)

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2,711 of 2,830
Sounds like it’s the tube, if it moves with swapping sides. Bummer.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #2,712 of 2,830

Do you have access to a good tube tester? It would reflect very badly on WE if the tube turns out to be gassy.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #2,713 of 2,830
I do not own or have ever owned WE 300B. Initially I thought I would buy them for the Envy with the production in the US and with a 5 year warranty.
After reading impressions of WE vs. Elrog I felt the Elrogs were more of the sound I preferred and bough the ER300B.
When I did have a fairly minor issue with 1 tube the pair was replaced under warranty. I have since bought the MO and TM and love them all.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #2,714 of 2,830
I do not own or have ever owned WE 300B. Initially I thought I would buy them for the Envy with the production in the US and with a 5 year warranty.
After reading impressions of WE vs. Elrog I felt the Elrogs were more of the sound I preferred and bough the ER300B.
When I did have a fairly minor issue with 1 tube the pair was replaced under warranty. I have since bought the MO and TM and love them all.
I should lend you my WE pair just so you can hear a good set, fully broken in.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #2,715 of 2,830
I should lend you my WE pair just so you can hear a good set, fully broken in.
The WE are incredible when you get a quiet pair. They really are flat out magical tubes, and smoke the ER300B in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back