Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #2,687 of 2,830
@Leto Dal i think you should send them back and get a new pair from somewhere else.
The issue is I already filled out the warranty card (at first I thought there is only one card) and now expecting this to be a problem with them accepting the return. So it will be a while till I get my hands on a new pair I am afraid. Basically wondering if those messurements are still good for a matched pair.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #2,688 of 2,830
The issue is I already filled out the warranty card (at first I thought there is only one card) and now expecting this to be a problems with them accepting the return. So it will be a while till I get my hands on a new pair I am afraid. Basically wondering if those messurements are still good for a matched pair.
if we look on the envy thread we can see that the post @Exekuhtor made showing his tubes, i would say they're not closely matched in comparison. will it make a difference? not sure, but personally i would not accept that. anyone paying that much for tubes deserves better.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #2,689 of 2,830
The issue is I already filled out the warranty card (at first I thought there is only one card) and now expecting this to be a problem with them accepting the return. So it will be a while till I get my hands on a new pair I am afraid. Basically wondering if those messurements are still good for a matched pair.
While it might be ugly if they make this a problem I'm quite sure every judge would be on your side.

There is no reason to assume that you need 2 warranty cards for a pair, and you only heard about it from the manufacturer when trying to apply for extended warranty.

How would you have known that BTB sent you an incomplete shipment otherwise.

If WE denys warranty I'd 100% go through the hassle and send them back. 1700€ is no pocket change

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #2,690 of 2,830
While it might be ugly if they make this a problem I'm quite sure every judge would be on your side.

There is no reason to assume that you need 2 warranty cards for a pair, and you only heard about it from the manufacturer when trying to apply for extended warranty.

If WE denys warranty I'd 100% go through the hassle and send them back. 1700€ is no pocket change
Yeah if WE denies the warranty or cant confirm the pair is well matched, I am certainly sending them back, will wait till monday and see what WE say, the been very helpful so far.

As for BTB avoid them by all costs, borderline scammy behaviour with very ugly communication. As for the judge - well my wife is a lawyer if sh iat really hits the fan, we are likely to win and cause significant discomfort in the process, but I really want to avoid dealing with them any further, all I want is peace of mind with the warranty and some fun with the tubes.
Since damn, the WE do sound good.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #2,691 of 2,830

Just to clarify, WE always has a warranty card for each tube no matter if it's a matched pair or quad. You have to send in a card for each tube.

I have been through the warranty process recently with a noisy tube from my matched pair, and they only replaced the noisy tube and matched it up to the one I still had.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #2,692 of 2,830
Just to clarify, WE always has a warranty card for each tube no matter if it's a matched pair or quad. You have to send in a card for each tube.

I have been through the warranty process recently with a noisy tube from my matched pair, and they only replaced the noisy tube and matched it up to the one I still had.
Thanks for sharing this. I now know but I still don't think that this is something one would expect unfamiliar people to know about.

I also know now to rather Import from WE directly than to buy from BTB. The warranty is a big deal in the Total package here.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #2,693 of 2,830
Thanks for sharing this. I now know but I still don't think that this is something one would expect unfamiliar people to know about.

I also know now to rather Import from WE directly than to buy from BTB. The warranty is a big deal in the Total package here.
As long as you buy from an authorized dealer and BTB is a authorized dealer - its fine to order in EU, everything is still covered by WE warranty.

Still some black sheeps like BTB certainly dont help with hobby enjoyment, its beyond me how you can pull something like this with an enthusiast customer that is buying a 1.7k item from you and is likely to return. Its not just scammy its simply stupid.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #2,694 of 2,830
Another reason for them doing this is that they are buying unmatched singles at a discount and not passing the savings on to you once they “match” in house.
At the least the owe you the second warranty card period and if they cannot produce, that is grounds for a return and reporting to WE about their behavior if they are an authorized dealer which by the sound of it they are not.
Did you get a “better than average” deal on these?
That is an indicator or red flag as authorized dealers sell these at roughly the same price.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #2,695 of 2,830
Yeah if WE denies the warranty or cant confirm the pair is well matched, I am certainly sending them back, will wait till monday and see what WE say, the been very helpful so far.

As for BTB avoid them by all costs, borderline scammy behaviour with very ugly communication. As for the judge - well my wife is a lawyer if sh iat really hits the fan, we are likely to win and cause significant discomfort in the process, but I really want to avoid dealing with them any further, all I want is peace of mind with the warranty and some fun with the tubes.
Since damn, the WE do sound good.
Just wanted to share my experience with KR here...somewhat related to your situation. I bought a brand new pair of KR 300B in 2020 from an authorized distributor in Hong Kong. My mistake was I didnt really think much when I received them as the manufactured date is 2016. Apparently, the distributor had them in their inventory for about 4 years before they sold them to me. Nevertheless, I contacted Eunice Kron and sent both warranty cards to her. At this point, she didnt commented anything but just advised me to send in the warranty cards.

Everything was fine until on the second month, one of the tubes started to develop a constant popping sound. After contacting the distributor, the troubled tube was replaced but it was manufactured in 2021, so I have two tubes made about 5 years apart...sigh. Long story short, the second tube had half of its filament burned out on the 10th month. Knowing in advance that the distributor will only accept exchange in the first 3 months, I contacted Eunice Kron and was told these tubes had ran out of manufacturer warranty, and I have to contact the distributor for resolution. We all know what was happening here....they were just kicking the ball around. Lesson learned here, no more KR for me. I dont care if they offer 10 years warranty.

If you have decided to keep them, my advise is it is essential that you receive official verification from WE that these tubes will be covered under the full warranty as I see that they are dated 2021. Good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #2,696 of 2,830
Not keeping them.

Western Electric confirmed that the second tube is pre-owned so it can’t receive any warranty. The matching is bellow average according to WE.

BTB Elektronik basically sold me a used tube as new, which explains the missing warranty card. In addition to that they sold the set as factory matched, which is factually wrong according to the manufacturer.

I guess it qualifies as a scam.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #2,697 of 2,830
Not keeping them.

Western Electric confirmed that the second tube is pre-owned so it can’t receive any warranty. The matching is bellow average according to WE.

BTB Elektronik basically sold me a used tube as new, which explains the missing warranty card. In addition to that they sold the set as factory matched, which is factually wrong according to the manufacturer.

I guess it qualifies as a scam.
Go get em!

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #2,698 of 2,830
@Leto Dal - You made the right call. There has to be other shops in Germany that can get you these, no?
You will have peace of mind once you get a true matched pair.
Just curious, did you even receive the wooden box that comes with a matched pair?

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,699 of 2,830
@Leto Dal - You made the right call. There has to be other shops in Germany that can get you these, no?
You will have peace of mind once you get a true matched pair.
Just curious, did you even receive the wooden box that comes with a matched pair?
Actually it seems to be the only German dealer that offers them
If someone finds another, please let me know

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #2,700 of 2,830
Actually it seems to be the only German dealer that offers them
If someone finds another, please let me know
From the WE website, authorized dealer:

Audio Reference GmbH
Alsterkrugchaussee 435, 22335 Hamburg, Germany
+49 40 53320359
audio-reference.de

Users who are viewing this thread

Back