HIFIMAN Edition X Loaner Program
Jan 18, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #106 of 173
Thank you to HFM for the privilege of auditioning the Edition X headphone, which I just spent the last 5 days enjoying.  My review as requested (cut and pasted from the main X thread) -

Thanks to the HFM audition program, I was fortunate to be one of the chosen few to check out the X and as agreed here's my take/review of this fine headphone.

I listen out of a Pioneer Spec system - a 1978 unit that was top of the line at the time.  It's fed with multiple sources - an iPhone5 running EQ10 app or Pandora via a NuForce iDo DAC (an excellent little unit that uses the Apple TV remote (to start and stop tracks, advance tracks as needed), a Pioneer PDR609 CD player/recorder and a vintage Pioneer PL-S50 turntable.  All three sources were used in the evaluation. 

Presentation - lovely packaging and presentation - the box, internals and way the headphones are presented to you is quite nicely done.  Much like the HE-6, it comes in a sturdy box (sturdy enough) with cut out foam that fits quite well.  Like how well the foam fits and the removable cover that hides the cables is well executed.

Fit and finish - no complaints here on this pair.  I have read numerous other reviews where the headphone finish was marginal but haven't noticed anything that seems out of place with the loaner I received from Grizzlybeast.  One side of the plastic (!) gimbals is a bit loose so I guess you could deduct some points for lack of impeccable finish but overall they were pretty nicely put together - but for $1800 they should be, right?  Not a big fan of all the use of plastic but it does cut down on the weight so there is that.  They clamp nice and tight, a positive to my liking.  However, for my head I was at the smallest setting...............even with a ball cap on.  So that's gotta be a negative for ladies or someone with a smaller head.  Also, when I took it one click down, my ears touched the dust cover - not good.  Not enough depth on the pads in my opinion.  And that "flybridge" squarish metal band - honestly I think they look ridiculous on the head.  Had my wife put them on..............and laughed out loud at them.  I know, when they are on the head it doesn't matter but I like a good looking headphone.   A note about the pads - I noticed them feeling a bit "scratchy" to my ears along with the depth issue. 

The system driving the X............

Sound - I listened to them along with my ENIGMAcoustics Dharma, Sennheiser HD800 and Denon LA7000 for comparison purposes during my time auditioning them.  They are excellent sounding headphones overall but against this lineup they would rank last.  Here's why -
     Bass - yes, I'm a basshead at heart but what I'd now call an audiophile basshead, loving the deep sounds of the audio spectrum but with the clarity and cleanliness that allow you to feel the thump without the muddiness of my earlier days with headphones like the Sony XB500, my entry into the basshead world.  The X has good bass but I'd call it, as others have said, "soft" compared to all the other headphones.  Yes, even the HD800, out of this Spec system, has exceptional bass that is precise and hard hitting.  The X had enough rumble to satisfy me so I'd say it's quite adequate with the low end. 
     Mids - an excellent headphone for vocal music.  Kem is one of my test artists and his deep, strong voice is well presented with the X.  Better than the Denon's, which are considered "V shaped" which I love and which is my favorite sound signature (own the D2000, D5000 as well as my fully modded LA7000). 
     Treble - again, the X seems "rolled off" or soft on the highs.  All three of the other headphones have outstanding treble response with the Dharma being the king of this grouping, with it's electret tweeter.  No real complaints with the X, just not as good as the other three. 
     Soundstage/imaging - lots of guys liked the wide, expansive soundstage but for me, comparing it to the king of soundstage (HD800) and the Dharma (which has excellent width) it was only so-so.

The X, though I read a lot of guys saying they are good out of portable sources, really seemed to like the power of the Spec system (which boasts 250wpc) and I volume matched it with the Dharma and it took more volume knob than the Dharma.  Interesting. 

Value - no way would I pay $1800 for the X.  Compared to the Dharma ($1099) and the HD800 (I paid $990 via Amazon), it just isn't the quality of sound or construction to even consider being hundreds of dollars more than my other top end headphones.  It's an excellent headphone and to folks stepping up from mid-tier offerings, it's probably noticeably better than most but when you own three other headphones that are clearly preferred to my ears, it's not a value proposition. 

I appreciate being on the audition tour (thank you HFM!) and was hoping for a "HE-6 replacement" or at least a headphone that wowed me like the HE-6 did.  This did not.  I love the HE-6 (sold about 6 months ago) as well as still owning and loving the HE-400 (full open grill mod, Lohb headband pad, Audeze Vegan pads) which I drive out of the speaker taps of the Spec system and consider an outstanding headphone.  I'd go so far as to say I prefer the HE-400 to the X due to the incredible bass it brings.  So I like HFM products a lot and have heard most of their offerings - was on the audition tour for the HE-400i (did not like it near as much as the HE-400) and HE-560 (which I spent a month with comparing it head to head with the HE-6 which trounced it big time).  I'm still waiting for the HE-6 replacement..............

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #107 of 173
Headphones are shipped to Vividcard this morning. 

Thanks again, HFM! 

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #108 of 173
Just a note: The main reason a 4-pin XLR or similar balanced cable is not included is to discourage the use of high output amplifiers. In general, a balanced topology may double a number of things, but the key here is output power. This is, of course, not true for all cases.

During testing, the Edition X did not respond well to excess amounts of power, and had very audible distortion as a result. In fact, you even risk the potential for damaging the driver as well if you are not careful.

Just a friendly reminder to use common sense when driving a headphone with this level of sensitivity. You also lose a lot of headroom with the limited volume range.

For those of you who are writing reviews, please do keep in mind the intents and purposes of this headphone. It is NOT intended for full desktop solutions, but rather for simple setups that do not really need to acquire additional scaling components. There has been too much negativity associated with cost. We will look into build quality issues, as have been reported.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #109 of 173
Received the Edition X package from Oregonian today. I must say that my initial impression echo others. I am happy with the sound for sure. But the Plastic Gimbals that hold the cups are disappointing. Even my HE-400's have metal gimbals. For 1800 dollars I wasn't expecting to see  much plastic on them. But I also understand this has been a build quality concern. Hopefully this will be looked into. Otherwise they have been grabbing the eyes of my office coworkers lol.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #110 of 173
@Hifiman @TeamHiFiMAN Has any word been heard about the East cost tour? The defective unit was sent back by the 1st in the tour I believe he said 9 days ago and has yet to receive another. So so far ours literally hasn't even started yet.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #111 of 173
  @Hifiman @TeamHiFiMAN Has any word been heard about the East cost tour? The defective unit was sent back by the 1st in the tour I believe he said 9 days ago and has yet to receive another. So so far ours literally hasn't even started yet.

I second this. I'm curious to know if our leg of the tour is getting a replacement? I know @Army-Firedawg has unboxing and review videos planned as well, and it would be a shame to miss that..

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #112 of 173
I received the California pair today.  They're still in the box as I just walked in the door but I look forward to opening them and listening to them tonight.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #113 of 173
  I received the California pair today.  They're still in the box as I just walked in the door but I look forward to opening them and listening to them tonight.

Let me know how you like them.
Check out the grilles and tell me I'm not delusional.

I second this. I'm curious to know if our leg of the tour is getting a replacement? I know @Army-Firedawg has unboxing and review videos planned as well, and it would be a shame to miss that..

I hope you guys get a chance to listen to it without too many delays.
I know HIFIMAN is having a relocation and orders are currently slow/delayed.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #114 of 173
I think I see what you mean about the inner-grilles.  They seem to be somewhat higher (if earcup were on the table with the pad facing down) at the base near where the connectors attach and do not appear to be all that flat up to the part closest to the Edition X logo.  I can't tell if they are actually dented though or if that's simply how they were constructed.

Aside from that, the California pair appears to be in proper working order with no visible signs of damage or issues that I can see.  Plugged in to my phone and desktop set up they play music via both cables.

Now, for some listening.   

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #115 of 173
Guys, the grill is NOT dented. It is actually designed that way.

Please stop commenting that your grill is dented, because it actually appears on all units! Don't want people confusing this with bad build quality.
biggrin.gif

We are working on getting @Mshenay and his group's unit back on the tour and running again. However, initial tests showed that there were no issues with the connection...

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #118 of 173
Many thanks to Hifiman for setting this loaner program up. 

I am absolutely in love with the Hifiman edition x (HEX). It has absolutely shattered my preconceptions about headphones and have really turned my headphone world upside down. I haven't enjoyed my music this much in quite some time. The comfort + sonic ability makes for a mind boggling package that needs to be heard to be believed! The portable friendliness is very much welcomed given that I still prefer to listen to my iPod classic and BlackBerry around the house ver anything else at the moment.

The sound is balanced, relatively neutral with some natural warmth in the midrange. The soundstage is just sublime, with fantastic width and depth. The height could be a bit higher, but for the music I listen to, its just perfect. The balanced soothing sound signature is something that just beckons me to dig out my old old music for just one more listen. Been a major eye opening in terms of what a full size can really do! The treble was detailed while not sounding bright, even after long listening sessions I didn't experience any tinnitus nor ear fatigue. I know that some headphones go for enhanced treble to give a sense of increased detail retrieval, but I am glad Hifiman didn't go down that route. The Mojo impressed me for the same reason, excellent detail retrieval despite the darker sound signature, compared to something like my Geek Out V2 (ESS9018 dac).

The comfort is another aspect that really threw me for a loop. The Edition X is stupendously comfortable, second only to my Sony MA900. The clamp is just enough that it won't slip off, but not too much that it detracts from the music enjoyment. The comfort alone is what will keep me acquiring headphones such as the ZMF Omni and Blackwood. They were fantastic sounding headphones but the discomfort, heavy weight and sensitivity to how its fitted on my, head kept me from really enjoying them. Comfort has been one of my top criteria lately when trying out headphones.  If you can't tell already, I am absolutely in love with the Edition X. I have used them for gaming as well, with the E17 as a dac for my Playstation 3, and the HEX handled everything like a champ regardless what I threw at them. I am listening to them out of my phone aright now, and I can't believe the sound I am getting out a cell phone! 

The build quality leaves a lot to be desired however. I would expect something better built for its price tag, and the cable connectors do worry me, with regards to their long term durability. But given that most people will baby these headphones at home I suppose they might hold up well, but again for the price I would expect better construction. When I tried the HD650, the quality of construction was what grabbed my interest. If a headphone in the sub $500 category can feel so good in the hands, Hifiman has no excuse imo. but given all that, I still love love the HEX, best headphone I have heard to date, by a large margin. So good intact that I am contemplating selling off a few things and saving up for it, build concerns be damned. Darn it, I shouldn't have signed up for this tour 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #119 of 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back