HIFIMAN Edition X Loaner Program
Jan 30, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #121 of 173
Just sent the Edition X to the next loaner several days ago. I really appreciate this program and this listening experience. I would definitely attend again if there's a chance.

There are many reviews of this headphone on the forum now so my review would not be very comprehensive. I personally own the HD800s and have listened to several flagship headphones several times such as the HEK, SR009, SE-master 1, etc. Mainly I compared the HEXs to the HD800s on my system and most of my impressions would be based on that. My system is Macbook Pro- Chord Hugo- MicroZOTL2. I also tried the HEXs along with my Fiio X7 and Fiio X7- Chord Hugo.

Build, box and some general stuff: there are many reviews talked thoroughly about the this so I will just talk about the problems I found here. The box feels solid outside but cheap inside. To my knowledge the inside is the same as the HE560s, which is a shame for a $1800 headphone. The built of this headphone feels better than the HEKs, much more solid and has a more sense of beauty. I was worrying about dropping the HEKs on the ground and it will break apart but I don't have this feeling on the HEXs. The shape of the HEXs and the HEKs are very similar. But the HEK's headband is larger and more flexible, which is better than the HEX's. The HEXs used the same headband as the HE560s. I don't feel very comfortable with this headband myself due to my large head. Also my ears are always touching the drivers. This design really should be reconsidered by the Hifiman in the future.

Sound: My music genres are classic, pop and acg music. Basically, the HEXs feel very musical, with very relaxed lows, lush mids and somewhat laid- back highs. The bass feels solid but does not extend very low. The speed of bass is rather low so I guess on certain music they may feel disordered, though I don't have this feeling on my music styles. The mids is quite good and very Hifiman sounding. I strongly doubt if the HEKs have better mids than the HEXs (almost the same when driven well). It just feels lush and beautiful. The highs would be a complain since I personally feel it's pretty dark and lack some detail that should be in the music. The highs lack the energy when it should have as well.

Compared to the HD800s, the HEXs have better musicality but lack transparency and the accuracy of sounding (imaging). Bass are different styles, the HEXs feel more relaxed but HD800s have better speed. The HEXs win on the mids definitely. For the highs, HD800s provide better details and imaging. I switched the HD800's original cable to Siltech cables so the highs are not too harsh. HD800s also have better soundstage, larger and more structured.

On different gears: surprisingly the HEXs didn't sound better on the MZOTL2 than with Hugo along. I can hear some distortion in the middle of the sounding, though bass slam much harder and the overall picture is larger. With X7- Hugo the sound feels more like a whole and the distortion is gone. It's the best sounding I found. With X7 itself it sounds good as well. But you can't get a nice sounding with just a phone, though I would describe it as listenable.

Last I want to say is that IMO the HEX is priced higher than it's performance, a price around $1200 would fit the market better since it cannot beat flagship headphones above $1500 like HD800s when you do have some better gears. But if you want a headphone for travel and to listen in a hotel, then getting these at a cheaper price can be really nice.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #122 of 173
Thank you very much to Hifiman for putting on a loaner tour of the Edition X and for allowing me to participate.  I used the X to listen to mostly FLAC files ripped from CDs from my computer through an Asus DG optical out to a Schiit Yggdrasil to a Schiit Ragnarok.  I used the Sennheiser HD 650 and HD 800 for comparison (although predominantly the latter).  After a week with the X, here are my thoughts regarding my experience and perceptions.

COMFORT AND BUILD

When I put on the X, I felt a slightly above average clamp force and felt the bottom "tip" of non-circular cup on my jaw bone even when shortening the X to the smallest size possible.  The HD800 almost do this too, but don't have the clamping force and, to me, are a bit more comfortable.  Wearing the X and not moving is rather comfortable.  Moving my head left or right and they would press against my head/face.  They also got a little warmer than I would prefer, but not overly warm.  Overall, I preferred the HD800 but did not object to the X.  For perspective, the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn is the HD700 and the least comfortable is the HE-560 (unbelievable clamping force and heat) with the Audeze LCD3 and LCDX towards the bottom. 

I greatly appreciated the new simple plug connectors compared to the Hifiman screw in connectors used previously.  I have owed three pairs of Hifiman phones with those and find them to be the most difficult and annoying headphone connector I've ever used. 

I don't believe that just because something is plastic that it is of poor build quality.  I did have an issue with the plastic on the X though.  When I removed the headphones, I would hold a cup in each hand, pull them away from my ears a little, and set them down.  The first few days when I would do this, something would occasionally creak right when I started to pull the cups away from my ears.  I believe it was the right "yoke" (I think that's the word), the Y shaped piece that holds the cup and connects to the headphone frame.  I was very worried I was going to break them simply from removing them from my head.  I tried to figure out a better way to remove them, but it seemed like one almost has to grab some part of that yoke piece.  I exercised extreme care when removing them and nothing bad happened.  I've never had any build quality issue with the HD800.

SOUND
The bass worked for me.  I compared the bass directly with the HD650 and while I felt the HD 650 had more bass, the X sounded a fair amount clearer or perhaps "tighter" is the word.  I preferred the X there.  I didn't perceive a noticeable difference in the tightness or crispness of the HD800 and X. 

I did, however, notice more detail in the bass on the HD800.  In a really fast drumbeat (like almost a drum roll) the HD800 seemed to have a better defined start/stop of each hit.  Overall, I perceived more detail or felt detail was more obvious on the HD800 overall.  If I listened to the X, then the HD800, I tended to notice things/details more on the HD800.  I'd go back and listen on the X and find that they were there, but not as obvious or present as with the HD800.

Initially, I felt that male vocals sounded better than female vocals which seemed recessed.  However, by the end of the week, that perception had faded.  This was a great surprise to me.  I'm not sure if I simply got used to them or if it had to do with headphone placement on my head during different listening sessions, different volume levels, some other change with the headphones, or if maybe my rather new Yggy was still changing.  

The treble on the X was mostly fine, but in a few places, horns didn't sound quite right.  I preferred the treble on the HD800 (I actually don't have any objection to the stock HD800 treble...which may say something about my hearing).  I did perceive more detail in the HD800 treble.     

The sound stage on the HD800 is bigger than that of the X.  Whether somebody likes the more "intimate" smaller sound stage or more "open" wider sound stage may be a personal preference.  I prefer the larger sound stage of the HD800.

Overall, I did like the Edition X sound.  If I had listened to it and did not compare it to other cans, I could certainly use it as my sole pair of headphones and be happy.  However, when comparing it with the HD800, the Edition X is surpassed in comfort, build quality, detail retrieval, and treble and doesn't exceed in any category in my opinion.  Then, there is the Hifiman price of $1799.99.  While the MSRP for the HD800 is $1599.95 I got my pair, new, for significantly less from an authorized dealer giving an even greater difference in cost.  I don't feel the Edition X headphones are worth the asking price.

A few random notes:

- I plugged the X in to my phone upon unboxing it just to see what would happen.  I don't listen to full-sized headphones on my phone so won't offer any analysis, but will say it seemed fine.

-I did not volume match well.  Using the XLR output on the Rag for the HD800 and the 1/4" jack for the X, the HD800 was definitely louder by about 1.5-2 db per my SPL meter.  I changed the volume one or two clicks on the volume wheel when going from one to the other sometimes to try to get close.  It is possible that much of my experience was due to the different volume levels.

-Speaking of volume levels, the X was so much more enjoyable when I turned the volume up louder than I normally listen.  At low volume I have a note that they it sounded boring and muted but turning up the volume really brought it to life.  While "louder is better" is an overall general observation, it seemed to make a larger difference that I am used to hearing. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #124 of 173
Is this loaner still active, for reviewing and listening would be really interested in comparing to my 560s

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #128 of 173

If @Zida fails to respond, we can arrange to return the unit.

Has @Armaegis received the Edition X?

I have not received anything, not has anyone asked for my address yet...
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #133 of 173
Oregon tour unit has hit a snag. The left cup female connector seems to have some kind of intermittent connection causing audio to drop when the unit is subjected to mild movements (such as those found when walking while listening). RMA is currently in the process. Will keep you all updated as more information is determined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back