**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #21,451 of 22,116
So true. My PSBs were SO nice yesterday. But, serious ear fatigue - maybe its the slight pressure directly on my ears, or some extra "energy" in the sound.

I could never get rid of my HE-400s - they may be "colored" but they are endlessly fun to discover music with, EQ, and so on.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #21,452 of 22,116
Hello fellow Head-Fiers.  

I am having a frustrating problem with my Hifiman He-400.  The original cable that came with the cans has become faulty, specifically in the right ear.  The cable has become worn and torn and eventually the screw pin came out of the cable.  I recently just purchased a new cable off of Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-HiFiMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-HE-560-Headphone-Neutrik-Canare-Cable-/171967950803?hash=item280a16afd3:g:cqgAAOSwd0BV3Rap

I received the new cable today in the mail and was excited to set it up so I can return to my wonderful listening experience with my 400's.  I screwed in the hifiman connectors and plugged in my amp.  Only to discover that I dont believe that the cable is the problem.  The right ear is reproducing a garbled sound. For a few seconds sound will come back to 100% but only for a fraction of a few seconds.  This is infuriating me.

So I am reaching out to the community if anyone has had a similar problems or if there is some options for me.  

Thank you for reading and listening.  

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #21,454 of 22,116
Seriously, why do people not just put the L side on the right side, and R side of the cable on the left cup and see if the issue switches to the other cup? If it does, it's obviously the cable. If it's STILL on the right side, it's either the connector (which isn't a rare issue on the older Hifiman connectors like the one the 400 uses, or maybe the driver itself.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #21,455 of 22,116
Seriously, why do people not just put the L side on the right side, and R side of the cable on the left cup and see if the issue switches to the other cup? If it does, it's obviously the cable. If it's STILL on the right side, it's either the connector (which isn't a rare issue on the older Hifiman connectors like the one the 400 uses, or maybe the driver itself.

With all due respect, a simple channel swap for testing purposes may seem obvious to us but not everyone, we all had to start somewhere. His headphone inventory (other than the 400) comprises of cans that use single-entry cables so perhaps swapping didn't come to his mind immediately. Looking at your signature, of course I know you meant no offense by your post, so cheers anyway!
beerchug.gif

@BVOX810, I hope it is just a cable issue.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #21,456 of 22,116
Don't forget to Check at the source! What is the source? Use another pair of headphones if you have them, to verify that both channels are fine.

A little "wiggling" of the connector was once necessary with my O2 before I fixed it's ground lead. To this day, I still given the input side a little "wiggle" one in awhile as the connectors are cheap.

On my HE-400s, the cable is slowly tearing on the L Channel. On occasion, The SMC male screw "backs itself out" due to the twisting pressure. All in all, a very stupid design in many ways.

Other than simply swapping cable sides, I recommend "wiggling" and double-checking that the connection is secure and properly screwed in (without being over-tightened). Seems unlikely that you would have blown the R channel unless you applied stupid amounts of power.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #21,457 of 22,116
  On my HE-400s, the cable is slowly tearing on the L Channel. On occasion, The SMC male screw "backs itself out" due to the twisting pressure. All in all, a very stupid design in many ways.

Do you counter-twist them before screwing them in? It alleviates the pressure on mine quite decently, although my cables aren't the stock ones.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #21,458 of 22,116
  Do you counter-twist them before screwing them in? It alleviates the pressure on mine quite decently, although my cables aren't the stock ones.

Yes - I do what I can to hold the cable still while tightening the nut. It doesn't matter as it take more dexterity than I have to do it perfectly. The R Channel has always been much easier to insert and tighten without torquing the cable sleeve.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #21,459 of 22,116

Yes - I do what I can to hold the cable still while tightening the nut. It doesn't matter as it take more dexterity than I have to do it perfectly. The R Channel has always been much easier to insert and tighten without torquing the cable sleeve.

Guys, I'd also suggest getting a 6mm open end wrench to gently tighten the nuts with while holding the metal section just above the connector.  Keeps the alignment and helps ensure the nut doesn't come loose.  Mine has never loosened up using this method.  Just don't overtighten............

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #21,460 of 22,116
I've never had a cable come lose yet, I always counter twist before threading and if it does not tighten I hold the nut and counter twist the cable again.  I have a 6mm open end but have never used it since the threads on the SMC connectors are not that strong, too easy to strip them.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #21,461 of 22,116
I should have included that I tried that prior to this original post, so yes, the right cup is the problem, 

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #21,462 of 22,116
I should have added that I already tried that prior to the original post.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #21,463 of 22,116
Thank you for the advice, I will try to see if i can maybe determine whether the nut is loose, or perhaps too tight.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #21,464 of 22,116
Just got a pair of these from another head-fi member. Supposedly "near mint" doesn't include the fact that everything smells of HEAVY cigarette smoke. Seriously, most of the schiit is unusable.

I washed the veleur pads in warm water and dish soap. Got them in the dryer currently with a dryer sheet on low heat. What can I do about the leather headband?

Even the cables smell terrible. I was happy they came in the original box and everything, but I'm just gonna toss that in the dumpster now.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #21,465 of 22,116
Just got a pair of these from another head-fi member. Supposedly "near mint" doesn't include the fact that everything smells of HEAVY cigarette smoke. Seriously, most of the schiit is unusable.

I washed the veleur pads in warm water and dish soap. Got them in the dryer currently with a dryer sheet on low heat. What can I do about the leather headband?

Even the cables smell terrible. I was happy they came in the original box and everything, but I'm just gonna toss that in the dumpster now.

Try some leather cleaner and conditioner, I've used this on cars where the owner was a smoker and it helped to give the new leather smell again and mask over smell of the smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back