**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #21,466 of 22,116
Try some leather cleaner and conditioner, I've used this on cars where the owner was a smoker and it helped to give the new leather smell again and mask over smell of the smoke.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Just opened up the grills, the white plastic housing is turning yellow. This is disgusting. The plastic earcups even smell like cigarettes.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #21,467 of 22,116
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Just opened up the grills, the white plastic housing is turning yellow. This is disgusting. The plastic earcups even smell like cigarettes.

I guess when ever I buy used stuff I'm going to ask if they were smokers, don't want to go through what you are going through.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #21,469 of 22,116
To be fair, it could be in a heavy smoker's home and be near mint. The HE-400 may habe been left out on a headphone stand without use, but exposed to the in home elements.

I have never smoked, or never would, mind you, but these are questions the buyers should ask if it's a big deal.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #21,470 of 22,116
To be fair, it could be in a heavy smoker's home and be near mint. The HE-400 may habe been left out on a headphone stand without use, but exposed to the in home elements.

I have never smoked, or never would, mind you, but these are questions the buyers should ask if it's a big deal.

The seller is working with me and is very communicative. To address your point though, a buyer should not have to ask if it will smell like smoke. That is a pretty significant quality issue that should be disclosed that absolutely impacts the condition.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #21,471 of 22,116

Just to make sure, you know about the revisions of the HE400?

If that plastic is not transparent and is yellowish / bone-like color you could have one of the bad/faulty revisions...

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #21,473 of 22,116

They are a little transparent.  Only a slight, maybe not even yellow, but off-white coloring.  Could even be due to normal wear and tear and not smoke I suppose.  It is hard to see the transparency in the photo, but they are a little. You might be able to see the magnets through it if you look hard along the top and sides.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #21,474 of 22,116

Idk what your talking about.  Mine sound good though.

you can read a bit here or here

There are some pics to compare too... On Revision 3 the grid is more yellowish/sand color and not transparent at all
it seems these had some strange problems in the treble...

but yeah, yours are slightly transparent, these are fine.
I think you should always check this when you get used HE-400.

Sorry if I made you worry...

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #21,475 of 22,116
  you can read a bit here or here

There are some pics to compare too... On Revision 3 the grid is more yellowish/sand color and not transparent at all
it seems these had some strange problems in the treble...

but yeah, yours are slightly transparent, these are fine.
I think you should always check this when you get used HE-400.

Sorry if I made you worry...

No worries.  Mine look even more transparent in person.  Definitely not like those in the links you posted.

EDIT:  So far I'm really liking the sound.  Weight is a non-issue.  After owning the LCD-2 for awhile, these feel much lighter in comparison.  Already I'm in love with the low notes.  

I downloaded the Equalizer APO from sourceforge to do a system wide EQ setting to tame the treble.  Is this a good one to use?  Haven't dabbled very much in EQ.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #21,477 of 22,116
@mysticstryk
 I think those are revision 4 HE-400, the latest ones with no problems.  I don't think there are too many Rev 3 still out there since most were returned for Rev 4 which Hifiman was really good about exchanges.

They sound great! Been airing them out all day as well.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #21,480 of 22,116
Just got a pair of these from another head-fi member. Supposedly "near mint" doesn't include the fact that everything smells of HEAVY cigarette smoke. Seriously, most of the schiit is unusable.

I washed the veleur pads in warm water and dish soap. Got them in the dryer currently with a dryer sheet on low heat. What can I do about the leather headband?

Even the cables smell terrible. I was happy they came in the original box and everything, but I'm just gonna toss that in the dumpster now.

Sorry to hear that. If it is any consolation, I once bought some "mint" used headphones from the Internet, and they arrived broken. To make a long story short, the seller acted "surprised" but I smelled a rat - clearly they were trying to dump a broken product to some unsuspecting buyer. it was a sour and disappointing experience and as close to "scam" as I ever want to get! Luckily, I got my money back, and they got a negative review.

Smokers can't always smell their own stink - and unfortunately plastic can absorb the stink all too easily and it is hard to get out. Plus a lot of smokers would deny that they smoke (its that sham-ey world we live in today + everyone knows the things kill). Plus smokers are aware that their ability to sell would most likely sink like a rock if they wrote - "product X / couch / headphone / TV for sale - heavy cigarette stink included!" There is at least a possibility that the person(s) shipping the things were heavy smokers, but this doesn't sound like that.

Anyway, I would try soaking the pads in some 50/50 diluted white vinegar and water as well. OR, you can add some white vinegar to the washer with your detergent. That is how I got the stink and oils off my clothes after an apartment fire years ago - only took about 3 washes! You MIGHT be able to spray the headband and other parts of the phones as well, to battle the scent, but I would be wary of damaging the driver (so far, I know vinegar will damage the finish of marble, but other common surfaces are unaffected). A little baking soda powder sometimes can help. Perhaps a little febreze.

Best of luck! Keep airing them out near a window or something as well, the worst of it should dissipate over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back