Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 12, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #8,912 of 14,386
I dont know why the M50X is so hyped in the other community. Maybe most of the owners dont really care about the sound anyway and did not bother to listen to other headphones. 

May 12, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #8,913 of 14,386
  I dont know why the M50X is so hyped in the other community. Maybe most of the owners dont really care about the sound anyway and did not bother to listen to other headphones. 

Worst thing that i recommended them to my friend :frowning2: He wanted to spend around 150EUR and they came to my mind because all of  this hype around them... But he had an audition before purchase, and still seem to like them.

They are not so bad though, most tracks are pretty enjoyable, and only some are bad, maybe they have some dip in freq. range. 

Also i have tube amp, maybe this is about pairing, didn't tried them on my ZxR though... And if you heard only some other overhyped midrange stuff you will like them, and that's what most people do.

May 12, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #8,914 of 14,386
Well I he auditioned it then maybe he just like it. The M50x have its pros. Easy to drive from any source, usually dont need any upgrade in gear. Just play it out of an macbook anywhere any time. It has quite a good bass. I would also recommend it to my friend few years ago. But now, I would recommend  save more money and get the 400s or 400i. 

May 12, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #8,915 of 14,386
  Wanted to make a little input, got AT M50x from my friend just to try them out, and i must say i'am amazed, really amazed how 400i beat them... Of course different types, different prices but damn, such difference...

I used Focal No. 8 - The Spirit Of Sound - Cozy Powell Drum Solo track. And M50x sounded like from bucket, if you know what i mean, first i thought it is record problem, but switched back to 400i and sound changed back.

this is what's great about this hobby, the only thing that matter is what the individual likes, if the M50x is the sound that they like even after trying "better" headphones then who is to tell them otherwise?

While I love my HE-400i, I'll usually take my M50x, MDR-7506 or QC-25 when I have to travel, they all isolate very well and are easy to drive from a Fiio X1.  Both my M50x and MDR-7506 have velour pads so they are much more comfortable than the stock pads.

May 12, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #8,917 of 14,386
I am curious as to which I should purchase, the original 400's or the 400i's. I like electronic music and like bass music but I don't mind sacrificing some of the head shaking bass you can get from closed back headphones for the clarity that planar headphones provide.

May 12, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #8,918 of 14,386
  I am curious as to which I should purchase, the original 400's or the 400i's. I like electronic music and like bass music but I don't mind sacrificing some of the head shaking bass you can get from closed back headphones for the clarity that planar headphones provide.

In your case I would go for the HE-400, larger soundstage and deeper bass led me to prefer it to the 400i for electronic music. You don't really notice the mid recess listening to music in that genre either.

May 12, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #8,920 of 14,386

Thank you for your advice. I have done a lot of research and was already kinda leaning in that direction I just wanted to see what others thought as well.

Yeah, the one thing about the 400 vs 400i  is it isn't quite as comfortable stock. I got some Focus A pads and a pad that just snaps on over the headband, they are about as comfortable as the 400i with those. A little heavier but less clamping force on my upper jaw. I found I could wear both for hours though.

The stock cable wasn't exactly great either.

I'll be selling my pair soon I think, so if you're interested in a used pair, let me know!

May 12, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #8,921 of 14,386

Take a look at TH-X00 or TH-600 if you want bass, not totally closed and they have decent sound stage

May 12, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #8,922 of 14,386
Has anyone compared 400s and 400i side by side with both using the same ear pads? They are supposedly so close in sound, and the measurements with both using focus pads is about identical. What is the difference exactly then? Why the price difference? It reminds me of Grado. They also sound markedly similar within the whole family and you're paying a lot for the next step up for just a tiny bit more sound. Is that hifiman's new pricing model too? Grado is successful at it so why not?

May 12, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #8,923 of 14,386
Has anyone compared 400s and 400i side by side with both using the same ear pads? They are supposedly so close in sound, and the measurements with both using focus pads is about identical. What is the difference exactly then? Why the price difference? It reminds me of Grado. They also sound markedly similar within the whole family and you're paying a lot for the next step up for just a tiny bit more sound. Is that hifiman's new pricing model too? Grado is successful at it so why not?

I heard them with velpads on the 400s, but the sound is definitely different then. I suspect the differences I hear will not be saved by a change in pads, the 400i was IMO superior in many ways. Then again, I could always be wrong.

May 12, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #8,924 of 14,386

Thank you for your advice. I have done a lot of research and was already kinda leaning in that direction I just wanted to see what others thought as well.

I will second the vote for the TH 600. I also listen to a great deal of electronica and bass-centric music and having recently owned a well driven 400i and now a TH 600 I think the Fostex is an excellent suggestion. It has decent to good sound stage and solid bass with good quality as well as quantity. I recently found my TH 600 virtually new for $460 all included. Well worth that to me, actually a really good deal in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back