Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 10, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #8,897 of 14,386
My modded HE-400i's sound like a different headphone. Recabled with spade connectors, removed the ear pad cloth and grill cloth, and increased the earpads with 1cm sponge cut in a circle. Also added response sound deadener to the inside of the cups, boy what a different beast.

Open airy, solid, tactile. Nice.

May 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #8,898 of 14,386
^nice

I'm using all-foam ear pad now. So comfy. So airy. I likes the sound even though bass is probably rolling at 80-100Hz. Vocals sound more upfront though. I'm thinking that 2kHz dip has been fixed. Thats kind of what you see with velour to pleather pads. Hifiman pleather brings deeper bass but then a bit of dip around 2kHz. I imagine the foam is even more brining of the 2kHz since its so open. This type of thing is also seen with Grado pads. See the Innerfidelity measurements with the bowl tape mod. Its all I THINK.

May 10, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #8,899 of 14,386
  To my ears it's under powered.  You said it yourself that you listen at low volumes, so the Aune is no problem for you.  Do understand that I use the E12A Fiio most of the time with the 400I at work. When I used the  Aune, it didn't even come close to the output capability of the E12A. So   At home I use a FIIO DIY with Muses02 when watching movies and just washing dishes.  But for all out jamming, I use a full size NAD amplifier with the 400I connected to the speaker outputs(w/ variable resistor box).    

Don't bother with the resistor box, no need mate. I used the 400i and 560 directly from the speaker taps off my NAD M3 with zero issues. Same went for the TH 900, Z7 and once my adapter arrives the TH 600. Zero need for an adapter box.

May 10, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #8,900 of 14,386
Any reason to not get the Magni2U/Modi2U to drive these cans?
L3000.gif

May 11, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #8,901 of 14,386
Just pulled the trigger on the HE-400i. I can't wait to compare them to my HD-650, since many said they sold their HD-650 after hearing the HE-400i.

May 11, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #8,903 of 14,386
^ Both of them are really good headphone at the price, the most difference should be the bass. But both of them can coexist in your headphone collection and cover a wider range of music. 

May 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,904 of 14,386

In your reply to my previous post you mentioned reaching max extrusion due to bass power. I don't want to over-simplify things at all, and perhaps I'm missing something about your particular setup, but my M3 is 180watts and I simply use the volume control with no issues. And I pumped the 400i and my 560 at really loud volumes with thumping bass music (electronica) and I never had a problem. Are you perhaps having a poor seal? I know in the 560 thread early on it was identified that people were having max extrusion problems when the seal was broken. I'm not sure if this is at all related to your experience, but I thought I would mention it.

Which NAD do you have? I have been a NAD user for quite a few years myself. I at one time had a great set of 90s NAD separates, a 150watt power amp and preamp, both from the highly respected monitor series. I have also had a few good power envelope integrated amps.

May 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #8,905 of 14,386
  In your reply to my previous post you mentioned reaching max extrusion due to bass power. I don't want to over-simplify things at all, and perhaps I'm missing something about your particular setup, but my M3 is 180watts and I simply use the volume control with no issues. And I pumped the 400i and my 560 at really loud volumes with thumping bass music (electronica) and I never had a problem. Are you perhaps having a poor seal? I know in the 560 thread early on it was identified that people were having max extrusion problems when the seal was broken. I'm not sure if this is at all related to your experience, but I thought I would mention it.

Which NAD do you have? I have been a NAD user for quite a few years myself. I at one time had a great set of 90s NAD separates, a 150watt power amp and preamp, both from the highly respected monitor series. I have also had a few good power envelope integrated amps.

I have an old school NAD2140.  Nothing crazy, but it has lots of headroom. Check out my profile for my hardware list.

Bass is fine for the 400i, it's the subbass that does it.  I added some foam underneath the inside of the earpads as my only "mod".  There is enough subbass to get give my cheek bones a nice soft massage. 
The sound signature that I get, is a setup with dual 18" subs in an old school Impala.  Speakers being something like ADS separates.  So nice and clean sound, with smooth subbass.  I'm not talking about the fast bass that four 10" subwoofers gives in the same old school Impala.  It's about the same sound I was able to achieve with the Oppo PM2 at lower volume, but that headphone is just a bit too much money for a slight improvement over the 400i with my old ears.  I wouldn't mind spending the money on "better" headphones if my ears where still 20 years old.

May 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #8,906 of 14,386
Wanted to make a little input, got AT M50x from my friend just to try them out, and i must say i'am amazed, really amazed how 400i beat them... Of course different types, different prices but damn, such difference...

I used Focal No. 8 - The Spirit Of Sound - Cozy Powell Drum Solo track. And M50x sounded like from bucket, if you know what i mean, first i thought it is record problem, but switched back to 400i and sound changed back.

May 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #8,907 of 14,386
  Wanted to make a little input, got AT M50x from my friend just to try them out, and i must say i'am amazed, really amazed how 400i beat them... Of course different types, different prices but damn, such difference...

I used Focal No. 8 - The Spirit Of Sound - Cozy Powell Drum Solo track. And M50x sounded like from bucket, if you know what i mean, first i thought it is record problem, but switched back to 400i and sound changed back.

I've always thought this about the M50x. Glad to hear you're liking the 400i 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #8,908 of 14,386

yeah, as somebody who does like Audio Technica it has always been dismaying to me that *THAT* was the headphone for them that became wildly popular.  

May 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #8,909 of 14,386
  Don't bother with the resistor box, no need mate. I used the 400i and 560 directly from the speaker taps off my NAD M3 with zero issues. Same went for the TH 900, Z7 and once my adapter arrives the TH 600. Zero need for an adapter box.

I was wondering what the HE400i was like with a speaker amp, since there so much more sensitive than the other Hifiman's, I was dubious to try it out. Might give it a shot, my current headphone amp does not have the grunt the 400i's need.

May 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #8,910 of 14,386
Has anyone had a driver cut out on them? I just bought these from the Hifiman Store when they were super cheap and not even an hour in the left side cut out on me. Changing from desktop to phone as well as changing cables around doesn't help, still no sound from the left driver. Guess I need to send these in already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back