= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 9, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2,146 of 21,171
  I don't get it... after all the photos I've seen, I don't see anything particularly lacking in the HE-560's cosmetics and finish. They look good and durable.

I know on my HE-560, the headband rubs up on the housing and does scratch it if you rotate them :/  I couldn't see much more on my housings under close inspection.  Here's two pictures.  Sorry about the quality, had to shoot with my iPhone in a bright, but poor, light :p 

​
 ​
I'm sure a lot of Head-Fiers would rather the moving parts of the headband be metal rather than plastic, which would be my other complaint.  I do know someone else did talk about the cable's hollowness, which is true as well. 

I'm actually thinking about getting a cheaper, shorter cable for these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-Headphone-Cable-Furutech-Upgrade-Cable-/121176877296?  Won't do it soon, but will eventually, the 1/4" connector + adapter is about the length of my iPhone :p 

May 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,147 of 21,171
I did report this annoyance (yokes touching the wooden cups at extreme rotation angles) during the testing period, unfortunate that it didn't get remedied. I have figured out a method for permanently fixing it, but it requires one be handy with a sharp pocket knife and have some guts.

With this fix done, one could apply teak wood wax and basically eliminate the scratch marks.

May 9, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #2,150 of 21,171
 WOW I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT THE BUILD/COSMETIC ISSUES OF A HP BEFORE!
eek.gif

been reading around and makes me happy for the he-6 purchase instead of this. Its been unanimous

May 9, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #2,151 of 21,171
I feel more comfortable with plastic builds of an HE400i and HOPEFULLY matte plastic, not that garbage glossy plastic that HFM has been using as of late. Either way, I prefer plastic over wood, for durability. A good plastic will stand the test of time.

May 9, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,152 of 21,171
So will teak wood... It is the most durable kind of wood.

May 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #2,154 of 21,171
I guess then but they shouldn't be terribly scratchy. Paint chips as well.

May 9, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #2,155 of 21,171
I want a pair of these headphones...but, I must admit....those above pictures of those scratched cups are pretty annoying. 
frown.gif

May 9, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #2,156 of 21,171
FYI, The HE-560 has been removed from head-direct [checked yesterday & today]. Hopefully just maintenance.

May 9, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #2,157 of 21,171

They are very different sounding.

The Mad Dog is very flat sounding but with less bass and more mids.  It would be great for monitoring in a studio, with good isolation, but I didn't find the Mad Dog very engaging and their soundstage was a bit flat. They didn't seem warm enough in the mids for me either.

The Alpha Dog 3D was much better than the Mad Dog with more bass, warmth, and a deeper soundstage - but they were still not as musically engaging as I'm finding the HE-560 to be.  I think the Alpha Dog 3D are a great closed headphone for the studio and audiophile, but they could not be my one and only headphone while the HE-560 could be.

thanks for sharing your thoughts
i fell the same that i wouldn't have the AD as my only headphone, and i have very limited experience with closed cans, but i do love the AD's sound, and if i could get its general SQ in an open headphone, i'd be all over that ! lol
as it turns out, i've found a member who is really interested in hearing the alpha dog, and he just happens to have the 560, and we may arrange for a temporary swap of the two , i'll be able to hear for myself

May 9, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #2,158 of 21,171

thanks for sharing your thoughts
i fell the same that i wouldn't have the AD as my only headphone, and i have very limited experience with closed cans, but i do love the AD's sound, and if i could get its general SQ in an open headphone, i'd be all over that ! lol
as it turns out, i've found a member who is really interested in hearing the alpha dog, and he just happens to have the 560, and we may arrange for a temporary swap of the two , i'll be able to hear for myself

popcorn.gif

May 9, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2,159 of 21,171

They are very different sounding.

The Mad Dog is very flat sounding but with less bass and more mids.  It would be great for monitoring in a studio, with good isolation, but I didn't find the Mad Dog very engaging and their soundstage was a bit flat. They didn't seem warm enough in the mids for me either.

The Alpha Dog 3D was much better than the Mad Dog with more bass, warmth, and a deeper soundstage - but they were still not as musically engaging as I'm finding the HE-560 to be.  I think the Alpha Dog 3D are a great closed headphone for the studio and audiophile, but they could not be my one and only headphone while the HE-560 could be.

Um..what is Alpha Dog 3D
redface.gif

May 9, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2,160 of 21,171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back