= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 9, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #2,161 of 21,171
[q uote name="MattTCG" url="/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/2145#post_10531526"]
Um..what is Alpha Dog 3D:xf_eek:  
[/quote]
3 dots?

May 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,163 of 21,171
   WOW I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT THE BUILD/COSMETIC ISSUES OF A HP BEFORE!
eek.gif

been reading around and makes me happy for the he-6 purchase instead of this. Its been unanimous

May I ask what amp you plan to use with the 6? I am wondering with all the recent posts whether I should be looking at Krell/F1J/F3 etc etc. I was planning to use either the Mojo or the Zana Deux. Would love to hear owners of the HE6 comment on possible synergy with latter two amps.

Thanks

May 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #2,164 of 21,171
Someone mentioned the Alpha Dog being warmer than the Mad Dog. Must be opposite day today.

May 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,166 of 21,171
I am pretty sure there is a fix going in for the yoke so the cups won't get scratched. 

I have the revised 560's here. Does seem there is even a more cohesive sound. More integrated lower freqs and an added depth and width to the music. They sound great out of the Hugo and 901. 

May 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,167 of 21,171

I have about 80 hours on my HE-560!  What changes are being heard/perceived after the recommended 150 hr burn in time?  Hard for me to recognize the changes, and where they will eventually settle in.  So, far I think they sound closer to the HE-4, that I had previously, vs the HE-400, HE-500 and HE-6, but I only had the latter three for a short period of time.  Compared to the Oppo PM-1, I think they sound a little thin.  They remind me a lot of the T1, that I had twice previously, not the bass, but the mids, and especially the treble extension!

May 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,168 of 21,171
I just went again on the 6moons audio website to see if the review was updated with listening impressions. If you go all the way down to the second page, you will see this:

"On May 9th I got a surprise email from Peter Hoagland, Fang's PR man. "As hard as this may be to believe, Fang has identified two critical design changes he needs to make to the HE-560 so we need to bring it back and ask you to wait for its replacement before you write about it. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience. My colleague in the U.S. Summer Yin will be in contact with a prepaid return shipping label. Then one of us will let you know when you can expect the replacement."

I suppose the two changes are:
1. New pads
2. Fixed yokes (I REALLY HOPE SO)
* I don't think it is the baffle fix since they received the commercial unit with the wooden box.

Link: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/hifiman/2.html

May 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2,169 of 21,171
I just went again on the 6moons audio website to see if the review was updated with listening impressions. If you go all the way down to the second page, you will see this:

"On May 9th I got a surprise email from Peter Hoagland, Fang's PR man. "As hard as this may be to believe, Fang has identified two critical design changes he needs to make to the HE-560 so we need to bring it back and ask you to wait for its replacement before you write about it. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience. My colleague in the U.S. Summer Yin will be in contact with a prepaid return shipping label. Then one of us will let you know when you can expect the replacement."

1. New pads
* I don't think it is the baffle fix since they received the commercial unit with the wooden box.

Thanks! Back to 
popcorn.gif
 then.

May 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2,170 of 21,171

1. New pads

Mine will be getting replaced as well.  I don't know what's being fixed exactly.  I'll be sending them away this weekend :/ 

May 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #2,171 of 21,171
 WOW I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT THE BUILD/COSMETIC ISSUES OF A HP BEFORE!:eek:
been reading around and makes me happy for the he-6 purchase instead of this. Its been unanimous
That's probably because the bar has recently been raised a good bit by Oppo.
It's good to put thing into perspective: Hifiman never excelled in that area. The HE-560 is their most advanced design. The headband and ear pads are terrific! The build quality is miles away from my first HE-4.

With comfort covered, what matters is sound and durability: while I can't say much for the later, sound is an area where these headphone shine.

May 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,172 of 21,171
I feel more comfortable with plastic builds of an HE400i and HOPEFULLY matte plastic, not that garbage glossy plastic that HFM has been using as of late. Either way, I prefer plastic over wood, for durability. A good plastic will stand the test of time.

+1

I've said this before, but in my opinion, wood and headphones just don't mix. The plastic on the HE-400i makes more sense. Speaking of HE-400i, did Hifiman cancel those cans or what? Not a peep from them.

May 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,173 of 21,171
I suppose headphones are being fixed as we speak so it'll be just a week or two before they start selling them again or sending to dealers (finally ;P)
Regardless, I'll take a late release over rushed any day...

May 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,175 of 21,171
That's probably because the bar has recently been raised a good bit by Oppo.
It's good to put thing into perspective: Hifiman never excelled in that area. The HE-560 is their most advanced design. The headband and ear pads are terrific! The build quality is miles away from my first HE-4.

With comfort covered, what matters is sound and durability: while I can't say much for the later, sound is an area where these headphone shine.

Agreed, the comfort is great and, IMO, in the short time I had listening to them last night, I think they sound better than the PM-1s which I recently returned, especially in the HF.  I'll determine more about how I feel about them after the honeymoon period wears off.

I do, however, have the wear on the cups from the yolk which is disappointing.  It is interesting that it is on the back side of the left and on the front of the right, and not on the same place on the left and right.  At this point, I don't know if it is a deal breaker but it would be nice of HiFiMan to chime in here since it doesn't appear to be a one-off and they should do something about it since they were this way out of the box.  Jerg, if you could let us know about your fix, I might try that instead of sending them back because of the cosmetic issues.

FWIW, when my wife walked in and saw them on my desk, she made a comment about how nice a pair of headphones looked (she's never done this with any of my gear including the HD800s & PM-1s).  She was surprised when I told her that they cost less than the Senns and Oppos.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back