HIFIMAN New Desktop DAC/Amps: EF500 and EF499!
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #46 of 143
Is there some more information yet about how streaming will work? Will the EF499 and EF500 support Qobuz / Tidal etc?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #48 of 143
We are excited to announce our new desktop headphone DAC/AMP: EF500 and EF499!
EF500 and EF499 Put HIFIMAN Design and Performance
Within Reach of Music-lovers at Every Level

2024.2.7 FB封面.jpg

Both the EF500 and EF499 bring true audiophile-grade performance to sleek, slender designs that provide powerful output while requiring minimal space on a desk or tabletop.

The EF500 and EF499 feature industrial designs that are not only aesthetically appealing, but also serve as headphone stands, reducing desktop clutter. Included are fully balanced input/output connections, an independent power supply,and a thermal optimized tower case.

“The success of our reference desktop DAC/amplifiers is proof that music lovers are hungry to invest in gear that has a demonstrably positive effect on the listening experience” says Dr. Fang Bian, President and CEO, HIFIMAN Electronics. “With our new models, we are able to extend the benefits of these products to moderately priced models that put the sonic attributes of our sonic signature within reach of more headphone fans than ever before.”

2024.2.7 EF500.jpg
The EF500 desktop DAC/amplifier features our Hymalaya LE ladder DAC, consisting of an array of highly accurate resistors that use a “ladder” method of conversion. This approach converts the digital signal with maximum accuracy and overall musicality. Signal-to-noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, and energy consumption are at their musical and efficient best.

A highlight of the EF500 is our Hymalaya LE R2R DAC, provides unsurpassed sonic output, especially when compared to the more commonplace PCM1704k module. The Hymalaya LE, with the added support of a new algorithm and 0.01% precision resistors, reaches a THD (total harmonic distortion) rate of 0.0025% (-8dB), with distortion reduced to a previously unheard of low with no audible distractions.

2024.2.7 EF499.jpg
The EF499 offers similar benefits as the EF500, but with the familiar Philips R2R DAC architecture known for its naturally warm, full range sonics and the company’s signature sonic tuning.

Specifications:

EF500

THD+N (Line out): 0.0025% (-8dB)
Channel Separation: 131±3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: 117dB (A Weighted)
Maximum Power Output: 4.5 wpc@32Ω balanced/1.32 WPC@32Ω unbalanced
Weight: about 3.37kg

EF499
THD+N (Line out): 0.008% (0dB)
Channel Separation: 95±3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: 99dB (A weighted, AP Open Loop Test)
Maximum Power Output: 4.35 WPC@32Ω balanced/1.28 WPC@32Ω unbalanced
Weight: about 3.3kg

Both the EF500 and EF499 are available now at the retail prices of $459 and $299!

HIFIMAN Official Online Shop:
EF500: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ef500.html
EF499: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ef499.html

HIFIMAN Authorized Dealers:
https://hifiman.com/dealers
The EF500 looks interesting.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #50 of 143
EF400 was measured by someone:
3.5: 18ohm
6.35: 5ohm
4.4: 10.3ohm
XLR: 9.85ohm

no worry with high impedance headphones such as HD6xx but could be an issue (in a way that it will change the sound) with low impedance headphones/IEMs.
It is a pitty as I really wanted to try R2R tech from Hifiman so hopefully the new EF499/500 will do better
I know the high impedance might be concerning but I have a Project Solstice amp and it has adjustable output impedance.

https://garage1217.com/g1217_005.htm

L = 0.1 ohm
M = 31 ohm
H = 68 ohm

I actually think 31 ohm sounds better than 0.1 ohm on my TH900 (25 ohm). At 68 ohm it does start to sound off.

But based on this I wouldn't worry too much about the 18 ohm output impedance in actual practice.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #51 of 143
Must have missed it is a ladder r2r dac. Color me interested.
Having used the EF400 for a long while, the EF500's standing form factor only is interesting for me lol. Sadly i have not enough desktop setup usage so I may miss and not get this.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #52 of 143
Having used the EF400 for a long while, the EF500's standing form factor only is interesting for me lol. Sadly i have not enough desktop setup usage so I may miss and not get this.
The EF500 looks interesting.
Hifiman is very good in DACs but they mess up in the Amplifier engineering. That's the trend I saw with all of them.
They should make a no-nonsense DAC just for decoding (no streamer/no high-tech jargon) under $200.
It will be more interesting than their One Stop Source Solution according to me.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #53 of 143
I know the high impedance might be concerning but I have a Project Solstice amp and it has adjustable output impedance.

https://garage1217.com/g1217_005.htm

L = 0.1 ohm
M = 31 ohm
H = 68 ohm

I actually think 31 ohm sounds better than 0.1 ohm on my TH900 (25 ohm). At 68 ohm it does start to sound off.

But based on this I wouldn't worry too much about the 18 ohm output impedance in actual practice.
I think they purposefully didn't lower the Output Impedance just because they didn't want to over-correct the signals using an excessive feedback loop. So they finally decided to keep things as high quality as they could without worrying about the compatibility as such.

With this OI their own headphones should sound bad, but I have to physically listen to it, reading the spec sheet will tell half of the story. They might've done something that would not follow 1/8 rule, IDK - will have to see.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #54 of 143
Hifiman is very good in DACs but they mess up in the Amplifier engineering. That's the trend I saw with all of them.
They should make a no-nonsense DAC just for decoding (no streamer/no high-tech jargon) under $200.
It will be more interesting than their One Stop Source Solution according to me.
100% this, though it sounds like the amp is actually not bad.

But I'd still rather just get is as a cheaper and dac only unit.

Like EF200 or something with only dac portion for $200 as you said.

USB in, RCA out. NOS / OS toggle. And that's it.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #55 of 143
Where can you find information on the EF400's OI? It sounds good with my 16ohm dynamics so it can't be that bad.
EF400 = 9.6 ohm OI. Headphones.com
EF400 = 5.7-18 ohm OI. Head-fi, L7audiolab

EF600 = Apparently unknown/undisclosed OI.
EF499 = Apparently unknown/undisclosed OI.
EF500 = Apparently unknown/undisclosed OI.

@TeamHiFiMAN do you have the output impedance data for EF600, EF500, and EF499?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #56 of 143
I think that they are great looking DAC/AMPs but i don’t understand why they have XLR instead of 4.4mm connections in this somehow lower price range.
I would consider Headphones with (Stock) XLR cables in much higher price range.
While there are headphones with stock 4.4m cables in similar price ranges like this dac/amps.
I also think there are already a lot of people with 4.4mm custom cables.
I for example upgraded all Headphone’s (where it’s possible) with 4.4mm custom cables.
I think they missed a chance for people with mid priced headphones who would like to have a good priced balanced 4.4mm desktop setup (which no adapter needed).

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #57 of 143
I think that they are great looking DAC/AMPs but i don’t understand why they have XLR instead of 4.4mm connections in this somehow lower price range.
I would consider Headphones with (Stock) XLR cables in much higher price range.
While there are headphones with stock 4.4m cables in similar price ranges like this dac/amps.
I also think there are already a lot of people with 4.4mm custom cables.
I for example upgraded all Headphone’s (where it’s possible) with 4.4mm custom cables.
I think they missed a chance for people with mid priced headphones who would like to have a good priced balanced 4.4mm desktop setup (which no adapter needed).
I don't think the selection of 4.4 mm vs XLR is reflected on price.

It's more desktop vs portable gear and smaller size items they tend to pick 4.4 mm and larger item they tend to pick XLR.

This is meant to be a desktop unit so I think it makes sense they pick XLR.

For example someone with say HD6XX or Focal Clear or something will probably have higher chance to have XLR cable. And someone with a portable headphone such as Sony MDR-1AM2 will more likely to have a stock 4.4 mm cable.

Another example is Drop THX AAA amp, which is not that expensive but they still have XLR because it's desktop unit.

In fact I actually don't know too many desktop unit that only has 4.4 mm and not have XLR, unless you're talking about dongles, which is portable.

Also this is why I stick to single ended, I don't intend on buying balanced cable for every headphones (I'm poor). :joy:

EDIT: You could buy the now discounted EF400 which has all the plug types lol.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #58 of 143
I don't think the selection of 4.4 mm vs XLR is reflected on price.

It's more desktop vs portable gear and smaller size items they tend to pick 4.4 mm and larger item they tend to pick XLR.

This is meant to be a desktop unit so I think it makes sense they pick XLR.

For example someone with say HD6XX or Focal Clear or something will probably have higher chance to have XLR cable. And someone with a portable headphone such as Sony MDR-1AM2 will more likely to have a stock 4.4 mm cable.

Another example is Drop THX AAA amp, which is not that expensive but they still have XLR because it's desktop unit.

In fact I actually don't know too many desktop unit that only has 4.4 mm and not have XLR, unless you're talking about dongles, which is portable.

Also this is why I stick to single ended, I don't intend on buying balanced cable for every headphones (I'm poor). :joy:
I thought maybe as an alternative to ifi zen series.
For example HD660s has a stock 4.4mm cable.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #59 of 143
I thought maybe as an alternative to ifi zen series.
lol don't get me wrong, I actually really like iFi. But I also think they're the odd one out. :laughing:

Like they're probably the only company that do 4.4 mm balanced out from dac to amp.

I think they generally favours 4.4 mm over XLR. It's the iFi way, everyone else is just........... normal.......... LOL.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #60 of 143
lol don't get me wrong, I actually really like iFi. But I also think they're the odd one out. :laughing:

Like they're probably the only company that do 4.4 mm balanced out from dac to amp.

I think they generally favours 4.4 mm over XLR. It's the iFi way, everyone else is just........... normal.......... LOL.
That’s true ifi has kind a unique attempt here.

I owned the ifi zen can once and i could plug my hiby r6 pro direct through 4.4mm into the amp and then Sundara with custom 4.4mm cable. Was kinda a great thing everything balanced without bulky XLR.

Currently I don’t have both.
Anyway back than I wished the zen can had a dac included (and Bluetooth).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back