HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jun 3, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #346 of 1,057
There hasn't bee a post in this thread for 22 days. I wonder if this combined with the lack luster / hyperboleless review will cause Hifiman to do more design tweaking and rethink the price.

eh, I think it's just that there isn't anything to talk about.  You can only say so much about a headphone that doesn't even really exist as anything more than a prototype.  It's kind of crazy that we've talked about it for 23 pages already.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #347 of 1,057
As I continue to be seriously delinquent in posting my CanJam SoCal impressions, I'll weigh in a bit on the Shangri-La here. I first heard the setup at CES, and again at CanJam. I have to say that I liked it far better than the Orpheus II I also heard at CES, both in relatively decent environments. The Shangri-La was much warmer and musical while still having that transparent, detailed e-stat quality. My fave is still the original Orpheus, though didn't get to listen to the original at an event with either Orpheus II or Shangri-La.  (Aside: Until CanJam, I wasn't really a fan of the Stax 009, but when I heard it paired with the Woo, that all changed. But I digress...)

Fang also showed me the finished industrial design (prototype?), which I think is pretty cool and lives up to the hype. What I remember reminds me a little of modern/mid-century architectural design. I haven't seen any photos or more detailed descriptions, and hope my vague description isn't misleading. 

With pricing of this hobby all over the place, it's tough to make any real comparisons -- we all value different aspects and sound qualities/signatures in different ways, so I say to each his own. Get what you like, and embrace it. If you decide later you're ready for a change, that's exactly why we have this great community! 

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #348 of 1,057
  As I continue to be seriously delinquent in posting my CanJam SoCal impressions, I'll weigh in a bit on the Shangri-La here. I first heard the setup at CES, and again at CanJam. I have to say that I liked it far better than the Orpheus II I also heard at CES, both in relatively decent environments. The Shangri-La was much warmer and musical while still having that transparent, detailed e-stat quality. My fave is still the original Orpheus, though didn't get to listen to the original at an event with either Orpheus II or Shangri-La.  (Aside: Until CanJam, I wasn't really a fan of the Stax 009, but when I heard it paired with the Woo, that all changed. But I digress...)

Fang also showed me the finished industrial design (prototype?), which I think is pretty cool and lives up to the hype. What I remember reminds me a little of modern/mid-century architectural design. I haven't seen any photos or more detailed descriptions, and hope my vague description isn't misleading. 

With pricing of this hobby all over the place, it's tough to make any real comparisons -- we all value different aspects and sound qualities/signatures in different ways, so I say to each his own. Get what you like, and embrace it. If you decide later you're ready for a change, that's exactly why we have this great community! 

How far behind would you say the Woo-009 setup is behind the Orpheus 2 and the Shangri-La? 

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #349 of 1,057
Wow that's tough to say, subjective for sure, and influenced by lots of external factors (different times, sources, music, and environments). That said, my subjective opinion would be that on a scale of 100, I'd put the original Orpheus at a 97 (no reasons for less than 100 other than that I'm always inclined to leave room for the unknown), that Stax/Woo combo at a 93, Shangri-La at a 91, and new Orpheus at 90. That's based on nothing specific other than recollection of the overall experience with each. Hope this is more helpful than it feels, and obviously YMMV (as may mine the next time I listen!)

Mike

[edit: now I have a burning desire to pull together the Orpheus, sr009/woo and the Shangri-La to do a full review/shootout, along with my HD800 and LCD4. Pipe dreams... Of course I'd have to pull in some additional amps too...]

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #350 of 1,057
Wow that's tough to say, subjective for sure, and influenced by lots of external factors (different times, sources, music, and environments). That said, my subjective opinion would be that on a scale of 100, I'd put the original Orpheus at a 97 (no reasons for less than 100 other than that I'm always inclined to leave room for the unknown), that Stax/Woo combo at a 93, Shangri-La at a 91, and new Orpheus at 90. That's based on nothing specific other than recollection of the overall experience with each. Hope this is more helpful than it feels, and obviously YMMV (as may mine the next time I listen!)

Mike

[edit: now I have a burning desire to pull together the Orpheus, sr009/woo and the Shangri-La to do a full review/shootout, along with my HD800 and LCD4. Pipe dreams... Of course I'd have to pull in some additional amps too...]

I heard the Stax SR-009 is the beez kneez with the DIY T2. Too bad they are not commercially made.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #351 of 1,057
Any recent Shangri-La news?

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #355 of 1,057
  Fang just announce the final look and price on his Weibo. The price will be $50,000.

Source: Fang's Weibo

Lowered to $20,000 when Shangri-La V2 comes out in 6 months. Why anyone would buy this vs the Sennheiser HE-1 is beyond me. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #356 of 1,057
  Lowered to $20,000 when Shangri-La V2 comes out in 6 months. Why anyone would buy this vs the HE-1 is beyond me. 

THIS!! hahahaha

I'm sure Stax will laugh so hard in the next months.
If they could release an efficient headphone (no need for massive KG amps), with natural and organic sound signature like Omega/007 and build quality like 009 (and of course, much better sounding than all of them), no need for modding like with 007 MK2, and price it under 5000usd...bye bye Hifiman and Sennheiser.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #358 of 1,057
Does it have a Stax plug?
I mean, if one wants, can buy Shangri-la and a BHSE or a Carbon, so you get a better amp and save 35k (Sangri-la had a rumored price of 10k). 300b tubes are the worst possible for electrostatic amplifiers.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #359 of 1,057
  Does it have a Stax plug?
I mean, if one wants, can buy Shangri-la and a BHSE or a Carbon, so you get a better amp and save 35k (Sangri-la had a rumored price of 10k). 300b tubes are the worst possible for electrostatic amplifiers.

But why would you spend $10,000 on the Shangri-La headphones when you could have SR-009's? Supposedly better headphones, for less than half the price. Certainly better build quality if the HE1000 is anything to go by. I mean, ten grand for fake wood and Hifiman build quality? While Fang laughs all the way to the bank. The fact people will fall for this and buy it because it is "premium" bothers me. I feel bad for them. 

Granted I have never heard the Shangri-La, so maybe it sounds so good its worth it *Shrugs*

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #360 of 1,057
  But why would you spend $10,000 on the Shangri-La headphones when you could have SR-009's? Supposedly better headphones, for less than half the price. Certainly better build quality if the HE1000 is anything to go by. I mean, ten grand for fake wood and Hifiman build quality? While Fang laughs all the way to the bank. The fact people will fall for this and buy it because it is "premium" bothers me. I feel bad for them. 

Granted I have never heard the Shangri-La, so maybe it sounds so good its worth it *Shrugs*

I know, I agree with you.
Also, you can have 007 for half of 009 price, some bluetak and plug the ports to let 007 perform at their best. Oh, add a KGSSHV Mini and you're done!. (Yes, I don't like 009, is impressive until you hear a properly driven 007.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back