HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jan 7, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #47 of 1,085
'The new hifiman's bass hits hard but not as hard as the he1000'

lol wut?

I'm sorry but however much I can praise the bass of the he1000 - it does NOT hit 'hard'.

I'll wait for more accurate impressions.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #48 of 1,085
'The new hifiman's bass hits hard but not as hard as the he1000'

lol wut?

I'm sorry but however much I can praise the bass of the he1000 - it does NOT hit 'hard'.

I'll wait for more accurate impressions.

Well, I've also never heard an electrostatic that hits hard. I'd actually be quite shocked if the SL or Orpheus beat out a planar in bass impact.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #49 of 1,085
  I think we've finally reached that point in time where the headphone industry has joined the world of high end speakers and entered into a level of extravagance and absurdity where even enthusiasts shake their head.  Hopefully $50k headphone/amp combos don't become the new norm...

Good posting! - many music enthusiast do use headphones because of lack of financial tools to invest in real High-End setups (or space for traditional speakersetup). For "reasonable" investments people can enjoy (within compromise of headphones) music as it's used to be...

Now we can use traditional speakersetup (low cost) to reach performance of High End headphones :)!!!

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #50 of 1,085
  I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the SL will be compatible with Stax amps. That is to say, the cable type/connector and electrical requirements are the same as Stax headphones.

Similarly, the electrostatic tube amp will be compatible with Stax headphones. HFM said to me that they want to create an electrostatic amp that not only drives the SL well, but to also make Stax headphones sound better than with Stax amps.

^ This is a bit of good news though.  At least common sense prevails here.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #51 of 1,085
@chowmein83, would you post some photos of both cans? Some of us may not believe the impressions without any images.

btw, the source is a DAP, if you carry a Yggy to there at that time, do you think the HSL will surpass every single HPs in history pretty simply?

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #52 of 1,085
@chowmein83, would you post some photos of both cans? Some of us may not believe the impressions without any images.

btw, the source is a DAP, if you carry a Yggy to there at that time, do you think the HSL will surpass every single HPs in history pretty simply?

Wait, so you think he's lying about attending a trade show?

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #54 of 1,085
never said that. just wanna see some photos. you know, ice cream for eyes.

oh, sorry that I interpreted "some of us may not believe the impressions without pictures" as you saying that you wouldn't believe him without pictures.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #55 of 1,085
So this has Stax jacks? I can't wait to use these with my DIY T2 :)

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #56 of 1,085
I agree with one thing - the bass impact of the HEK/X is just Ok. Everything else (HEK) libe extension, texture and tightness is excellent.
I have yet to hear an e-stat to match any kind of planar bass though as the presentation certainly is impressive to me.
Until that day comes, e-stats are of no interest to me ( especially after the personal disappointment that the 009 was for me...)
Anyway,back to popcorn :)

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #57 of 1,085
  I think we've finally reached that point in time where the headphone industry has joined the world of high end speakers and entered into a level of extravagance and absurdity where even enthusiasts shake their head.  Hopefully $50k headphone/amp combos don't become the new norm...

Well, but with the exception that there is probably much bigger difference in sound quality between pair of speakers in price range 1500-3000$ and speakers costing 50 000$, than between headphones costing 1500-3000$ (think HD 800s, HE-1000) and 40-50k (think Orpheus 2, Shangri-La).
Sincerely I don´t care if they make some extraordinary golden headphone with diamonds and pearls on it and set the price on 1 million $, when there are headphones under 5000$  providing 99 % of the SQ. Let Ronaldos or Trumps of the world have it, if they can´t help themselves but you truly don´t need to buy wedding ring costing of thousands or hundred thousands, it won´t make your love any stronger.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #58 of 1,085
Great, so the Abyss is a step above the three headphones ...

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #60 of 1,085
If it's not made of unobtanium, it's not worth the money........   
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back