high end iems not as "high end" as I thought?
May 7, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #46 of 60
I was disappointed with Shure's SE425, playing from iPod Classic 5.5.  Found it too bright, so I'm now doing a much cheaper Nocs 500. Love it. No fuss with fitting, and more weight to the sound.

May 7, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #47 of 60
  I had a similar moment with my own XBA-H3 and my little brother's MDR-EXB50. Or 90. Not sure which one. Granted, the H3 was smoother and less harsh, but they otherwise had exactly the same kind of presentation. I paid $350 + taxes and shipping for my H3.
rolleyes.gif

haha, I compared the XBA-H3, TF10s, Heir 8.0s and some $20 jvc extreme explosives, and to tell you the truth they are all pretty close. I was surprised how good the jvcs were, though they had the smallest soundstage and worst definition, but still... very very good, if you're just out walking and not paying attention to the music it really doesn't matter.. unless you hate the sound sig or something I guess. I do love the 8.0s though.

May 8, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 60
  I was disappointed with Shure's SE425, playing from iPod Classic 5.5.  Found it too bright, so I'm now doing a much cheaper Nocs 500. Love it. No fuss with fitting, and more weight to the sound.

Aye but as mentioned it can be preferred sound sig. I have the 425 and the Classic 5.5 and I like the pairing. It's not bright to me as there's a well documented roll off and the wolfson in the 5.5 smooths things, at least to my ears. I can compare the 425 to darker, bassier iems costing twice as much but they aren't my preference. It doesn't devalue those pricier iems because someone loves them and is willing to pay.

I think it's fantastic that cheaper iems are getting better and better. However value is different to everyone. As of now I have one pair of iems somewhere in Thailand and another in China being warrantied, both around 6 months old. The trusty Shures are two and half years old and still going strong. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #50 of 60
When people try out new earphones, they listen intently to the details in the song, vocals treble bass mids highs etc. When they are more focused on aspects of the songs, eg the superb restraint and emotion of the bass player, they naturally enjoy the song more. Imo this is part of why people get hooked on trying and buying new iems. Why not do that with your existing iems? You'll appreciate them more :p
Also, I realised most forum members here don't use eq. I feel eq is extremely underrated. People often say that this iem is very detailed, has good treble etc, but has too little bass or roll of at xx frequencies and burn in/tip rolling doesn't work. Why not just eq the iems to suit ur tastes? Eq can't fix phones with drastic sound signatures or change any technical qualities of the phone eg bass quality but it can definitely make it a much more enjoyable listening experience vs tip rolling & burn in which do relatively little in comparison. Some say eq takes away from how the earphone/music is meant to sound blah blah blah but honestly if it sounds good to your ears then just do it.
For example I got my China Dqsms iems for 76 bucks. They have the sq of 200 bucks earphones but a spiked upper midrange. I eqed the spikes and now it sounds great.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #51 of 60
While there are certainly are some seriously flawed expensive IEM's and some inexpensive ones that perform above their price range, I have yet to find an inexpensive IEM that can equal the performance of my favorite more expensive IEM's (>$200).    Not to say the cheap ones can't be enjoyable, but I have always found them significantly flawed in one way or another sound-wise, and usually build-wise,  For example, my favorite cheap IEM the RHA S500 is very good and quite enjoyable and well-built, but it isn't in the same league as the T20i.

To me if you really want to examine an area where price and performance aren't hand in hand, solid state electronics, such as amplifiers, are prime examples.  TO some extent one is paying for "status", the "audio jewelry" factor.

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 60
  Definitely a good question. Before the XBA series, I went and tried every pair of expensive IEMs I could in-store, and they were terrible in one way or another. The XBA series were the first that didn't sound awful to me.

The question about it being "worth it" is one we ask ourselves all the time. For some people it simply isn't. I remember back in high school the first time I heard the pop music I liked through my father's high-end stereo system and felt the same way: Sure it was clearer, but that didn't make it more enjoyable to listen to. 

How do you try on IEM's in a store? I mean, what do they do with the tips after you try them on? Certainly you aren't using some demo tips with everyone else's ear juices on them?

Disclaimer: Yes as a matter of fact, I do live on a rock.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #53 of 60

Definitely a good question. Before the XBA series, I went and tried every pair of expensive IEMs I could in-store, and they were terrible in one way or another. The XBA series were the first that didn't sound awful to me.

The question about it being "worth it" is one we ask ourselves all the time. For some people it simply isn't. I remember back in high school the first time I heard the pop music I liked through my father's high-end stereo system and felt the same way: Sure it was clearer, but that didn't make it more enjoyable to listen to. 

How do you try on IEM's in a store? I mean, what do they do with the tips after you try them on? Certainly you aren't using some demo tips with everyone else's ear juices on them?

Disclaimer: Yes as a matter of fact, I do live on a rock.

In Japan you can now try on pretty much every model. They have wipes available to clean them before and afterwards. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #56 of 60

In Japan you can now try on pretty much every model. They have wipes available to clean them before and afterwards. 

That's awesome. Most places in Canada (Ontario at least, not sure about the rest of the country) won't let you return iems once the package is open, let alone try them out beforehand. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #57 of 60

That's awesome. Most places in Canada (Ontario at least, not sure about the rest of the country) won't let you return iems once the package is open, let alone try them out beforehand. 

In Japan, stores don't accept change-of-mind returns at all. They will go to great lengths to make sure that you are satisfied before you purchase for this reason.

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #58 of 60

In Japan, stores don't accept change-of-mind returns at all. They will go to great lengths to make sure that you are satisfied before you purchase for this reason.

So they shouldnt. I'm not a clean freak by any stretch of the imagination, but the whole concept of buying a used IEM just makes me go 'ewwww' ...... New tips ? Sure, but we're still talking housings that have been in someone else's ears. Ear wax is way nastier than a dirty headband or cushions on a fullsize phone, at least IMO. I believe the Japanese are obsessive about personal hygiene - little wonder they arent keen on IEMs being returned. 
eek.gif

My own objection to paying serious money (above 500USD is plenty serious in my world) for IEMs isnt around the sonic upgrade - its durability. Other than my Shures, every IEM I've owned has had a driver die on me, usually just outside the warranty period (although my HiFiMans didnt even make it that far). I *may* have had a similar problem with something like a KSC-75 years ago, but that's the only on-ear/over-ear headphone that I can recall dying on me. Even my Beats Solo2, a headphone widely considered a classic example of $x worth of parts being sold for 10 times the price, is much tougher than it looks and when you get to DJ phones like the HD25-1 you're talking literally decades of use (and a headphone you can fix yourself).

If there is an upside to expensive IEMs. particularly universals, its that the technological advances do seem to trickle down to cheaper models. Those of us who were here pre 2010 will know how far the in-ear market has come in a relatively short period of time, and how many more choices we have now especially under 100USD. We live in a golden age, even if you need more gold to play with the big boys than you did 6 years ago ! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #59 of 60
Wonderful post, Ivabign. I own a few Asian IEMs, and I must say the build quality is sub-par at best. None of them have adequate strain-relief, most of them have cables that are thinner than a toothpick, and half of them have dried glue protruding from the seams. I honestly cannot see them lasting more than a year with daily use. 

KZ-ED19 @ $7.64 USD x 10pcs = $76.40 USD for 10 years .
Or x 20pcs @ $152.80 per change in every 6 mths for 10 years :D

No more worries about durability . with China made cheapo products ,it's Quantity over durable .:D

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #60 of 60
When people try out new earphones, they listen intently to the details in the song, vocals treble bass mids highs etc. When they are more focused on aspects of the songs, eg the superb restraint and emotion of the bass player, they naturally enjoy the song more. Imo this is part of why people get hooked on trying and buying new iems. Why not do that with your existing iems? You'll appreciate them more :p
Also, I realised most forum members here don't use eq. I feel eq is extremely underrated. People often say that this iem is very detailed, has good treble etc, but has too little bass or roll of at xx frequencies and burn in/tip rolling doesn't work. Why not just eq the iems to suit ur tastes? Eq can't fix phones with drastic sound signatures or change any technical qualities of the phone eg bass quality but it can definitely make it a much more enjoyable listening experience vs tip rolling & burn in which do relatively little in comparison. Some say eq takes away from how the earphone/music is meant to sound blah blah blah but honestly if it sounds good to your ears then just do it.
For example I got my China Dqsms iems for 76 bucks. They have the sq of 200 bucks earphones but a spiked upper midrange. I eqed the spikes and now it sounds great.
I use eq with my p1's to boost the bass and it sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back