HM-901
Sep 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3,511 of 3,522
Will the balanced amp card for the 801 work in the 901 (not the s version0?  I don;t want to try it in case there is some issue that might damage one or the other.  I want to try some iems in balanced mode, for which I have a cable set up for the Hifiman balanced pin config.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #3,512 of 3,522
Will the balanced amp card for the 801 work in the 901 (not the s version0?  I don;t want to try it in case there is some issue that might damage one or the other.  I want to try some iems in balanced mode, for which I have a cable set up for the Hifiman balanced pin config.

Thanks!

Hi!

Yes, the older balanced card is the one to get IMHO.

There is the elfidelity balanced card and the standard balanced card. The elfidelity has the downside of not switching the gain on the 901 with the gain switch but to rely on the software switch (901s) while the older balanced card works fine with the hardware controls for gain.

However, both cards work well in the 901 - I prefer the balanced to the elfidelity balanced personally.

Cheers.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,513 of 3,522

Thanks!

Hi!

Yes, the older balanced card is the one to get IMHO.

There is the elfidelity balanced card and the standard balanced card. The elfidelity has the downside of not switching the gain on the 901 with the gain switch but to rely on the software switch (901s) while the older balanced card works fine with the hardware controls for gain.

However, both cards work well in the 901 - I prefer the balanced to the elfidelity balanced personally.

Cheers.

I would ask HiFiMan before plugging in the balanced card made for the HM-801. It could work, but it might not. (I think Koolpep's answer is regarding the original balanced amp card made for HM901, not 801.) Also, the balanced amp card for 801 hasn't got a very low output impedance IIRC, which might alter the frequency response.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #3,514 of 3,522
Lars is of course right. I was referring to the cards for 802 and up....

Quote:

I would ask HiFiMan before plugging in the balanced card made for the HM-801. It could work, but it might not. (I think Koolpep's answer is regarding the original balanced amp card made for HM901, not 801.) Also, the balanced amp card for 801 hasn't got a very low output impedance IIRC, which might alter the frequency response. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3,515 of 3,522
I checked the card I had from the 801, and it wasn't even the balanced card in the first place.  <facepalm> 
frown.gif
.  I kept the standard card and regular back plate when I swapped my 801 for the 901, and turned in the 801 with the balanced card and the protruding balanced jack...

Trying to decide whether to buy the Sony PHA-3 at work - arghhh

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3,516 of 3,522
Here's a cool version of handmade leather case for Hifiman )

www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Handmade-Genuine-Leather-Case-for-mp3-player-HiFiMAN-HM-901HM-802-Man-Woman-/131940198701?var=&hash=item1eb83fa92d:m:m2JCaUxHeHhS6A_gyhvxdtg

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #3,517 of 3,522
Hi, my normal/balanced switch causes me a lot of problems, now
when i turn it on I only hear music in the right channel, then I have to flick 
that switch about 20 times to get a centred sound, equal in both channels.
Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Even if you spend the manipulation of the sound is not completely aligned. But it seems like over time the capacitors are recruited and sound the same, but it can be addictive.[/color]
This does not affect the line out which works perfectly, only the headphones,
but it is incredibly irritating!

I know others have had this problem, but I don't know a solution, at the moment
the 901s seems the only answer.

thanks for any clues to help fix it.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,518 of 3,522

Hi, my normal/balanced switch causes me a lot of problems, now
when i turn it on I only hear music in the right channel, then I have to flick 
that switch about 20 times to get a centred sound, equal in both channels.
Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Even if you spend the manipulation of the sound is not completely aligned. But it seems like over time the capacitors are recruited and sound the same, but it can be addictive.[/color]
This does not affect the line out which works perfectly, only the headphones,
but it is incredibly irritating!

I know others have had this problem, but I don't know a solution, at the moment
the 901s seems the only answer.

thanks for any clues to help fix it.

Are you sure it is a switch and not a loose jack problem? Both jacks on my HM901 and HM802 got very loose with the time. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #3,519 of 3,522
Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Jack definitely all right, he soldered. Even is such a feature that, when he was in the pocket of a sound beating uuuuuu .... from one channel to another, then the capacitors are gaining power and restores it. And with the odd problem with my balance said that this nada clean himself perekchatel to clog the mud will clean tell. But it seems to me that somewhere drawdown nutrition because another 901 compared louder on the same card. Maybe somewhere and it falls off the capacitor uuuuuuuuuuuuu ......[/color]

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,520 of 3,522
Hello,

There are some "clearance sales", today

I have to choose between :
1. HM-901 + Standard Card at 460€ (official price here is : 750 €)
2. HM-901U + Musical AMP Card at 680 € (official price here  is : 1000 €)

For next few months, I will use the player with a Sennheiser HD598 Circum-Aural phone or in Sennheiser Momentum In Ear. Next summer, I will upgrade to a true IEM
wink_face.gif

So regardless the phone, which is the best ?
May be I am wrong, but I am worry about heat with 901U + Musical AMP Card. Actually, I red that Musical AMP Card has increased heat emission, compared to other AMP cards (see at the bottom of this page http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/musical-amplifier-card.html).

Thank you for you help.

Regards

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,521 of 3,522
  Hello,

There are some "clearance sales", today

I have to choose between :
1. HM-901 + Standard Card at 460€ (official price here is : 750 €)
2. HM-901U + Musical AMP Card at 680 € (official price here  is : 1000 €)

For next few months, I will use the player with a Sennheiser HD598 Circum-Aural phone or in Sennheiser Momentum In Ear. Next summer, I will upgrade to a true IEM
wink_face.gif

So regardless the phone, which is the best ?
May be I am wrong, but I am worry about heat with 901U + Musical AMP Card. Actually, I red that Musical AMP Card has increased heat emission, compared to other AMP cards (see at the bottom of this page http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/musical-amplifier-card.html).

Thank you for you help.

Regards

I had the original HM901 and upgraded to the HM901s while keeping my amp card. The new build is clearly better. There are no problems with the switch for balanced /single ended, because it is eliminated. The wheel is also better, that is - if it was upgraded on the HM901U too. At least it looks like that from the pictures.

Regarding the amp cards, you will have to decide if the extra heat and current draw (battery time) is an issue for you. Sound signature is also different of course. In the end you will have to decide what fits you best.

If you don't like the Musical Amp card you will be able to sell it later on, while the Standard Amp card is much harder to sell, I'm afraid.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #3,522 of 3,522
Hi, anyone with a Dock1 have an idea what brand/model to use for a universal remote control?

I believe I have a bad remote and planning to use a Harmony remote to troubleshoot my dock before buying a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back