Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #406 of 459
I agree with the other comments replied, but also would add that D16 is very musical with bass in particular having a nice analogue feel. Being 1 bit there is a nice flow to the music. I use it as a dac/amp often and the amp section too is highly capable. I did try with PB5 briefly, which adds warmth, better soundstage definition and feels more authoritive, but I was perfectly happy with the D16 on its own.
There are times with well recorded music, it is like a live feed. Excellent air, transparency and wonderful decay of notes.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #407 of 459
I agree with the other comments replied, but also would add that D16 is very musical with bass in particular having a nice analogue feel. Being 1 bit there is a nice flow to the music. I use it as a dac/amp often and the amp section too is highly capable. I did try with PB5 briefly, which adds warmth, better soundstage definition and feels more authoritive, but I was perfectly happy with the D16 on its own.
Yepe! This is very hard to achieve from digital music.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #409 of 459
and as you advised D16 better with good cables ! Silver+coax adds so much to the experience.
Could you recommend a specific cable you are utilizing? Thanks in advance.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #410 of 459
Could you recommend a specific cable you are utilizing? Thanks in advance.
I am using a custom made silver cable from D's Audio in Hong Kong. He can be found on IG. Very friendly, economical and quick. But any cable maker should be able to accomodate.

edit : just noticed your signature. if you are planning to use DC Elite to convert usb to coax, getting the poles correct is an experience. Elite needs 4 pole whilst D16 can take 2 or 3 pole. On the dc elite thread there is a wiring guide for the 4 pole end.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #411 of 459
I am using a custom made silver cable from D's Audio in Hong Kong. He can be found on IG. Very friendly, economical and quick. But any cable maker should be able to accomodate.

edit : just noticed your signature. if you are planning to use DC Elite to convert usb to coax, getting the poles correct is an experience. Elite needs 4 pole whilst D16 can take 2 or 3 pole. On the dc elite thread there is a wiring guide for the 4 pole end.

The most significant upgrades would be Coax cables and usb cables if you want higher DSD files format. But I only use DSD64 or just PCM now, and I prioritize Coax

The next one would be just as important and that is the internal cables.

IMG_1779.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #412 of 459
The most significant upgrades would be Coax cables and usb cables if you want higher DSD files format. But I only use DSD64 or just PCM now, and I prioritize Coax

The next one would be just as important and that is the internal cables.

Have you yet considered modding D16 or PB5?

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #413 of 459
Have you yet considered modding D16 or PB5?
I have tweaked PB5, because in my preferences, the PB5 has authority with amazing soundstage in addition of D16. That is for hd800s as a full size. However, the lower base and it warmth with the analog fluidity performances are too much of a good thing. I tweaked it so that it is more neutral and sounding better in my own preferences

The D16 ? As you have seen @purk posting above, I found that upgrading the output caps to Blackgate caps does a wonderful job when using D16 as a standalone device.

This is pretty much my preferences , so I am not developing any further mods

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #414 of 459
thanks @Whitigir for his advice on modding the D16 and PB5. The combo on the standalone D16 are so awesome sounding.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #415 of 459
I have tweaked PB5, because in my preferences, the PB5 has authority with amazing soundstage in addition of D16. That is for hd800s as a full size. However, the lower base and it warmth with the analog fluidity performances are too much of a good thing. I tweaked it so that it is more neutral and sounding better in my own preferences

The D16 ? As you have seen @purk posting above, I found that upgrading the output caps to Blackgate caps does a wonderful job when using D16 as a standalone device.

This is pretty much my preferences , so I am not developing any further mods

Today, I received my D16/PB5 stack. Only 2 hours of listening time, yet. I quickly tried my IEMs, very good so far but need more time and I haven't used the Utopia, yet.

But I tried the HD800s and I'm literally blown away. The Senn sounds crazy good (much better than I even hoped) out of the D16/PB5 stack. It's wonderful. Before I liked it best out of my SP3000 but it doesn't come close to the iBasso stack. I'm very happy for this use case alone!

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #416 of 459
Today, I received my D16/PB5 stack. Only 2 hours of listening time, yet. I quickly tried my IEMs, very good so far but need more time and I haven't used the Utopia, yet.

But I tried the HD800s and I'm literally blown away. The Senn sounds crazy good (much better than I even hoped) out of the D16/PB5 stack. It's wonderful. Before I liked it best out of my SP3000 but it doesn't come close to the iBasso stack. I'm very happy for this use case alone!
Yes, a true test for any portable or transportable device is how well it able to drive a hard to drive full size headphones such as the HD800 or something similar.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #417 of 459
After some additional listening time, partly „critical listening“, I find the iBasso stack to be delivering better control besides different timbre. Bass seems to be tighter, separation more articulate, intense tones more visceral. If that makes sense. Also wider/larger soundstage.

These are not huge differences on their own btw. but they do add up to an improved music reproduction. I only tested with my full-size HPs, looking forward to do the same with my IEMs.

Now I’m testing with D16 alone. First impression - different timbre again vs. added PB5 (that was expected) but also improved control, separation etc. vs. the SP3000. The D16 on It’s own is definitely very capable with my full-size headphones!

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #418 of 459
The D16 is a gem! Wish you can hear one with the Blackgate capacitors upgrade!

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #419 of 459
May I ask
Has anyone compared different digital transport for d16 and does it make a difference?

I’m currently using shanling m1S
And also desktop NUC

does ibasso 260x or other mobile DAP as transport make any difference via USBC?

many thanks

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #420 of 459
May I ask
Has anyone compared different digital transport for d16 and does it make a difference?

I’m currently using shanling m1S
And also desktop NUC

does ibasso 260x or other mobile DAP as transport make any difference via USBC?

many thanks
For the USB C connection I really like the DX260.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back