Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #436 of 459
I'm not sure if this has been answered as there i multiple threads with D16 information, but has anyone done a direct comparison between the DX320 MAX and the DX260 feeding D16? DX320 MAX seems to be a bit of a waste to use just as a transport, where as DX260 has the same SoC, slightly less ram, same software, same screen, is lighter, less expensive and potentially has an updated digital output stage?

I just went back and forth multiple times, comparing DX260 vs DX320Max as a transport with D16, using usb-c and coax connections.

From the get-go and as you are probably aware, if you are only interested in digital transport to drive D16, it will be a waste of Max's analog resources, plus your stack will be heavier/bulkier.

Now, in a pure sound comparison, with either usb-c or coax connection, I found DX260 to be a better transport source, yielding a wider soundstage and less dense and more layered mids (using Traillii Ti).

1713532572787.png

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #437 of 459
I just went back and forth multiple times, comparing DX260 vs DX320Max as a transport with D16, using usb-c and coax connections.

From the get-go and as you are probably aware, if you are only interested in digital transport to drive D16, it will be a waste of Max's analog resources, plus your stack will be heavier/bulkier.

Now, in a pure sound comparison, with either usb-c or coax connection, I found DX260 to be a better transport source, yielding a wider soundstage and less dense and more layered mids (using Traillii Ti).

1713532572787.png
Wow, that's very nice of you Twister6 to provide such a custom comparo. In case you already tried that and by memory, would you say iPhone as transport vs DX260 would be a big loss in sound quality?

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #438 of 459

1713532572787.png
Same findings for me. A little bit more 3-D sounding with slightly better clarity and focus.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #439 of 459

I do agree with Alex findings as I also have a friend @purk who can also confirm this. I have been very interested in getting DX260 for digital transport, but nowadays, my budgets is very limited.

I don’t doubt it that Dx260 is a better digital transport source just due to the new Gen 2 FPGA implementation, which is also inside the D16. So, just a layman term, a match for a match, is logically making senses

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #440 of 459
Thank you twister 6 exactly the response i was after

"Now, in a pure sound comparison, with either usb-c or coax connection, I found DX260 to be a better transport source, yielding a wider soundstage and less dense and more layered mids (using Traillii Ti)."

I guess we would have to assume the better sound of DX260 as you hear it is down to a better / different digital output stage as every other specification seems to be the same as the DX320 MAX. Even DX260 is a waste to a lesser extent as you will never use the dac section or analog output stage.

I wonder if Ibasso have a dedicated transport in the pipeline for this combination, surely it was on the table when designing them both, using all chassis space for a higher spec SoC more ram and beefier digital output stage using bespoke components.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #441 of 459
Thank you twister 6 exactly the response i was after

"Now, in a pure sound comparison, with either usb-c or coax connection, I found DX260 to be a better transport source, yielding a wider soundstage and less dense and more layered mids (using Traillii Ti)."

I guess we would have to assume the better sound of DX260 as you hear it is down to a better / different digital output stage as every other specification seems to be the same as the DX320 MAX. Even DX260 is a waste to a lesser extent as you will never use the dac section or analog output stage.

I wonder if Ibasso have a dedicated transport in the pipeline for this combination, surely it was on the table when designing them both, using all chassis space for a higher spec SoC more ram and beefier digital output stage using bespoke components.

Me <=== can’t wait for Ibasso new products
IMG_1999.jpeg

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #443 of 459
Wow, that's very nice of you Twister6 to provide such a custom comparo. In case you already tried that and by memory, would you say iPhone as transport vs DX260 would be a big loss in sound quality?

From twisters review reg USB:

• iPhone XS Max/D16 (Hiby music app) – iPhone has a similar performance w/D16 as DX260/D16.

And I think he wrote DX260 USB vs. DX260 Coax doesn’t make much of a difference. So you should be good to go with an iPhone and that’s the way I use it. Flightmode on, notifications off. Music only. It’s a mindset thing. Don’t let yourself disctract by the other apps, then It’s good.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #444 of 459
From twisters review reg USB:

• iPhone XS Max/D16 (Hiby music app) – iPhone has a similar performance w/D16 as DX260/D16.

And I think he wrote DX260 USB vs. DX260 Coax doesn’t make much of a difference. So you should be good to go with an iPhone and that’s the way I use it. Flightmode on, notifications off. Music only. It’s a mindset thing. Don’t let yourself disctract by the other apps, then It’s good.
Hey thanks much CharlyBrown, I read Twisters review when it came out but didn't remember he covered this use case, my bad!

Based on the feedback of a few people here I'm sure there are subtle positive differences when using a high end DAP as source instead of an iPhone. However I think a lot of people buy a transportable DAC or AMP because they want to use it with a phone or computer. For sure if one wants the ultimate sound solution then its the iBasso ultimate stack that Whitigir has been promoting here! :ksc75smile:

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #446 of 459
I stream from Apple Music. I use my iPhone or Mac as a source for my D16 using the stock USB C to USB C cable. It works great for my setup. When I upgrade to a new iPhone, I plan to use my current iPhone as a music only device.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #449 of 459
I'm not sure if this has been answered as there i multiple threads with D16 information, but has anyone done a direct comparison between the DX320 MAX and the DX260 feeding D16? DX320 MAX seems to be a bit of a waste to use just as a transport, where as DX260 has the same SoC, slightly less ram, same software, same screen, is lighter, less expensive and potentially has an updated digital output stage?
I am grateful that you asked this question. I have asked this several times in various theads in the past few weeks without answer, and you received three contrasted opinions immediatly. No complaining only grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back