Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #18,062 of 18,137
May 9, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #18,063 of 18,137
This is going to be interesting.

IMG_20240509_114748.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #18,065 of 18,137
Please treat us with one of your exquisite phenomenological descriptions of sound experience.
2c27680d723bfebdb7382340c13b59137ca9ac03a59a606d89bad4d1279f12d5.png

Well, Titans sound like it was Bob's work on mistakes regarding Avalon. Because as we mentioned here: after a burn in Avalon used to lose some treble. Here we've got all the richness of treble that audiophile may desire. At least from IMR community. Dynamic driver has an analogue like feedback similar to what we've got on Avalon, so slightly more tubish of a bit fuzzy, but with good body and impact. Enigmas have the DD closer for what they were on Astra ultraque - faster so they don't perceive that analogycal. I thought they would be more similar considering the same diameter, but I mistook.
Avalon are slightly more demanding regarding the amplification, I need to volume up a bit changing to them from Enigma.
So if somebody liked Avalon and wants something close but with even more bass extension and better/richer treble, this is your choice.
Enigma are clearly another generation and different approach. The transparency of the sound is the first thing that you hear after you pass from Titan. This makes enigma appear more open regarding their timbre. Overall they sound is more linear comparing to the V shaped predecessor. The bad point of this is that you need to have good quality audio or you'll be a victim of dirty flood. Avalon are more forgivable.
I'm sorry for the eventual mistakes

UPD. On titan there is some diaphragm crackle while you insert them into the ear. Fortunately Enigma lost this feature

Thanks @koledoff1986 for this opportunity

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #18,066 of 18,137
Enigma are clearly another generation and different approach. The transparency of the sound is the first thing that you hear after you pass from Titan. This makes enigma appear more open regarding their timbre.

This is how I hear them, titan are slightly warmer which isn't a negative just slightly different. I'm using Titans more as they fit slightly better even though they share the same shell :thinking:

Please treat us with one of your exquisite phenomenological descriptions of sound experience.

were-not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

May 9, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #18,067 of 18,137
2c27680d723bfebdb7382340c13b59137ca9ac03a59a606d89bad4d1279f12d5.png
Well, Titans sound like it was Bob's work on mistakes regarding Avalon. Because as we mentioned here: after a burn Avalon used to lose some treble. Here we've got all the richness of treble that audiophile may desire. At least from IMR community. Dynamic driver has an analogue like feedback similar to what we've got on Avalon, so slightly more tubish of a bit fuzzy, but with good body and impact. Enigmas have the DD closer for what they were on Astra ultraque - faster so they don't perceive that analogycal. I thought they would be more similar considering the same diameter, but I mistook.
Avalon are slightly more demanding regarding the amplification, I need to volume up a bit changing to them from Enigma.
So if somebody liked Avalon and wants something close but with even more bass extension and better/richer treble, this is your choice.
Enigma are clearly another generation and different approach. The transparency of the sound is the first thing that you hear after you pass from Titan. This makes enigma appear more open regarding their timbre. Overall they sound is more linear comparing to the V shaped predecessor. The bad point of this is that you need to have good quality audio or you'll be a victim of dirty flood. Avalon are more forgivable.
I'm sorry for the eventual mistakes

UPD. On titan there is some diaphragm crackle while you insert them into the ear. Fortunately Enigma lost this feature
Oh these essays of yours did cost me a lot of money. I don't regret it.

I am still assessing Titan vs Enigma but overall it is as you say on first impressions. I have yet to return to a long listening session with Titan, as Enigma is my everyday IEM these days. I spend some time everyday with these babies at work paired in a K11. Bass is definitely very special with Enigma. It is the most impactfull bass I've experienced in any IMR I had, more impactfull than most IEMs I've listened to. It is so palpable. I don't know if Bob did embed the DD driver on the shell to produce that effect. Treble did settle also with K11. Midrange is more forward and realistic I might say than the Harmann presentation of Avalon/Titan. But as I said I have yet to return to those in a systematic manner.

May 10, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #18,068 of 18,137
Oh these essays of yours did cost me a lot of money. I don't regret it.

I am still assessing Titan vs Enigma but overall it is as you say on first impressions. I have yet to return to a long listening session with Titan, as Enigma is my everyday IEM these days. I spend some time everyday with these babies at work paired in a K11. Bass is definitely very special with Enigma. It is the most impactfull bass I've experienced in any IMR I had, more impactfull than most IEMs I've listened to. It is so palpable. I don't know if Bob did embed the DD driver on the shell to produce that effect. Treble did settle also with K11. Midrange is more forward and realistic I might say than the Harmann presentation of Avalon/Titan. But as I said I have yet to return to those in a systematic manner.
However, I believe that enigma and titan require something more capable like a source instead of k11.

May 10, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #18,069 of 18,137
However, I believe that enigma and titan require something more capable like a source instead of k11.
Can verify that the Enigma+ sounds excellent from the Lotoo PAW6K, A&K SE180 (SEM4) and A&K ACRO CA1000. The PAW6K really matches well - it's a fantastic pairing.

May 11, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #18,072 of 18,137
I am on a search of a mid to high end dongle as my routine is being on the go and I prefer to play music from my smartphone with Usb audio pro. My office pc set is Audirvana studio and the K11 recently which is fine for now. I have a btr7 for BT, expecting my Go Pods from service and the Nyx. My M11 was given to a friend who enjoys Avalon with it. (He was shocked by the experience being a premium loudspeaker user and completely changed his mind about IEMs). I have cobalt but no balanced output there.
So I would appreciate your suggestions considering my preferences. That is, which portable usb dac/amp you would suggest?
Cayin RU7 eg? iBasso DC04PRO? ibasso DC-Elite maybe?

May 11, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #18,073 of 18,137
I am on a search of a mid to high end dongle as my routine is being on the go and I prefer to play music from my smartphone with Usb audio pro. My office pc set is Audirvana studio and the K11 recently which is fine for now. I have a btr7 for BT, expecting my Go Pods from service and the Nyx. My M11 was given to a friend who enjoys Avalon with it. (He was shocked by the experience being a premium loudspeaker user and completely changed his mind about IEMs). I have cobalt but no balanced output there.
So I would appreciate your suggestions considering my preferences. That is, which portable usb dac/amp you would suggest?
I liked the ibasso DC-Elite, it sounds very good both from a smartphone and from a computer (you need to install the ASIO driver).

May 11, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #18,075 of 18,137
@mekap has DC-Elite and Enigma+. Try some used Ak sp1000, I think it may pair up well. Sure Hiby r8 II is an ultimate solution, but it's pretty expensive.

On Titan this piece smashes!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back