- Polyphia;
- Scale the Summit;
- Sithu Aye;
- Syncatto;
- Their Dogs were Astraunats;
- Theo Young;
- Umi;
- Zac Tiessen.

Now I'm just looking for a good Headphone specifically for these bands - Instrumental Progressive Metal.
Of course, I'm gonna say great taste because it is. LOL. I listen to all of these artists religiously except for a few. I just love this genre with vocals too. Check out the Progressive rock/metal thread I started if you're into music like this, but with vocals.
How much "can you" spend on a new headphone for this type of music? I own 15 pairs and maybe 4-5 sound good to great for this kind of music. So much of this stuff is recorded like schiit and sounds the like.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #38 of 108
Of course, I'm gonna say great taste because it is. LOL. I listen to all of these artists religiously except for a few. I just love this genre with vocals too. Check out the Progressive rock/metal thread I started if you're into music like this, but with vocals.
How much "can you" spend on a new headphone for this type of music? I own 15 pairs and maybe 4-5 sound good to great for this kind of music. So much of this stuff is recorded like schiit and sounds the like.
Lovely! I have seen the other thread. Amazing. I'm really more into Instrumental Progressive Metal. Not a great fan of vocals. I listen everything a little but this is my favorite stuff. Of course I also like progressive rock like Pink Floyd and so on.

I listen with my Grados, that I like very much but I believe they are more focused on stuff like acoustics, classic and Jazz despite the RS1 buttoned being a balanced headphone.

I was looking at a used Meze Empyrean, but opened to any suggestion around 2000€ used, a little more if it is really worth it. Or less, of course! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank you and cheers.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #39 of 108
Lovely! I have seen the other thread. Amazing. I'm really more into Instrumental Progressive Metal. Not a great fan of vocals. I listen everything a little but this is my favorite stuff. Of course I also like progressive rock like Pink Floyd and so on.

I listen with my Grados, that I like very much but I believe they are more focused on stuff like acoustics, classic and Jazz despite the RS1 buttoned being a balanced headphone.

I was looking at a used Meze Empyrean, but opened to any suggestion around 2000€ used, a little more if it is really worth it. Or less, of course! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank you and cheers.
Well damn. My favorite headphone is the EMP. I've been struggling in my mind selling basically all my HP (15) to pick up a pair, but I love each one for whatever mood I'm in. But the Emp is GREAT for this type of music. I run with a schiit set-up with 2 amps, Lyr/MJ2 sitting on top of my Gumby gen 5 with ZMF Aeolus. If you can read up on or get your hands on a set, try them. They are so much cheaper than the Emp. You can get a MINT pair for under a grand. ZMF are ridiculously priced new for what you get and are steals of the hobby IMO. Retirement is GREAT. Everyone I know wonders what is up with me. 63 years old, like a kid in mind and soul because I listen to prog metal and this type of music. Schiit, I'll be listening to this stuff literally to the day I die. Literally! In May I'm seeing Plini, Haken and Arch Echo. Life is good. Cheers. Now, post some stuff bro! Help me out here. 😉

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #40 of 108

Thank you and cheers
Edited

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #41 of 108
Well damn. My favorite headphone is the EMP. I've been struggling in my mind selling basically all my HP (15) to pick up a pair, but I love each one for whatever mood I'm in. But the Emp is GREAT for this type of music. I run with a schiit set-up with 2 amps, Lyr/MJ2 sitting on top of my Gumby gen 5 with ZMF Aeolus. If you can read up on or get your hands on a set, try them. They are so much cheaper than the Emp. You can get a MINT pair for under a grand. ZMF are ridiculously priced new for what you get and are steals of the hobby IMO. Retirement is GREAT. Everyone I know wonders what is up with me. 63 years old, like a kid in mind and soul because I listen to prog metal and this type of music. Schiit, I'll be listening to this stuff literally to the day I die. Literally! In May I'm seeing Plini, Haken and Arch Echo. Life is good. Cheers. Now, post some stuff bro! Help me out here. 😉
So it seems I'm on the right track with the Empyrean. Nice! I will check the ZMF Aeolus. I don't know much about ZMF but I was under the impression than maybe the Atrium was more aligned with this genre of music.

Nice! It is what goes on your mind that count, I'm 47 but for this stuff, as other hobbies, I'm still, and will always be, a kid. My wife sometimes has to give me an earth call! Sometimes I feel I'm worst than my kids! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I´m not much into his later stuff but this Friday I'm gonna see Steve Vai, here in Lisbon, mostly for old times sake.

Life is good especially when you have time, and a little money, to enjoy these simple pleasures in life. Especially nowadays when the world seems so crazy in so many different ways.

Anyway, yes I will participate but not a great source of information. Nothing like yourself from what I have been seeing in these threads!:L3000::thumbsup:

Cheers.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #42 of 108
Here's all of my playlists. LOL. A LOT of music. Spotify lets you post it but only gives you a preview of about 20 seconds of each track. Just search me on spotify (if you or anyone is a member and even interested) and check me out. If you like what I post here, you'll like every playlist. Bet me? LOL

Amazing. I will look you for sure! I usually use Apple Music but have used Spotify many times in the past.:pray::thumbsup::beerchug:

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #44 of 108
The Atrium are amazing with Prog-Metal.

My top 3 :

ZMF Atrium
ZMF Aeolus
Grado Hemp
Have you listened to the empyrean? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back