Introducing HIFIMAN EF600--Desktop DAC/AMP Featuring HYMALAYA Pro Modules
Aug 7, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #211 of 264
Joshua Valour has now posted this full review on his YouTube channel. A lot is covered in what I feel is too short a time. My feeling is that this reflects how he feels about the product. I‘m getting a bit of a ‘HiFiMan, you can do better than this, NEXT!’ vibe here.

He gave a way better review on the ef400 which I bought. Was deciding on either but I have a lot of iems aswell as headphones.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #212 of 264
I also have the EF600.
The sound in NOS mode is awesome.

But a question for other EF600 owners.
When I turn up the volume knob and release it, it comes back one or two millimeters. Like on a rubber band.
Is that right? Do you guys have this as well?

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #213 of 264
I also have the EF600.
The sound in NOS mode is awesome.

But a question for other EF600 owners.
When I turn up the volume knob and release it, it comes back one or two millimeters. Like on a rubber band.
Is that right? Do you guys have this as well?
Mine doesn’t come back. It just has this mildly annoying 5 degree wiggle room.

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #214 of 264
I’m afraid this cable is not valid for digital audio output. I would try the adapter and a stock USB-A to USB-C cable. In my case and with an USB-A to USB-B cable, I’m able to send HIRES audio from an iPhone 11 to a Topping D30 Pro DAC up to 24/96
Can anyone confirm that this device is only working up to 24/96 out of IOS devices?
I mean I have read that maximum Sample rate is 24/128 and as far as I remember my EF400 demo unit that sample rate could be reached only using Windows drivers?

Not sure if people would hear a difference in blind tests but actually I wouldn't buy a device with such ancient sample rate constraints nowadays 🙄

@TeamHiFiMAN
Can you please comment on the supported platforms like IOS, Android, MacOS and Windows and the supported sample rates using the most common usb input?
I am getting different information in the internet varying between 24/96 up to 768khz for PCM format.
Thx!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #215 of 264

And here’s another full, and this time gushing (except for the wiggly volume knob), review of the EF600. Occasional F-bomb warning for those who are sensitive to it. 😉

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #216 of 264

And here’s another full, and this time gushing (except for the wiggly volume knob), review of the EF600. Occasional F-bomb warning for those who are sensitive to it. 😉

You warned about language, but not that the content was created by the buffoon Z?

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #217 of 264
That review by Z was concluded while the ef600 was plugged into other audio gear i would rather his review be just the ef600 only that way his opinion would be more accurate.
He showed how versatile the ef600 was & how good the dac was when pairing to other amps but not how it sounded as a single unit.
Am I missing something. 🤔

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #218 of 264
That review by Z was concluded while the ef600 was plugged into other audio gear i would rather his review be just the ef600 only that way his opinion would be more accurate.
He showed how versatile the ef600 was & how good the dac was when pairing to other amps but not how it sounded as a single unit.
Am I missing something. 🤔
As I remember he reviewed the dac, amp and combination separately and used his reference gear to be able to do so.
I think this was one of his better reviews, given his (for me) too unfocused and improvisational style.

Aug 17, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #219 of 264
As I remember he reviewed the dac, amp and combination separately and used his reference gear to be able to do so.
I think this was one of his better reviews, given his (for me) too unfocused and improvisational style.
Yes, he did address it, but as usual with him, things tend to get lost in the overly abundant sauce. 😝

What he ignored in his review is that there are quite obvious differences between the four settings high/low gain, and NOS/OS. I commented on his review that high gain NOS has the same sound signature as the well-known Chord Mojo 2 (so people know what to expect in thar regard), but obviously with a lot more power and therefore better control in busy, ’thumpy’ passages.

Aug 17, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #221 of 264
Sep 2, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #222 of 264
Hi, I just received my Hifiman Ef600 which I'm enjoying very much. For now I've paired the Ef600 and my Samsung Android tablet using bluetototh, listening to music through Qobuz while I wait for the streamer to arrive. I have a question that I hope make sense.

Is there a way to disable the tablet's volume control and just control the volume through the Ef600. I can increase/decrease volume using the Ef600 and the tablet, but I would like to bypass the tablet's volume control altogether (so i can mute the tablet) if there is a way to do that. If I try to mute the tablet then i don’t get any volume through the Ef600 or headphones. Thanks! 😀

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #223 of 264
Hi, I just received my Hifiman Ef600 which I'm enjoying very much. For now I've paired the Ef600 and my Samsung Android tablet using bluetototh, listening to music through Qobuz while I wait for the streamer to arrive. I have a question that I hope make sense.

Is there a way to disable the tablet's volume control and just control the volume through the Ef600. I can increase/decrease volume using the Ef600 and the tablet, but I would like to bypass the tablet's volume control altogether (so i can mute the tablet) if there is a way to do that. If I try to mute the tablet then i don’t get any volume through the Ef600 or headphones. Thanks! 😀
Have you tried turning the tablets volume to maximum & then turning the ef600s volume down to suit. I always have my source at max while using bluetooth devices & control the sound at the bluetooth receiver device (ef600)

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #224 of 264
Hi Lightspeed, I just tried that and it's a lot better. Thanks very much!

I set the Ef600 at NOS/High Gain with ZMF CAldera and it sounds really, really good. Very musical and laid back, but still detailed with good separation and soundstage. Listening to Azam Ali, Portals of Grace. What settings do you set on the Ef600?

Thanks again!

Sep 2, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #225 of 264
Hi Lightspeed, I just tried that and it's a lot better. Thanks very much!

I set the Ef600 at NOS/High Gain with ZMF CAldera and it sounds really, really good. Very musical and laid back, but still detailed with good separation and soundstage. Listening to Azam Ali, Portals of Grace. What settings do you set on the Ef600?

Thanks again!
I don't have the Ef600 yet its on my next to get list lol but I do have the ef400 which doesn't have bluetooth. I use low gain on my hifiman arya & ananda stealths & focal clear, focal radiance & high gain on my he1000v2,& sennheiser hd600. But you won't do any damage to your gear using either. I go by the volume setting as harder to drive headphones often need more on the volume knob thus using hi gain. The bluetooth devices I have are ananda headphones & focal bathys in the post along with the Qudelix 5k & fiio Utws5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back