Introducing Shanling M3 Ultra - New Generation of Compact Android Portable Player
Oct 26, 2022 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 222
M3U英文版(1).jpg

Same compact-sized portable player, now with an upgraded Android platform and a new audio circuit.

On the outside, M3 Ultra follows closely its predecessor. Staying at 4.2-inch screen, for the ideal balance between system usability and device portability. Aluminium frame keeps the same overall design, just with a few small adjustments, including a new solution for the MicroSD card door. And offering a standard combination of 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced outputs.

On the inside, that’s where all the important things changed. Android platform was upgraded to the octa-core Snapdragon 665 and Android 10, refreshing M3 for swift system response and app compatibility going forward. Of course, still combined with our Android Global Lossless Output (AGLO) system for an ideal Android sound performance. We even adjusted Bluetooth, switching to a newer 5.0 version.

Audio section is still based around a pair of ESS ES9219C DACs, but M3 Ultra builds a more robust circuit around them. Two Ricore RT6863 were added to serve as dedicated headphone amplifiers, allowing the player to deal easier with the headphone load and resulting in reduced distortion, increased dynamic range and overall improved clarity. Lot of attention was also put on the used ELNA Silmic II capacitors, as they proved to be crucial in the sound tuning of the M3 Ultra, as we attempted to tune it more in the line with our house sound.

M3 Ultra overall sounds a bit warmer and more relaxed than the original M3X, while managing to improve on the technical aspects of the sound.

M3 Ultra will be available at our international sellers in early November.

MSRP 479 USD / Euro

M3U Photos (5).jpg

Dimensions:109 X 70.5 X 18 mm
Weight: 199 g
Screen:4.2-inch 768 x 1280 Touch Screen
Hi-Res Support:32 bit / 384 kHz, DSD 256
Gain Setting: Two Level Setting
Memory: 3 GB RAM & 32 GB ROM & MicroSD card slot
Battery: 3500 mAh, QC3.0 18W compatible
Battery Life: 20.5h Single DAC 3.5mm, 14.5h Balanced

Wi-Fi: 2.4G / 5G
Bluetooth:Version 5.0
As Transmitter:LDAC / aptX HD / aptX / SBC
As Receiver:LDAC / SBC

Single-Ended Output:

Output Power

Low Gain: 41mW @32 Ohm

High gain: 140mW @32 Ohm

Output Impedance:<1 Ohm

Balanced Output:

Output Power

Low Gain: 164mW @32 Ohm

High gain: 260mW @32 Ohm

M3U Photos (2).jpgM3U Photos (8).jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 222
Great, make my choice on what mid level DAP to get as a daily carry for work even harder. Had almost settled on the iBasso DX170 over the Hiby R5Gen2 and M3X but this changes things up.

That said, the M3 Ultra looks good, basically a smaller M6 Ultra. Of which I like the design and subtle details it has along with that green color.
I guess it will also get color matched cases like the M6 Ultra?

Was already looking at the M6 Ultra to replace my X7 Mk.II as my high end DAP as the volume wheel has become barely functional, but that is planned for next year. Using two different Shanling DAPs to cover two use cases could be interesting. Now I'll have to wait for my local Shanling dealer to get it in stock so I can try it out.

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 222
Lot of attention was also put on the used ELNA Silmic II capacitors, as they proved to be crucial in the sound tuning of the M3 Ultra, as we attempted to tune it more in the line with our house sound.

Curious, what was it about the old M3X that made it different than Shanling's house sound?

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 222
A
M3U英文版(1).jpg

Same compact-sized portable player, now with an upgraded Android platform and a new audio circuit.

On the outside, M3 Ultra follows closely its predecessor. Staying at 4.2-inch screen, for the ideal balance between system usability and device portability. Aluminium frame keeps the same overall design, just with a few small adjustments, including a new solution for the MicroSD card door. And offering a standard combination of 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced outputs.

On the inside, that’s where all the important things changed. Android platform was upgraded to the octa-core Snapdragon 665 and Android 10, refreshing M3 for swift system response and app compatibility going forward. Of course, still combined with our Android Global Lossless Output (AGLO) system for an ideal Android sound performance. We even adjusted Bluetooth, switching to a newer 5.0 version.

Audio section is still based around a pair of ESS ES9219C DACs, but M3 Ultra builds a more robust circuit around them. Two Ricore RT6863 were added to serve as dedicated headphone amplifiers, allowing the player to deal easier with the headphone load and resulting in reduced distortion, increased dynamic range and overall improved clarity. Lot of attention was also put on the used ELNA Silmic II capacitors, as they proved to be crucial in the sound tuning of the M3 Ultra, as we attempted to tune it more in the line with our house sound.

M3 Ultra overall sounds a bit warmer and more relaxed than the original M3X, while managing to improve on the technical aspects of the sound.

M3 Ultra will be available at our international sellers in early November.

MSRP 479 USD / Euro

M3U Photos (5).jpg

Dimensions:109 X 70.5 X 18 mm
Weight: 199 g
Screen:4.2-inch 768 x 1280 Touch Screen
Hi-Res Support:32 bit / 384 kHz, DSD 256
Gain Setting: Two Level Setting
Memory: 3 GB RAM & 32 GB ROM & MicroSD card slot
Battery: 3500 mAh, QC3.0 18W compatible
Battery Life: 20.5h Single DAC 3.5mm, 14.5h Balanced

Wi-Fi: 2.4G / 5G
Bluetooth:Version 5.0
As Transmitter:LDAC / aptX HD / aptX / SBC
As Receiver:LDAC / SBC

Single-Ended Output:

Output Power

Low Gain: 41mW @32 Ohm

High gain: 140mW @32 Ohm

Balanced Output:

Output Power

Low Gain: 164mW @32 Ohm

High gain: 260mW @32 Ohm

M3U Photos (2).jpgM3U Photos (8).jpg
As a fan of Shanling M3X, I find this new M3 Ultra takes on every single problem I had with the 3X. Be it the older android version, or the older-gen SoC, Super happy that the battery life is still pretty decent.

My M7 feels happy for his new cousin :)

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 222
This made me rethink the whole entry DAP purchase, looks like a good one. Should easy be enough power for my IEM's.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 222
Does that mean it will sound similar to m3x limited edition?
D79F1A46-B911-44E4-8FC9-FA7898E3F043.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 222
Curious, what was it about the old M3X that made it different than Shanling's house sound?
M3X tended more neutral, certainly less warmth, than Shanling's house sound. I often compared it to the $1200 Lotoo PAW 6000 and preferred the M3X to it. By bringing the M3 Ultra more inline with the Shanling's typical sound signature, I would expect it to have a touch more emphasis in the lower end, giving it a touch of warmth & musicality.
as we attempted to tune it more in the line with our house sound.
I note that Shanling says they "attempted" to tune it which says to me that they moved it closer in that direction but aren't fully there. I loved the M3X - but sold it to upgrade to the M6 21 Pro, which has considerably more note weight. If this M3 Ultra sits between the two, which I suspect it will, this will be a very fine portable DAP!

Oct 26, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 222
Did the Waifu limited edition sound different? I had no idea.
It uses different capacitors for a warmer sound. I've never tried the normal m3x though

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 222
M3X tended more neutral, certainly less warmth, than Shanling's house sound. I often compared it to the $1200 Lotoo PAW 6000 and preferred the M3X to it. By bringing the M3 Ultra more inline with the Shanling's typical sound signature, I would expect it to have a touch more emphasis in the lower end, giving it a touch of warmth & musicality.

I note that Shanling says they "attempted" to tune it which says to me that they moved it closer in that direction but aren't fully there. I loved the M3X - but sold it to upgrade to the M6 21 Pro, which has considerably more note weight. If this M3 Ultra sits between the two, which I suspect it will, this will be a very fine portable DAP!
Oooooh. This little thing is getting interesting - thank you!

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 222

Let's say it was more in the traditional ESS way than what's our preference.

Was thrilled until I saw the output power.

M3X/M3 Ultra were always about balance. In this case it's about battery life.

Does that mean it will sound similar to m3x limited edition?

Bit different and overall higher sound quality.

I would say we did as well as we can with ESS in M3 Ultra. For us, AKM was always the preferred way.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back