Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #706 of 777
I’ll tell you something quietly (some might take me for crazy)... I prefer (by a good margin) the EF400 connected to the HE6 that connected to the HEK Stealth (superior in all to the Arya)

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #707 of 777
Again, some interesting ideas, thanks. There are certainly some good deals for the HE6seV2 at the moment (is the Stealth version just around the corner?) so I'll look into them but I confess, I have my heart set on the ADI-2. :)

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #708 of 777
Again, some interesting ideas, thanks. There are certainly some good deals for the HE6seV2 at the moment (is the Stealth version just around the corner?) so I'll look into them but I confess, I have my heart set on the ADI-2. :)
In the end this hobby lives of satisfactions, if the heart commands you the RME follow it and you will not be disappointed. :wink:

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #709 of 777
As much as I love my EF400, I am being seriously tempted by the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Have any of you heard it and can give me an idea of how it compares? I tried asking in the ADI-2 area to see if anyone had upgraded from an EF400 but no replies so far. It would seem to be a logical upgrade but there's enough price difference for it to be hard to find comparisons. There is also the EF600 to consider but the response to it online has been rather underwhelming. I'm interested in your thoughts.
I don't know if RME ADI-2 DAC would be consider as an "upgrade" even though it cost more.

I haven't heard the EF400 actually LOL but I've heard the RME ADI-2 DAC, it's a rather neutral device with weaker amp. But because of the weaker amp portion I think many people prefer it for iem use or sensitive headphone. In which case it might work out better in your case.

But you're also comparing R2R dac to Delta Sigma dac so it's kind of apples to oranges. To me the RME ADI-2 DAC sounded a bit lean/linear but I guess some people like that? Really depending on your preference. I prefer something thicker/richer in tone.

Again....... you might like it or you might not like it, since you're basically driving a muscle car and "upgrading" to luxury 4 door sedan LOL.

But this is what this hobby is all about, it's about discovering what we like or don't like! So I would say give it a go! :smiley:
I also have an EditionX but it is too sensitive to use with the EF400...
Ah so the too loud too fast is still an issue on the EF400? I've been reading conflicting results, some say it's fine some say it's not????? Kind of confusing.....

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #710 of 777
Ah so the too loud too fast is still an issue on the EF400? I've been reading conflicting results, some say it's fine some say it's not????? Kind of confusing.....
Nothing wrong with the EF400 is just that it was built to move mountains (HE6seV2 - 83db 64ohm) and not to fly feathers (EditionX V2 - 103db - 25ohm). Already with the HEK Stealth (93db - 32ohm) you have to use very gently with the volume knob. If I’m not mistaken every 3db more volume doubles and thinks that between the HE6 and the X there are 20db of difference... then doubles almost 7 times consecutive. The EF400 has nothing wrong with it’s just the icredibile Hulk of amplifiers compared to its price. :wink:

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #711 of 777
Nothing wrong with the EF400 is just that it was built to move mountains (HE6seV2 - 83db 64ohm) and not to fly feathers (EditionX V2 - 103db - 25ohm). Already with the HEK Stealth (93db - 32ohm) you have to use very gently with the volume knob. If I’m not mistaken every 3db more volume doubles and thinks that between the HE6 and the X there are 20db of difference... then doubles almost 7 times consecutive. The EF400 has nothing wrong with it’s just the icredibile Hulk of amplifiers compared to its price. :wink:
lol gotcha, I wonder if I should keep waiting for a dac only unit then. I have sensitive headphone lol.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #712 of 777
Now I’m listening to the HE6 with Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits, with the volume at 10 o'clock... any other amplifier would have the knob almost at the end of the race to listen like me now. The Cayin Iha-6 which is a 7 watt monster per channel when I use it to drive the HE6 uses more volume. It’s simply amazing what the EF400 is capable of... beyond that the internal DAC is pure silk.

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #713 of 777
lol gotcha, I wonder if I should keep waiting for a dac only unit then. I have sensitive headphone lol.
There are many ways to use a wonderful machine like the EF400... some use it as a pure DAC by connecting it through the two rear xlrs and connecting it to another amplifier, also because the DAC inside goes far beyond the cost of the whole unit. Others use it to simultaneously power two headphones through two front outputs (4.4mm + XLR) so as to use its terrifying power to listen in the company of another person to its beautiful voice. You can first use it as a DAC and then as soon as you have hard-to-drive headphones ask for its help, which will not be missed. When something is well done there are endless possibilities... the problem is when it is done wrong. :wink:

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #714 of 777
Photo of family EF400 in the company of sisters RE800S and RE2000S

famiglia.jpg

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #715 of 777
If you really want to try an iem with the EF400 better known as King Kong I recommend you try the legendary Tin Hifi P1 OG

p1ef400.jpg

The P1 is a planar IEM that needs a lot of current to play... and the EF400 has no problem providing it. Despite what it might seem like "Beauty and the Beast" the synergy between these two is simply spectacular!!! Seeing is believing. :wink:

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #716 of 777
Yeah my issue is that I'm currently using Lawton TH900 (sensitive headphone), and I already have a Lyr 3.

So I'm really only interested in the dac portion lol. But as you said even as a dac it's worth its price, then maybe I could still give it a try..... lol.

Was hoping I can use the EF400 amp portion when I'm too lazy to turn on my tube amp....... but might be too loud.....

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #717 of 777
Yeah my issue is that I'm currently using Lawton TH900 (sensitive headphone), and I already have a Lyr 3.

So I'm really only interested in the dac portion lol. But as you said even as a dac it's worth its price, then maybe I could still give it a try..... lol.

Was hoping I can use the EF400 amp portion when I'm too lazy to turn on my tube amp....... but might be too loud.....
As they say... hunger comes with eating... you will surely want to listen to it with something different and at that point you will be spoiled for choice... from a P1 like the one I posted above up to a Susvara . With the EF400 you have the foundations... you decide the building you build on top of it. :wink:

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #718 of 777

I am using EF400 as DAC going to A70 Pro, combo is good, showing R2R can scale more than integrated amp can provide. Power on EF400 is good, but with Topping I am getting instant boost in stage, clarity, layering, impact a little. And yes, 17W on A70 Pro is great when you need but adjustment of volume is another level as it doesn't have regular potentiometer, that job is on R2R volume control.

Attachments

• 20231013_203219.jpg
    20231013_203219.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #719 of 777
If you really want to try an iem with the EF400 better known as King Kong I recommend you try the legendary Tin Hifi P1 OG

p1ef400.jpg

The P1 is a planar IEM that needs a lot of current to play... and the EF400 has no problem providing it. Despite what it might seem like "Beauty and the Beast" the synergy between these two is simply spectacular!!! Seeing is believing. :wink:
great to hear the same experience from someone else as well. After amping with desktop gear, p1 sounds as good as >1k$ IEM that I have. It is not just a matter of volume, I can get the same loud volume from my portable dac but the true potential was revealed when amped. It is a weird set in that sense as the product should have been made to be portable setup friendly, but anyhow I am enjoying it a lot with desktop setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back