Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Oct 13, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #721 of 776
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #722 of 776
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #723 of 776
lol yeah I saw it but now I'm debating which is cheaper, buy from Hifiman + shipping cost + import fee (Canada) OR find someone locally buy second hand? :thinking:

Oh the dilemma..
In the description it says Canada so they have a warehouse in Canada (no import tax) but to be safe you can send them an email like I did before buying it. Buying something checked and serviced by Hifiman is one thing, buying it used is another. In fact I'll give you some advice, when it arrives check the quality control plate it must be number 2 and not 4. If you've read this discussion you know that there have been problems with some batches, by taking it directly from Hifiman you overcome all these problems. The one they sent to me was number 2 and produced in 2023, new, tested and guaranteed. :wink:

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #724 of 776
Heard somewhere that the new model EF500 is improved version of EF400. Worth wait for a month or two

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #725 of 776
In the description it says Canada so they have a warehouse in Canada (no import tax) but to be safe you can send them an email like I did before buying it.
I was always under impression that it's shipped from China or US, but this is worth investigating....... will shoot them an e-mail......
If you've read this discussion you know that there have been problems with some batches, by taking it directly from Hifiman you overcome all these problems.
lol I think it's just Hifiman being Hifiman in general........ :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

But hopefully they ironed out the kinks........
In fact I'll give you some advice, when it arrives check the quality control plate it must be number 2 and not 4.
The one they sent to me was number 2 and produced in 2023, new, tested and guaranteed. :wink:
What happens if I get 4? :scream:
Heard somewhere that the new model EF500 is improved version of EF400. Worth wait for a month or two
Ah crap that changes the plan a little bit, though I guess EF400 would be heavily discounted now, but I think from the China pricing EF500 is still in the $300 something range???

EDIT: Ah yes I found the post, it's 2400 Chinese Yuan so about $330 USD. Assuming if they keep the US pricing same as Chinese pricing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #726 of 776
In the description it says Canada so they have a warehouse in Canada (no import tax) but to be safe you can send them an email like I did before buying it. Buying something checked and serviced by Hifiman is one thing, buying it used is another. In fact I'll give you some advice, when it arrives check the quality control plate it must be number 2 and not 4. If you've read this discussion you know that there have been problems with some batches, by taking it directly from Hifiman you overcome all these problems. The one they sent to me was number 2 and produced in 2023, new, tested and guaranteed. :wink:
My brother lives in Canada, he has purchased EF400 directly from Hifiman for his son and all together was ~500 CAD.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #728 of 776
@Hyde00 Let's start from an assumption, paying 320 euros for an EF400 is not normal at all. With that amount you normally get a dongle that is miles behind the single DAC contained in the EF400. Getting it without taxes and customs duties (in my case) makes all the difference in the world, before the EF400 I bought a Cayin iHA-6 for 600 euros on which I then had to pay 220 euros in taxes and duties (Italy), while the 'EF400 was shipped to me from Poland (Europe) and therefore no additional costs. The first EF400 batches (especially those with the 4 rating) had various problems: channel imbalance (which many reviewers reported as phase shift), jitter, noisy toroid and volume knob not up to the standard of the product. Label 2 (stringent controls on the EF400) is reserved by Hifiman for its official distributors, while 4 is sent to various mass retailers (Amazon, Adorama, etc.). My copy purchased directly from them has the tag 2, it is simply perfect, and even if declared open-box it was practically new with a sealed box. Saving 50 dollars to get just any one (in this case) is not worth it, it's better to rely on them directly. As for the EF500, I would never buy it, I always prefer to buy Hifiman products after some time both for a question of price and because I hope that in the meantime they have resolved the critical issues that can occur in the first batches. However, it is always possible to use the guarantee that it works well. The person who explained these things to me had it changed twice, the third time it was perfect. If you get the perfect EF400 you will never part with it again, if its price had been 1000 euros they wouldn't have stolen anything from you anyway. :wink:

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #729 of 776
Does your brother need another son? :stuck_out_tongue:

But $500 CAD is not too bad, there is a Toronto Audio Fest coming up next week.

I'm hoping to try it at the Audio Fest then if I like it then I can place the order. :relaxed:
I'll ask him and give you a shout😂
Yeah try kijiji, ebay etc just be careful. With Hifimans page directly you have warranty and right to return. I have bough mine open box no issues whatsoever with piece of mind.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #730 of 776
I always prefer to buy Hifiman products after some time both for a question of price and because I hope that in the meantime they have resolved the critical issues that can occur in the first batches.
With Hifimans page directly you have warranty and right to return.
Yeah sounds like safer to go directly from Hifiman, will let you guys know if I end up ordering it! Thanks! :relaxed::thumbsup:

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #731 of 776
@Hyde00 Let's start from an assumption, paying 320 euros for an EF400 is not normal at all. With that amount you normally get a dongle that is miles behind the single DAC contained in the EF400. Getting it without taxes and customs duties (in my case) makes all the difference in the world, before the EF400 I bought a Cayin iHA-6 for 600 euros on which I then had to pay 220 euros in taxes and duties (Italy), while the 'EF400 was shipped to me from Poland (Europe) and therefore no additional costs. The first EF400 batches (especially those with the 4 rating) had various problems: channel imbalance (which many reviewers reported as phase shift), jitter, noisy toroid and volume knob not up to the standard of the product. Label 2 (stringent controls on the EF400) is reserved by Hifiman for its official distributors, while 4 is sent to various mass retailers (Amazon, Adorama, etc.). My copy purchased directly from them has the tag 2, it is simply perfect, and even if declared open-box it was practically new with a sealed box. Saving 50 dollars to get just any one (in this case) is not worth it, it's better to rely on them directly. As for the EF500, I would never buy it, I always prefer to buy Hifiman products after some time both for a question of price and because I hope that in the meantime they have resolved the critical issues that can occur in the first batches. However, it is always possible to use the guarantee that it works well. The person who explained these things to me had it changed twice, the third time it was perfect. If you get the perfect EF400 you will never part with it again, if its price had been 1000 euros they wouldn't have stolen anything from you anyway. :wink:
Where can I check on my unit is it ver.2 or 4?

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #732 of 776
Where can I check on my unit is it ver.2 or 4?
In the amplifier box you will find a card like this:

card.jpg

Under the QC passed stamp there is a number... what number is it?

Oct 15, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #735 of 776
I have just purchased the Monolith M1060s and so far (in accordance with other people's planar cans) this synergy is stunning. My end game for sure. Just love the EF400 - amazing for the price point, as are the M1060s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back