Introducing the xDuoo TA-66 OTL Tube Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 92
I ordered mine already, seems like a good buy. At first I thought it might be a baby ta 26s, but it's actually bigger and heavier, while it seems so be less powerful I think it's more reasonably scaled back since the ta 26s was basically useless past noon. Also the improvements in the potentiometer, point to point build make me think it's quite the opposite even if it's cheaper than ta 26s at the moment (or maybe it will come to replace it).

Either way I'm excited for its arrival which will be in about a week, won't be able to compare to 26s since this is my first tube amp (for music playback), I even bought a used pair of hd 600 to go with it

Also there's a zeos video wich compares it favorably to the dark voice ta 26s and drop

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 92
I ordered mine already, seems like a good buy. At first I thought it might be a baby ta 26s, but it's actually bigger and heavier, while it seems so be less powerful I think it's more reasonably scaled back since the ta 26s was basically useless past noon. Also the improvements in the potentiometer, point to point build make me think it's quite the opposite even if it's cheaper than ta 26s at the moment (or maybe it will come to replace it).

Either way I'm excited for its arrival which will be in about a week, won't be able to compare to 26s since this is my first tube amp (for music playback), I even bought a used pair of hd 600 to go with it

Also there's a zeos video wich compares it favorably to the dark voice ta 26s and drop
Do you have any noise floor on TA-66?

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #19 of 92
Anybody tried this yet for synergy with the Beyerdynamic DT-880 600ohm?

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 92
Interesting is it powerful enough to drive Sennheiser HD650 or Focal Clear? Very interested if these headphones will make a good pairing with TA-66? 🙄🤔

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 92
My ta 66 just arrived today, so far so good. Noise floor is really low (but I'm using an after market ac cable I had and not the one that came with it). Sound is deliciously warm and detailed definitely brought new life to my hd600 (which are the one HPs I've tried it with thus far) better soundstage bass and separation than with my l50., might loose a bit of high end detail but I would need more listening time (a/b testing) to say for sure, either way I don't mind since it's on par with the tube sound you buy into when you get one of these. Also you get this "glazed" tube ooey gooey effortless sound out of them that just invites you to listen and relax. Pretty much all the detail is there but it's more of a laid back presentation that I've loving thus far

Tomorrow I'll be testing 1990 pros and other headphones I own after that

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_191823.jpg
    IMG_20240403_191823.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 92
My ta 66 just arrived today, so far so good. Noise floor is really low (but I'm using an after market ac cable I had and not the one that came with it). Sound is deliciously warm and detailed definitely brought new life to my hd600 (which are the one HPs I've tried it with thus far) better soundstage bass and separation than with my l50., might loose a bit of high end detail but I would need more listening time (a/b testing) to say for sure, either way I don't mind since it's on par with the tube sound you buy into when you get one of these. Also you get this "glazed" tube ooey gooey effortless sound out of them that just invites you to listen and relax. Pretty much all the detail is there but it's more of a laid back presentation that I've loving thus far

Congrats!
You said the noise floor is low, but can you still hear it with HD600?

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 92
Congrats!
You said the noise floor is low, but can you still hear it with HD600?
Thanks!
I've only gone 3 o clock max on the knob and no noise can be heard when not playing music, dead silent. YMMV, since the cable I plugged with is thick and over engineered and i had previously noticed reduced noise using single coils on a guitar tube amp (which is that I used it for

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 92

Does it have enough power and authority to drive HD600? What dac/dap you use in connection with ta-66? Thanks

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #27 of 92
I’ve ordered a TA-66 today, as well as a couple of tubes to roll. Voskhod 6N2P-EB for the pre stage and winged C 6H13C Sovtek by SED for the buffer/power stage, both from The Tube Store.

-Ed

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 92
I'm guessing that this amp wouldn't be the best choice to pair with my Fostex Th-610 (25 Ohm- 93db sensitivity)?
Does the 'eight times rule' mean that I should be looking for an amp of 3.125 Ohms output impedance or LESS?
Have I interpreted that right?

Since the TA 66 has an output impedance of 5.3 Ohms I think that's too high for my 610's but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #29 of 92
I'm guessing that this amp wouldn't be the best choice to pair with my Fostex Th-610 (25 Ohm- 93db sensitivity)?
Does the 'eight times rule' mean that I should be looking for an amp of 3.125 Ohms output impedance or LESS?
Have I interpreted that right?

Since the TA 66 has an output impedance of 5.3 Ohms I think that's too high for my 610's but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Hmm, I have TH900mk2...and in about three weeks, I am planning to get TA-66.

Th900mk2 is also 25ohm with 100db sensitivity.
I don't know how much of a difference that is exactly, but if you do, I could give you an answer when I get TA-66.

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #30 of 92
Does anyone know what the input sensitivity is on this, or what is max input voltage before clipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back