Is your headphone environment-friendly?
Apr 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

VALIENTE

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys again! I encountered a while ago a headfier who like wood cups for his headphones. I'm happy to know if a headfier is earth friendly. I'm also an environment friendly person. I rarely use plastic. I'm more into paper and recycling most of the times. I wish my Grado SR60 and AKG K701 are made also of wood.

How about you guys, are your headphones, environment-friendly?

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 59
nope.
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rarely use plastic. I'm more into paper and recycling most of the times. I wish my Grado SR60 and AKG K701 are made also of wood.

Does it take more effort to form thermoplastic or wood from a raw block to a finished product?

Which is easier to recycle into a different product? Please consider the bleaching processes done to paper...

The best way to recycle is of course to reuse at the consumer level. Use a cloth shopping bag for several years rather than how many disposable ones.

When you look at the headphones from the perspective that they are not a throw-away item like a shopping bag or disposable tableware the materials used are far less significant from a treehuggers perspective. Anything of reasonable quality should last for ages. Perhaps 20 years or more. Indeed, It could be argued that the wood to make the headphones would make a better tree than a headphone!

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 59
I don't see what's so good about wood. Especially since it's a very small part of the headphone.

the best way to be environmentally friendly is to use the FS forum. Buying anything used is much better for the environment than any choice of materials could ever be. Because the most environmentally sound product is no product at all.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 59
nope
and I DON'T CARE

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 59
While my gadgets aren't built with sustainability in mind, I help by not throwing anything out. All of my old gear finds new owners when I no longer need it.

My old Sennheiser HD 202 is going to my brother. : D

Although, I must say, it would be interesting to have headphones built without depending on oil. Bioplastics and aluminum, anyone? Still, it's hard to be entirely sustainable while thinking of the entire supply chain. There are so many points at which the headphones or its parts are transported -- using oil.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 59
Lol yet another silly thread from the infamous VALIENTE. Cutting down trees is not environmentally friendly. Also, using paper isn't really either, as it is obviously made from trees.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 59
Mahogany is actually a horrible wood, as far as environmental impact is concerned. A secondary species of wood, like sweetgum, would be much better.

I can't say for certain, but I would think that plastic enclosures would have less environmental impact, overall, than mahogany enclosures.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 59
Just to get it out there:

"Let's be simple in Headfi. Let's become a One-Headphone Guy!(OHG)" Why would we want one headphone? We all know that one headphone can't do every genre perfectly.
Do you know which headphone do you need? This would be "Do you know which headphone you need?"
Is your headphone environment-friendly? "I don't think many peoeple at all care lol. No headphone is environmentally friendly. Look at how they are manufactured and all the energy needed to do so.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 59
I wouldn't say that having wood cups is good for the environment, trees had to be cut down to make it. Most people wouldn't throw away expensive audio gear either, so I don't think that littering/pollution would be a problem. If you really want to be environmentally friendly, I suggest powering your gear with renewable energy sources. I wouldn't be surprised if your home was powered by a coal burning power station.

Seriously, Valiente, did you believe wood cups would save the environment? The process of woodifying headphones generally involves:

-Sourcing the wood to make the cups (cutting down trees)
-Using chemicals and products to finish the cups
-Using glues etc. to fix the cups to the headphones
-Often throwing away the old material, generally plastic

I wouldn't say that makes them particularly environment-friendly. It's for the aesthetics and sound quality of the headphone.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 59
Um, I built my own headphones, is that environment friendly?

Plastics, leather pads, gold plated TRS connector, copper wires?

Thing is, I don't see wood environment friendly either though, you have to kill a TREE to get it, so in the end it's moot.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 59
OMG LEATHER THAT POOR ANIMAL. Kidding, I couldn't really care less
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back