Is your headphone environment-friendly?
Apr 7, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hajimima****e watashi wa Ross desu.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta love that filter. Something so innocuous suddenly becomes so vile.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Hajimima****e watashi wa Ross desu.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hahahaha...all you'll ever need to know.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #48 of 59
I am very curious as to whether that statement is offensive or not. This is the main reason why English is supposed to be the only language used on Head-fi.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Nope. I have many friends from different cultures and that's not the issue. Of his many strange posts he has! The post he started about being One Headphone Guy really irritated me. And his comments after in other threads bringing it up. He clearly has two that he uses. Even to the point of using one or the other in different his posts.

x2. Language and cultural differences are real, but at the end of the day we're all human. You can usually tell if someone has basic critical thinking skills and social grace even if there are communication and cultural barriers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very curious as to whether that statement is offensive or not. This is the main reason why English is supposed to be the only language used on Head-fi.

I very much doubt the board would censor romanized Japanese. It was probably just that while putting some innocent Japanese word into English the word sounded like a certain 4 letter swear word, hence the censor. I could probably say the rudest things in Chinese (Chinese characters or pinyin) and the board won't censor it. I understand board policy, but I've been enough polygot situations I don't get suspicious is someone switches language. Usually it's just a certain phrase or idea that's easier to get across in that language.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Nothing offensive about it. He basically just said "Nice to meet you, I'm Ross."

The word that was filtered is hajimemash!te (はじめまして)- it doesn't have a direct translation in English, but it's a common greeting. Something like: "first time meet", when taken literally in English.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #51 of 59
Lol ok. Be aware you may get harsh comments on here if you don't use English
biggrin.gif
Wouldn't be surprised if someone got banned tbh.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

I thought English was the norm because it's the most universally used language on this forum? Kinda pointless to use bad language in other languages to other people when they don't understand, it would be meaningless.
But yeah our dialog between each other was not offensive at all. Just a common greeting. Actually my first post in Japanese's literal translation would be something like "nice" or "be kind to me".

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #53 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it take more effort to form thermoplastic or wood from a raw block to a finished product?

Which is easier to recycle into a different product? Please consider the bleaching processes done to paper...

The best way to recycle is of course to reuse at the consumer level. Use a cloth shopping bag for several years rather than how many disposable ones.

When you look at the headphones from the perspective that they are not a throw-away item like a shopping bag or disposable tableware the materials used are far less significant from a treehuggers perspective. Anything of reasonable quality should last for ages. Perhaps 20 years or more. Indeed, It could be argued that the wood to make the headphones would make a better tree than a headphone!

Very well put, Indeed I think heaphone setups are pretty effcient on energy consumtion (Not the 'stats though!), Espcially when compared to Speakers. I also prefer to buy used since it minimizes my carbon (& wallet
tongue.gif
) footprint, I bought only 2 headphones brand-new so far (MS2 and KSC75) out of more than a dozen.
As for woodys i think that as long as it's made with a sustainable sense in production then It's a sound option (certainly pun intended). I don't think it's the case with most companies though... Anyone know where AT are getting their wood from?

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

OMG LEATHER THAT POOR ANIMAL. Kidding, I couldn't really care less
biggrin.gif

Interesting how you have a pic of a cat as your avatar yet seem to be proud of the fact that you do not care about the welfare of animals.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #55 of 59
Haha. Kitties are different
tongue.gif
The reason why I don't care much for sheep, cattle etc is because they are bred to be killed for product. I know that sounds mean but it is a fact
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #57 of 59
Ugh, the darn filter. Yes, I was just using a common greeting generally used when you meet someone for the first time. If you see my Head-Fi name, it is also Japanese. It's a polite reminder of how I feel about my ex wife. Plus the year we were born. There were other names I could have used but didn't want to be offensive. So I used the rather tongue-in-cheek (inflection is everything) baka.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly certain that the leather in his headphones aren't made from cat hide.

Excellent deduction Holmes!

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Haha. Kitties are different
tongue.gif
The reason why I don't care much for sheep, cattle etc is because they are bred to be killed for product. I know that sounds mean but it is a fact
smile.gif

I was referring more to the duality of man but thanks for your views on animal rights
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back