KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #1,771 of 1,794
I moved from the CFA3 to the Mass Kobo 394 II. IMHO- to my tastes; a fuller bodied, more textured, ultra transparent sound which I prefer.- I am happy with the move. Amazing how 2.2 watts can control the drivers as well (or better) than 16 watts. I guess it is all in the design. I did enjoy my days with the CFA3, but the MK is both more musical to my ears and even more technical. The nice thing ablot the CFA3 is how uncolored it is and how well it takes to a preamp. Although the MK does as well.
I am skeptical that an opamp based amp (looks like one from the pictures) can beat CFA3. However, I am sure Kobo sounds better to you in your system with your preferred headphones (what's your chain and the cans you are trying to drive?)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #1,772 of 1,794
Audiophile switch powered by Teddy Pardo PS, Muon ethernet filter, Fanless PC with Teddy pardo PS, Audio-GD DI-20HE, Hibiki SDS dac, Audio-GD HE-1 MK3 preamp, MK 394 II.

Headphones-- 1266 TC, LCD-4Z, Caldera, Verite.

You are entitled to your skepticism. The MK is more pleasing to my ear with every headphone in every way; more transparent, fuller bodied, more detail, more speed, more control. Your ears may disagree. My opinion of the MK however is not a single outlier opinion. There is support for this in headfi.

I think- in many areas of life- including technology, there are often products which work on brute strength ,and those that work with finesse. I once had a superb food processor and attempted to replace it with one which was rated as substantially more powerful. Well, the first one which was a quarter the price chopped the food better and faster. Not everything is power.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #1,773 of 1,794
By the way, I have had several PM conversatiuons with those who compared the MK to the Bliss and Silver Fox as well and all reports were in agreement in favour of the MK. CFA3 with proper tube preamp is in similar league to MK. IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #1,774 of 1,794
Thanks! I will be sure to look out for MK at the next CanJam/Axpona.

In my system CFA3 is warm, full bodied, effortless and musical - system synergy and all.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #1,775 of 1,794
By the way- I'm just reporting my personal findings IMHO. I am not challenging the CFA3 in any way. It is wonderful. To my tastes as many on this forum agree, it needs a tube preamp behind it to really shine.- and when done- it is stunning. As you see- I have a SS preamp behind my MK as I found the tube preamp IMHO with the MK to be too colored. Both amplifiers can be made to actually sound relitively similar with proper tuning of other components. I like a very tonally saturated, physical sound- and I tuned both amps this way.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #1,776 of 1,794
By the way- I'm just reporting my personal findings IMHO. I am not challenging the CFA3 in any way. It is wonderful. To my tastes as many on this forum agree, it needs a tube preamp behind it to really shine.- and when done- it is stunning. As you see- I have a SS preamp behind my MK as I found the tube preamp IMHO with the MK to be too colored. Both amplifiers can be made to actually sound relitively similar with proper tuning of other components. I like a very tonally saturated, physical sound- and I tuned both amps this way.
Appreciate the feedback. I wish someone would put one of the MK amps under the bench.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #1,777 of 1,794
The Japanese- in audio- in general seemingly have a different approach to the Chinese and the Americans. They are into finess and musicality using unique methods. Look at Sony and how they are into DSD and tonal saturation on their DAPs and amps. I used to own a Remyo CDP years ago. Honestly- to this day IMHO no transport can compare. It was so "not there"- like nothing I ever "not heard". Cybershaft is one of the leaders of the OXCO world and I have heard from others that other clocks with similar phase noise dont sound as refined and musical. So the Japanese- well, they have their ways of doing things. Better or worse is personal.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #1,778 of 1,794
I moved from the CFA3 to the Mass Kobo 394 II. IMHO- to my tastes; a fuller bodied, more textured, ultra transparent sound which I prefer.- I am happy with the move. Amazing how 2.2 watts can control the drivers as well (or better) than 16 watts. I guess it is all in the design. I did enjoy my days with the CFA3, but the MK is both more musical to my ears and even more technical. The nice thing ablot the CFA3 is how uncolored it is and how well it takes to a preamp. Although the MK does as well.
What kind volume control is there?

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #1,780 of 1,794
interesting, for me just found out about CFA3 and also Dukei not making them any longer... what´s the next best option, right?
@rsbrsvp what´s your DAC?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,782 of 1,794
@vonBaron
Probably alps - seen it in one of their other amps. If not alps, then TKD - I am guessing TKD, because alps would be out of place in a $5k amp.

Edit: looks like TKD to me.

1704400654025.png

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #1,784 of 1,794
@vonBaron
Probably alps - seen it in one of their other amps. If not alps, then TKD - I am guessing TKD, because alps would be out of place in a $5k amp.

Edit: looks like TKD to me.

Actually- for the price, the build seems crazy cheap. It must be around 1/8th to 1/10th the size of my previous CFA-3. It weighs perhaps 1/8th of the CFA-3. It does not look like a $5300 amplifier. It looks like a toy. the enclosure is light and relitively thin. But it sounds better than anything I ever heard- and that is what we are purchasing. Audiophiles are not supposed to be looking to buy impressive equipment, but rather equipment that produces the most enjoyable sound. I have no idea how MK figured this out.....

For those looking for impressive build- this is not it.........

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #1,785 of 1,794
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back