Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #276 of 320
I recently picked up a THR-1 from a friend of mine to listen to for a bit. Initial impressions are very good. It is surprisingly musical, somehow finding a way to rearrange the 1's and 0's to present my music in ways new to my ears. Early standouts are stage, bass and mids. I can understand why some reviews suggest the stage sounds more tube-like than solid state. Bass is deep, rich and textured. Mids are layered and find a way to connect the music in beautiful ways. Treble sounds just right for the moment. It's quite addictive to listen to.

I'm listening with the Bartok on DAC duties and the Susvara. I have to bump the Bartok up to 6v with the Sus on the THR-1. I am surprised that the THR-1 drives the Susvara so seemingly well, at least at this early stage of my listening. Volume pot is sitting around 11 on the clock face at comfortable listening levels, pushing up to around 3 later into a listening session or with soft recordings. I expected dynamics to feel a bit stretched driving the Sus, but surprisingly this does not seem to be the case. I look forward to spending more time with it over the next week or two to form a more informed impression of the THR-1.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #277 of 320
I recently picked up a THR-1 from a friend of mine to listen to for a bit. Initial impressions are very good. It is surprisingly musical, somehow finding a way to rearrange the 1's and 0's to present my music in ways new to my ears. Early standouts are stage, bass and mids. I can understand why some reviews suggest the stage sounds more tube-like than solid state. Bass is deep, rich and textured. Mids are layered and find a way to connect the music in beautiful ways. Treble sounds just right for the moment. It's quite addictive to listen to.

I'm listening with the Bartok on DAC duties and the Susvara. I have to bump the Bartok up to 6v with the Sus on the THR-1. I am surprised that the THR-1 drives the Susvara so seemingly well, at least at this early stage of my listening. Volume pot is sitting around 11 on the clock face at comfortable listening levels, pushing up to around 3 later into a listening session or with soft recordings. I expected dynamics to feel a bit stretched driving the Sus, but surprisingly this does not seem to be the case. I look forward to spending more time with it over the next week or two to form a more informed impression of the THR-1.
Thanks for sharing and yes it is a real hidden gem of headphone amp striking excellent balance between tonality and power.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #278 of 320
Is there any information on the preamp section on the THR-1? I’m finding that it amps the Sus with more authority when using my Kinki EX-M1+ in preamp mode versus using the THR-1 as both power and pre.

Edit: Mmm it seems I need to spend more time with the THR-1. It is surprising me at every corner. It's sound is not quite like any of the amps I've owned or heard. And again, I am rather pleasantly surprised at just how well it drives the Susvara as an AIO. I am still interested to know if the THR-1 preamp section is truly passive with no active components in the signal path? Regardless, this is a sweet sounding amp that remains humble and unassuming throughout the listening experience, never throwing it's goodness around the room with wild abandon. It is tastefully tuned, enveloping the listener in its wonders.

I prefer musicality over detail, although both remain important. The THR-1 seems to focus on musicality, choosing to join the invisible strands of the sound spectrum in new and beautiful ways, as opposed to exposing every nook and cranny of a song. That said, it exposes just enough to not leave me yearning for more. It's goodness flows freely, filling every corner of the Sus, easily diverting my attention to a melody line that has never sounded so sweet or a bass line that did not seem to have such rich and layered textures the last time I listened to it. Honeymoon in this hobby can be a fun place. Let's see how it holds up after more time with it..

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #279 of 320
I found the magic with the THR-1. Using it as power and my Kinki EX-M1+ as pre. Amazing. I see now why so many here use the THR-1 as power pre'd with a tube amp or some other excellent pre. It has a fantastic synergy with the Susvara. I'll share more detailed thoughts soon, but I can already confirm this amp mates beautifully with the Sus.

Jan 28, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #281 of 320
To all the Kinki THR-1 owners, if you ever have scratchy/frying eggs like sound in any of the channels don't be alarmed

I was crazy about it for months and even sent to a few technicians to take a look and they couldn't figure it out.... But I did

If you ever have the problem I described or similar, it is probably the ALPS blue velvet potentiometer that got dust or something in it, just put bit of deoxid in the 2 little holes and turn left and right the pot for a min or so and let it dry. It will work like new and you won't have to send it back to China and wait long time....

1632659476513.png

I was about to give up but I'm happy to say the THR-1 is really amazing
Hello Jose, I have the same problem :) I found by cranking up the volume this disappears after 6-8 crankings ... anyway could you tell me how do you access the potentiometer to you have to unsolder it ? I would appreciate a procedure, howto guide ... :wink:

Thanks a lot if you can help me.

Yann

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #282 of 320
Hello Jose, I have the same problem :) I found by cranking up the volume this disappears after 6-8 crankings ... anyway could you tell me how do you access the potentiometer to you have to unsolder it ? I would appreciate a procedure, howto guide ... :wink:

Thanks a lot if you can help me.

Yann
Hi there mate!

Yeah of course I can help, unfortunately the problem wasn't the potentiometer but the relay haha, I was going crazy then realized it was relay all along

11738670.png

Relay has 2 metal parts for each channel that touch themselves and the left part on my unit wasn't fully touching so I was losing sound, scratching, noises etc...

1674906325964.png

So what I did was ordering the relay in Aliexpress which was very cheap and also a new potentiometer (very same one that came with the unit) because I destroyed it from cleaning and messing it up

1674906973373.png

Procedure is very simple, you just disassemble the THR-1, disconnect power supply and then you must only have the motherboard with the metal front panel.

Get yourself some cheap tin with some silver %, flux, solder and ready to go, there's 6 pins for potentiometer and 8 for relay, relay must be done carefully because pins come out from plastic

I recommend you clean the potentiometer first following my instructions by spraying inside the little hole of the plastic, rotate a hundred times the volume pot and try again, if you still have this problem left the volume higher than usual like at 1 PM and adjust volume from Windows to see if it happens when current being delivered is higher than usual (could make the relay not mess with sound). If you still have the problem and have knowledge on soldering or know someone who does I suggest you get new relay, new potentiometer and go for it

These are the pieces you'll need:
· ALPS RK27 10K ohms
· G2R-2 12VDC 5A

Any question or doubt you may have please send me PM

José

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #283 of 320
Hi there mate!

Yeah of course I can help, unfortunately the problem wasn't the potentiometer but the relay haha, I was going crazy then realized it was relay all along

11738670.png

Relay has 2 metal parts for each channel that touch themselves and the left part on my unit wasn't fully touching so I was losing sound, scratching, noises etc...

1674906325964.png

So what I did was ordering the relay in Aliexpress which was very cheap and also a new potentiometer (very same one that came with the unit) because I destroyed it from cleaning and messing it up

1674906973373.png

Procedure is very simple, you just disassemble the THR-1, disconnect power supply and then you must only have the motherboard with the metal front panel.

Get yourself some cheap tin with some silver %, flux, solder and ready to go, there's 6 pins for potentiometer and 8 for relay, relay must be done carefully because pins come out from plastic

I recommend you clean the potentiometer first following my instructions by spraying inside the little hole of the plastic, rotate a hundred times the volume pot and try again, if you still have this problem left the volume higher than usual like at 1 PM and adjust volume from Windows to see if it happens when current being delivered is higher than usual (could make the relay not mess with sound). If you still have the problem and have knowledge on soldering or know someone who does I suggest you get new relay, new potentiometer and go for it

· ALPS RK27 10K ohms
· G2R-2 12VDC 5A

José
Thank you so much José forte detailed procedure :) I will try it until the soldering phase if needed I will request a friend of mine.
Have a nice day !
Yann

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #284 of 320
Hi there mate!

11738670.png

1674906325964.png

1674906973373.png

· ALPS RK27 10K ohms
· G2R-2 12VDC 5A

José
In my case it should be the potentiometer because after moving fron 12 to 3 O'clock and back on the volume after like 8-10 times, the problem is solved and doesnt reappear until the next listening session.

Yann

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #285 of 320
In my case it should be the potentiometer because after moving fron 12 to 3 O'clock and back on the volume after like 8-10 times, the problem is solved and doesnt reappear until the next listening session.

Yann
That's great, I don't turn off my unit and never had a single problem since I replaced the 2 bad boys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back