Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #60,496 of 64,204
I think i'll try. My AST is temporarily shelved because the left cloth filter collapsed and lost shape last time I cleaned it. I was thinking of a low density non affecting tuning foam to substitute the terribly thin stock cloth
AST has a cloth filter? Are you talking about the mesh screen you see after you remove the eartip, or is there a cloth underneath that?

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #60,497 of 64,204
I think i'll try. My AST is temporarily shelved because the left cloth filter collapsed and lost shape last time I cleaned it. I was thinking of a low density non affecting tuning foam to substitute the terribly thin stock cloth
Leukopore tape works okay. I just use a sharp scalpel to cut one or two small V's around the edge to let it breath. I should probably buy some filters at some stage. First need some calipers to measure what size I need.

Nah, too hard...
I already have tape!:ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #60,499 of 64,204
Leukopore tape works okay. I just use a sharp scalpel to cut one or two small V's around the edge to let it breath. I should probably buy some filters at some stage. First need some calipers to measure what size I need.

Nah, too hard...
I already have tape!:ksc75smile:
This is a good solution that I can do immediately. While waiting the filters arrival....

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #60,500 of 64,204
It is the mesh. I think its made of some fabric, cotton like. Its too fragile, I'm always gentle with q tips and never faced that issue before
I've never cleaned the screen of an IEM. I guess some people have dry ear wax that may flake into that mesh screen, but others like me have stickier ear wax that stays put in my ear.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #60,502 of 64,204
So is the screen for protecting your ears or more the earpiece? Or both? Forgive me I've never had one fall out lol
I'm not too knowledgeable on earphone construction, but I think the screen is to keep debris from falling into the earphone, but it can also affect the sound as there are different materials and different pore sizes on the screens.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #60,503 of 64,204
Got my KZ-PR1 Pro yesterday night (Canada Post works day and night, I am happy to admit that I was wrong about them).

PR1 Pro is great, and for $42 - just amazing/fantastic (finally, it pays off a bit to be a KZ beta/gamma tester :))

I liked PR1 HiFi, but the drone bass made them a bit of a special flavour IEM for me.

PR1 Pro perfectly fixed the bass, near ideal to my preferences - it is mightily there when needed, perfect!

Mids feel a bit more defined in the refined, more mature tuning, super great for KZ!

The treble is still there mightily. Many/most may opt to use good-quality foams provided. Me, happy with this treble, true, a bit hot, but for most of classical music recordings it works very well to my ears, and it is always easy to trim than to add.

Finally, I love the build quality, how quite large planar driver made to fit snugly to fairly compact shell. The transparent plastic is more aesthetically pleasing and more practical in cold Canadian winters than metal-plated plastic. All 7 magnet strips can be nicely seen.
20221205_174940.jpg

Great job, KZ in redefining ChiFi standards, yet another time!

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #60,508 of 64,204
Someone complain on their KZ PR1 Pro wasn't started shipped after few days.
I relay it to KZ rep in KZ Discord (and noted that my own KZ PR1 Pro took 5 days and my ESX took 11 days before it start to ship)
Now KZ have this disclaimer on CCA FLA Launch
---
https://www.kztws.com/products/cca-fla

1670315061811.png

---
This disclaimer apparently only for KZ official store bought only which apparently KZTWS.com and KZ official store on ali.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #60,509 of 64,204
Someone complain on their KZ PR1 Pro wasn't started shipped after few days.
I relay it to KZ rep in KZ Discord (and noted that my own KZ PR1 Pro took 5 days and my ESX took 11 days before it start to ship)
Now KZ have this disclaimer on CCA FLA Launch
Mine took 14 days from order date until the status finally changed to shipped.
It's still in China for now. I don't really care too much if it ships late if somone would just provide a reason. Sh#$# happens sometimes and things get delayed.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #60,510 of 64,204
Just got around to the PR1 Pro today.
It's a clear improvement over the PLA13 and PR1 Hifi, but I feel like if you have those previous sets look into some mods to mimic the Pro's tuning.
The treble and mids are refined a bit, but the treble is still a bit too hot. This is easily fixable and I'm enjoying these stock.
Foam tips came with the Pro? That was a nice surprise.
I bumped up subbass slightly and I'm getting a real nice clean slam from this which I think the foams are enhancing. Hard to believe it's a Planar and not a dynamic. I'm really liking these right out of the box.

I had the Euclid for about a day and I wasn't truly impressed, not for $399. This was $45 and I don't need a ton of EQ to enjoy it. That is impressive.

It's a harder sell around ~$80 with so much competition, but I think it would be worth that too. Thumbs up on these as long as a Pro Ultra version doesn't come out next month.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back