Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #60,512 of 64,202
Just got around to the PR1 Pro today.
It's a clear improvement over the PLA13 and PR1 Hifi, but I feel like if you have those previous sets look into some mods to mimic the Pro's tuning.
The treble and mids are refined a bit, but the treble is still a bit too hot. This is easily fixable and I'm enjoying these stock.
Foam tips came with the Pro? That was a nice surprise.
I bumped up subbass slightly and I'm getting a real nice clean slam from this which I think the foams are enhancing. Hard to believe it's a Planar and not a dynamic. I'm really liking these right out of the box.

I had the Euclid for about a day and I wasn't truly impressed, not for $399. This was $45 and I don't need a ton of EQ to enjoy it. That is impressive.

It's a harder sell around ~$80 with so much competition, but I think it would be worth that too. Thumbs up on these as long as a Pro Ultra version doesn't come out next month.
Of course a pro ultra version will come out next month. I have no doubt. :)
How are they with capturing the details and instrument separation?

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #60,513 of 64,202
Anyone else with the PR1 Pro noticing a better soundstage and imaging over the PLA13/PR1 Hifi? It doesn't make sense and shouldn't really be possible if it's the same driver, but that's what im perceiving (no A/B test though).
According to KZ, PR1 pro have updated driver with altered shell, apparently taller shell which gonna affect the sound
and lowering bass amount also help the driver to sing better without muddied by extra bass response

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #60,514 of 64,202
Anyone else with the PR1 Pro noticing a better soundstage and imaging over the PLA13/PR1 Hifi? It doesn't make sense and shouldn't really be possible if it's the same driver, but that's what im perceiving (no A/B test though).

Haven't heard the PR1/pro yet, but EQing can increase/decrease background information like reverbs and delays too, so we would hear the "room simulation" and hearing slightly different perceived soundstage.

According to KZ, PR1 pro have updated driver with altered shell, apparently taller shell which gonna affect the sound
and lowering bass amount also help the driver to sing better without muddied by extra bass response

But this is more likely the better explanation 😁

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #60,515 of 64,202
Definitely, the Pro sound stage and imaging are better than those of HiFi.
Hifi are noticeably less sensitive and correspondingly feel more dampened with the direct hit to the stage, transparency and layering.

At the same time, the stage on few other larger-driver planars is more spacious in comparison, e.g Dioko by perhaps a little bit, and Muse Power significantly - one of the most spacious IEM that I have (treble is rich and does require some attention).

Overall, relative to other planars that I have and quite a few of other IEMs in the $50-100 range, PR1 pro feel solidly competitive at $70-80.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #60,516 of 64,202
From the PLA13 to the PR1 Pro I associate the better soundstage and imaging with the more controlled bass so there's less bleed as well as less sizzle obscuring the air. Less bass bleed means more details heard as well so softer sounds (that we perceive as further) come through better.

Anyone know the mesh sizes of these two?
20221207_093041.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #60,517 of 64,202
Of course a pro ultra version will come out next month. I have no doubt. :)
How are they with capturing the details and instrument separation?
Above average. Instruments are easily pinpointed in complicated Metal passages. One of the best KZ's I've heard to date, and it had me engaged the whole time while listening last night.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #60,518 of 64,202
I am pretty knocked out with the HiFi's. My first time trying planar. Ordered on 11.11 right before the Pro came out.

They seem to be more amp dependent than any IEM I've heard. The best thing I have is a Liquid Spark, and the slam and clarity with that is just beautiful. I don't mind the treble as much as I thought I might, with most music. EQ experimenting is fun but I tend to go back to the stock tuning, with foam tips.

I saw positive reviews on these saying, yknow, very good for the price but not really at the level of the $200 sets. Well I'm convinced to invest a little more later on. I'll let the "planar war" go on for another while and check back.

Wonder how people like the Pro compared to the pricier ones.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #60,519 of 64,202
I am pretty knocked out with the HiFi's. My first time trying planar. Ordered on 11.11 right before the Pro came out.

They seem to be more amp dependent than any IEM I've heard. The best thing I have is a Liquid Spark, and the slam and clarity with that is just beautiful. I don't mind the treble as much as I thought I might, with most music. EQ experimenting is fun but I tend to go back to the stock tuning, with foam tips.

I saw positive reviews on these saying, yknow, very good for the price but not really at the level of the $200 sets. Well I'm convinced to invest a little more later on. I'll let the "planar war" go on for another while and check back.

I'd put them at $150, they are definitely an upgrade over the dioko and for me at least, the better extension makes it preferable to the OG timeless.

It can be considered as a zetian wu alternative if you like a more aggresive presentation.

Its not perfect though, if drier sounding vocals, intense (yet not quite harsh) treble, and what seems like an overly snappy presentation aren't your cup of tea, you may want to look elsewhere.

While I do really enjoy the set due to its snap and treble sparkle, those same qualities make it an intense and fatiguing listen. I will definitely be looking into toning down the treble.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #60,520 of 64,202

Some points out that PR1 Pro is a step or slightly behind Wu and S12 in terms of mid and treble clarity and smoothness.
Paul goes as far as its 5% behind. Considering the price that i bought it in $42 ($80 retail), if its 5% less than a $120~$150 iem, its a steal.
---

CCA FLA official graph translated by Evasb from KZ discord.
The tuning KZ/CCA bet big on to fight their new neighbour

1670459472526.png

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #60,521 of 64,202
Some points out that PR1 Pro is a step or slightly behind Wu and S12 in terms of mid and treble clarity and smoothness.

I'd say it's more of: has extension but is unrefined (PR1 Pro) vs poor extension (Wu)

Granted not having any extension will be better than super peaky extension but it's not like the PR1 Pro is unlistenable like the Moondrop Stellaris. And even that has its own following.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #60,522 of 64,202
I'd say it's more of: has extension but is unrefined (PR1 Pro) vs poor extension (Wu)

Granted not having any extension will be better than super peaky extension but it's not like the PR1 Pro is unlistenable like the Moondrop Stellaris. And even that has its own following.
That poor poor moondrop keyboard dac/amp reviewer who trying to be as polite as possible as he ended pairing the relatively bright dac/amp with stelarris.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #60,523 of 64,202
That poor poor moondrop keyboard dac/amp reviewer who trying to be as polite as possible as he ended pairing the relatively bright dac/amp with stelarris.
Lol, are you talking about Keybored? I used to be into mechanical keyboards a couple months ago and he was probably my favorite keyboard YouTuber. I haven't seen that video yet

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #60,524 of 64,202
Found some graphs for the PR1 Pro and started playing around with AutoEQ.
Measurement is from ianfann, target is HBB.
Check out that FR all the way up to 5kHz. No wonder why I like it so much.
The AutoEQ takes the spice out of the treble and gives a very balanced response across the entire graph
Screenshot 2022-12-08 005104.png

Attachments

• KZ PR1 PRO IANFANN HBB.txt
    502 bytes · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back