Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #10,516 of 64,173

Better? April's fools?  Or for real?

For real. Classic Head-fi goodness right there. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #10,518 of 64,173
If I already have the EDSE, should I go for the ed9 or ed3c for something different?

Now that you mention the ED3c... guys, is there ANY difference between the ED3c (sold by Easy), and the ED3m (sold by HCK)? I just compared the specifications and pictures for both offers, and they look exactly the same. Then, why two different names? Are these really two different models?
Easy sells the ED3c ONLY. And HCK sells the ED3m ONLY. Why?

Look: 
(Images from AE) 

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #10,519 of 64,173

Now that you mention the ED3c... guys, is there ANY difference between the ED3c (sold by Easy), and the ED3m (sold by HCK)? I just compared the specifications and pictures for both offers, and they look exactly the same. Then, why two different names? Are these really two different models?
Easy sells the ED3c ONLY. And HCK sells the ED3m ONLY. Why?

Look: 
(Images from AE) 

I'm not sure, but it looks like the ED3M are the version with Microphone and ED3c are the version without. At least that's the way it seems on some of the other sellers stores.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #10,520 of 64,173
They still haven't nailed anything that can compete in the $100+ sector, which I hope they eventually move on to. A $30 KZ that can keep up with a $150 standard, or a $65 KZ that matches a $200+ is what I look forward to happening in the future.

You have the Ostry KC06 for that job already
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #10,521 of 64,173
  I'm not sure, but it looks like the ED3M are the version with Microphone and ED3c are the version without. At least that's the way it seems on some of the other sellers stores.

Not really, they both sell 4 variations:

1. blue with mic
2. blue without mic
3. red with mic
4. red without mic

At first I thought the blue one was the ED3c and the red one the ED3m, but that doesn't seem to be correct anymore.
Hopefully Easy or Teresa can solve the mystery next time they come over here.

popcorn.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #10,522 of 64,173

Not really, they both sell 4 variations:

1. blue with mic
2. blue without mic
3. red with mic
4. red without mic

At first I thought the blue one was the ED3c and the red one the ED3m, but that doesn't seem to be correct anymore.
Hopefully Easy or Teresa can solve the mystery next time they come over here.

popcorn.gif

Is there a SQ difference between the mic and no mic versions?

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #10,525 of 64,173
  Is there a SQ difference between the mic and no mic versions?

Yes, but hopefully not significatively. I order all my earphones with microphone to use them also as ``hands free'' devices on my phone. 
There's some sound differences among two adjacent earphones from the production line, that is typical, even among the right and left drivers from the same pair of headphones there are differences. To manufacture two drivers with exactly the same sound is really hard, look a measurement of frequency response of the right and left drivers from a pair of KZ ATE:

Blue is left and red is right. As you can see, they are not the same, therefore, they do not sound the exactly same, that is typical. There are some manufactures who actually search for a paired driver to put on the same pair of headphones, like Sennheiser with the HD650, but to do that is really expensive. KZ on the other hand just takes a couple drivers from the manufacturing line, and put them on a pair of earphones, mic or no mic. They will sound different. And the next pair of headphones WILL also sound different, and so on and on. Therefore, if you compare a pair with mic and a pair without mic, they will sound a little different, but it is most probably not because the mic presence, but due to the manufacturing quality of the drivers and the earphones. If you compare two without the mic, they will sound different as well. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #10,526 of 64,173

Yes, but hopefully not significatively. I order all my earphones with microphone to use them also as ``hands free'' devices on my phone. 
There's some sound differences among two adjacent earphones from the production line, that is typical, even among the right and left drivers from the same pair of headphones there are differences. To manufacture two drivers with exactly the same sound is really hard, look a measurement of frequency response of the right and left drivers from a pair of KZ ATE:

Blue is left and red is right. As you can see, they are not the same, therefore, they do not sound the exactly same, that is typical. There are some manufactures who actually search for a paired driver to put on the same pair of headphones, like Sennheiser with the HD650, but to do that is really expensive. KZ on the other hand just takes a couple drivers from the manufacturing line, and put them on a pair of earphones, mic or no mic. They will sound different. And the next pair of headphones WILL also sound different, and so on and on. Therefore, if you compare a pair with mic and a pair without mic, they will sound a little different, but it is most probably not because the mic presence. If you compare two without the mic, they will sound different as well. 
wink_face.gif

thanks for the info, etymotic er4 also uses BAs matched to less than 1db of left-right difference.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #10,527 of 64,173
got to spend some time with the edse and my impressions (in case anyone cares) are this:
darkish sound; relatively small soundstage; lotsa bass depth and impact. a real "wow" factor with heavy music like rap or hard rock. with more nuanced/acoustic stuff their limitations are more apparent--in particular there's not a great deal of treble detail or extension--cymbals and piano in particular are not as fully resolved as better iems. easy to drive, but they sound better the louder they get. reviewing these, it's hard to keep price out of the equation--compared to their peers, these are more natural sounding and better than piston2 or mee m9, tho i think the lg quadbeats are more refined. overall much fun; looking forward to the two new kzs i impulsively ordered.

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #10,528 of 64,173
For real. Classic Head-fi goodness right there. :beerchug:

Indeed, when I first started watching the threads on Head-Fi the Moniprice 88 somethings got a lot of love out here and still do get respect:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #10,529 of 64,173
In my opinion they are just a bit more refined than the kzs I've tried
smily_headphones1.gif
they also sound exceptionally natural for the $7 price tag.
It really is my opinion, but trying can't harm can it? The fit is what most people don't like, but a long tip (dual flange?) Helps a lot.

Thanks!!! I just put them on my shopping list. Is that page (Monoprice) trustworthy?
The white model looks cool (and cheaper) but it is out of stock.
What they don't tell is the shipping fare to Mexico. Hopefully they don't charge $30 USD for DHL or FedEx.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #10,530 of 64,173
Hi, asked this question previosuly with no response, was just wondering how the bass on the zs1 compare with the xiaomi hybrid or piston 2, as after comparing my zs1 with my xiaomi hybrids, impact is about the same and not as tight. Is this how its meant to be?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back