Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 2, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #10,531 of 64,175
Hi, asked this question previosuly with no response, was just wondering how the bass on the zs1 compare with the xiaomi hybrid or piston 2, as after comparing my zs1 with my xiaomi hybrids, impact is about the same and not as tight. Is this how its meant to be?

Thanks

Sorry, my ZS1 is on order. I don't know. Hopefully somebody else does know.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #10,532 of 64,175
Hey guys, I have a question:
Some of you have reported that their earphones sometimes do make "crunching" noises when putting on (compressing the air inside the earphones, hence making the diaphragm do cracking noises). My KZ ED 10 does this thing on the right driver when I put it on, the left one does not. I think I just found out why... But, how do you call this phenomenon? 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #10,533 of 64,175
That would be driver flex. Driver flex is heard as kind of a crinkly sound. As you push the IEM into your ear you create a pressure build up. This pressure causes the driver to flex, which you can hear. Anything you can do to alleviate this rapid pressure build up, such as slow insertion, venting the dynamic driver, using foam tips which seal more slowly, will help to minimize or eliminate it. All IEM's with dynamic drivers, particularly if there is no venting, can be subject to this. Generally the driver flexes right back into its original position and all is fine. Theoretically if the flex is sever enough, it could permanently deform or dislodge the driver however this rarely happens.

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #10,534 of 64,175
Thanks!!! I just put them on my shopping list. Is that page (Monoprice) trustworthy?
The white model looks cool (and cheaper) but it is out of stock.
What they don't tell is the shipping fare to Mexico. Hopefully they don't charge $30 USD for DHL or FedEx.

You can also try Amazon if the shipping becomes too high. Whites are the best ones (and I with my stupid head bought 5 (!!!!) Black ones). Whites have normal cable and better build.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #10,535 of 64,175
I bought an ED9, ATE and HDS1 in the last Aliexpress sales, and I've got to say the KZ shop there is fantastic. They ask if you need to correct your order before shipping, free shipping and it shipped unbelievably fast (especially compared to most free shippings in aliexpress).

They've already left China, so hopefully I can try them soon!

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #10,536 of 64,175
That would be driver flex. Driver flex is heard as kind of a crinkly sound. As you push the IEM into your ear you create a pressure build up. This pressure causes the driver to flex, which you can hear. Anything you can do to alleviate this rapid pressure build up, such as slow insertion, venting the dynamic driver, using foam tips which seal more slowly, will help to minimize or eliminate it. All IEM's with dynamic drivers, particularly if there is no venting, can be subject to this. Generally the driver flexes right back into its original position and all is fine. Theoretically if the flex is sever enough, it could permanently deform or dislodge the driver however this rarely happens.

Thanks!!! That is it, driver flex.
I just found that the small vent hole of my ED10's right driver is blocked. Therefore when I put the right driver on, it flexes. The other, the left one, is open, and the driver doesn't flex. The right one (the one blocked), has considerably more bass than the left one (the open one). So there is a though decision coming, should I open the hole and lose the strong bass, or should I block the other hole to equal the bass response, making both drivers to flex. 
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #10,537 of 64,175
Thanks!!! That is it, driver flex.
I just found that the small vent hole of my ED10's right driver is blocked. Therefore when I put the right driver on, it flexes. The other, the left one, is open, and the driver doesn't flex. The right one (the one blocked), has considerably more bass than the left one (the open one). So there is a though decision coming, should I open the hole and lose the strong bass, or should I block the other hole to equal the bass response, making both drivers to flex. 
:ksc75smile:  

Your choice... I'd recommend to open both holes but it's your call.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #10,538 of 64,175

Maybe open both holes and make a hole sealer with a bit of plasticine so you can have no driver flex when putting them in and so your can have that strong bass by applying plasticine later?

Bah , i worded it poorly, find it confusing when i read myself. but make out what you can from it.  

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #10,539 of 64,175
ZS1 at 10$!?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-KZ-ZS1-Dual-Dynamic-Monitoring-Stereo-Sound-HiFi-Headphones-Headset-With-Microphone/32556643634.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.67.iYh5SA&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_4_301_10034_10033_507_10032_10020_10017_10005_10006_10021_10022_401_10018_9999_10019,searchweb201603_9&btsid=775fd6b0-86bb-4b0f-b203-6e7d59477ce2

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #10,540 of 64,175
I had this with the ZN1 mini. Right driver had some serious flex. Did get a replacement which, how curious, has the same issue unfortunately..

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #10,541 of 64,175
  ZS1 at 10$!?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-KZ-ZS1-Dual-Dynamic-Monitoring-Stereo-Sound-HiFi-Headphones-Headset-With-Microphone/32556643634.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.67.iYh5SA&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_4_301_10034_10033_507_10032_10020_10017_10005_10006_10021_10022_401_10018_9999_10019,searchweb201603_9&btsid=775fd6b0-86bb-4b0f-b203-6e7d59477ce2

Oh, snap. I just ordered these suckers for USD$13, during the sale. Thanks for the tip anyway!!! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #10,542 of 64,175

Maybe open both holes and make a hole sealer with a bit of plasticine so you can have no driver flex when putting them in and so your can have that strong bass by applying plasticine later?

Bah , i worded it poorly, find it confusing when i read myself. but make out what you can from it.  

I had this with the ZN1 mini. Right driver had some serious flex. Did get a replacement which, how curious, has the same issue unfortunately..

Thanks guys. This is what I found:

The left driver was blocked, apparently from the factory by the shiny (chrome like) coating the ED10 has:

See the blocked hole in the middle of the picture? This was the driver with the flexing, because the air was trapped.

On the other hand, the right driver's hole was open:

Again, look at the centre of the picture. This driver had no flexing at all.
I just punctured the blocked hole with a needle, and voila!!!
The driver flexing is gone, yay!!!

Now I will follow your advice and will experiment blocking both holes to get more bass. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #10,543 of 64,175

The left driver was blocked, apparently from the factory by the shiny (chrome like) coating the ED10 has:

See the blocked hole in the middle of the picture? This was the driver with the flexing, because the air was trapped.

Now I will follow your advice and will experiment blocking both holes to get more bass. 
beerchug.gif

All the best!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #10,544 of 64,175

beerchug.gif

Could that be the "issue" why I`m not agreeing with some users about ED10 being "bassy". My ED10 has both holes perfectly open and it sounds very well balanced with no boosted bass.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #10,545 of 64,175
I agree!

My ED10 do not sound bass-heavy, but rather more balanced with a slightly bright signature with wide-bored tips.

......on the other hand, users here should be more aware of QC issues and definitely exchange, or get their money back on time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back