LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #391 of 1,050
Well yeah, but keep in mind I'm comparing the M8 to the other smartphones that DON'T have a premium amp/DAC already in them. The v10 is a major exception because it's like the only flagship phone (I believe the v10 was a flagship right?) that has this unique characteristic to it. I really just posted that info for anyone who might be looking at the HTC 10, which comes out next week. 

Got ya man. I was going to wait for the g5 and m10 before I chose a new phone, but my m8 crapped out on me a few weeks ago so I got the v10. No regrets, I love this phone

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #392 of 1,050
Got ya man. I was going to wait for the g5 and m10 before I chose a new phone, but my m8 crapped out on me a few weeks ago so I got the v10. No regrets, I love this phone

That sux. It sounds like the v10 is a great phone though, especially in sound (and no physical home button either lol). No other stand-alone phone compares to it from what I've seen. 

My ONLY reason for not wanting to get it is the size (the 2K screen on the v10 is cool too, though not a big deal to me since I like phones with screens closer to 5" vs. 5.7"). It's just a bit too big for me vs. Sony Xperia X Performance

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #393 of 1,050
rockstar, i have no idea how htc plans on making the speakers better--that's why they make the big bucks :). purely from a hypothetical standpoint, they could use some sort of omni and/or other wide-diffracting speaker design + a more powerful amp--we'll know soon enough. i do agree the s7 external speaker is badly implemented, though it wouldn't be deal breaker for me since the only time i use a speakerphone is to get yelled at by my wife or kids.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #394 of 1,050
  rockstar, i have no idea how htc plans on making the speakers better--that's why they make the big bucks :). purely from a hypothetical standpoint, they could use some sort of omni and/or other wide-diffracting speaker design + a more powerful amp--we'll know soon enough. i do agree the s7 external speaker is badly implemented, though it wouldn't be deal breaker for me since the only time i use a speakerphone is to get yelled at by my wife or kids.

lol...... ok. 

Yeah maybe....... like it may give a more "surround sound" feel, possibly. My sister had the M9 last year actually and I tested out the speakers in both regular and theater/surround sound modes. The surround sound one was DAMN good! So it's possible. But I'm biased so it will take MAJOR convincing for me to open up to it. lol 

Now if it turns out these leaks have been wrong and the physical home button does NOT exist on the HTC 10, then boy step back! lol The Xperia X Performance comes with a fingerprint sensor, but only the global version will get it, but in the U.S. no warranty with that unlocked phone. The U.S. version is the same model with only a 1 year warranty but the software won't be present (why? I have no clue lol). So either way, that kinda sux. If the camera is also strong on the 10 too, then I MAY very likely get the 10. The leaks for the M9 last year turned out to be way off from what I've read, so it's possible that may happen again, but I dunno. lol 

Ha! Well I can see why that wouldn't exactly be a major priority for you. lol

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #395 of 1,050
That sux. It sounds like the v10 is a great phone though, especially in sound (and no physical home button either lol). No other stand-alone phone compares to it from what I've seen. 

My ONLY reason for not wanting to get it is the size (the 2K screen on the v10 is cool too, though not a big deal to me since I like phones with screens closer to 5" vs. 5.7"). It's just a bit too big for me vs. Sony Xperia X Performance

For about a day I didn't like the size, now it feels normal. The external speaker is pretty loud too

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #396 of 1,050
For about a day I didn't like the size, now it feels normal. The external speaker is pretty loud too

I'd be more willing to try it, but I actually had the S7 Edge for about week when it first came out (got it early, about 2 weeks before it's official release date). And even after 2 weeks, I just couldn't get passed the extra big size. And that was actually still smaller than the V10. lol 

But I'm happy you like it. Sounds like LG may be starting an audio revolution here?! lol

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #397 of 1,050
I'd be more willing to try it, but I actually had the S7 Edge for about week when it first came out (got it early, about 2 weeks before it's official release date). And even after 2 weeks, I just couldn't get passed the extra big size. And that was actually still smaller than the V10. lol 

But I'm happy you like it. Sounds like LG may be starting an audio revolution here?! lol

Yeah, I feel ya man, but for me the sound quality I'm getting out of this thing far outweighs the fact that its a bit too big.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #398 of 1,050
Yeah, I feel ya man, but for me the sound quality I'm getting out of this thing far outweighs the fact that its a bit too big.

Thanks. 

Oh I'm sure. lol If they just had a smaller version I'd be very interested. But I was like giving dirty looks at my S7 Edge by the time I switched it for the regular S7, so I know I won't feel the same. lol

Maybe the V11 will have a smaller body? lol 
beyersmile.png

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #399 of 1,050

The V10 actually has the same DAC (ESS9018) as my Oppo HA-2, so I think I have a pretty good idea of the kind of quality you're referring to. And yes, it IS very impressive! 

Even though my K553 headphones are only 32 ohms, I still use the High gain setting on my HA-2 just because sometimes on the quieter Hi-Res tracks/albums it may not get QUITE loud enough in Low gain. Typically though, with High gain, I hardly ever go past 2 or 3 (max is 5) on it. I mean it's so rare I almost wanna say never. THAT's the kind of volume output I'm hoping the B&O DAC mod will offer up. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #400 of 1,050
Apparently,the LG G5 is easier to repair

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/04/06/the-lg-g5-is-just-as-easy-to-repair-as-the-g4-gets-an-810-from-ifixits-teardown/

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #403 of 1,050
Hey guys. I'm here to deliver some extremely sad news. While reading Android Authority (fairly reliable source) I noticed this part about his review of B&O dac:

Before you get too excited about the Hi-Fi DAC though, it’s not going to work with G5 smartphones sold in Korea, Canada, Puerto Rico or the USA; LG declined to comment on why it won’t work with these devices (and why listings were pulled in the US), but it’s worth keeping this in mind if you planned to buy the G5 in one of these markets and wanted to buy the Hi-Fi Plus.

So in short womp womp womp. Oh well there is always gigantic V10 I guess, or maybe International version of G5 or HTC10 or magical Chinese unicorn >< 

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #404 of 1,050
  Hey guys. I'm here to deliver some extremely sad news. While reading Android Authority (fairly reliable source) I noticed this part about his review of B&O dac:

So in short womp womp womp. Oh well there is always gigantic V10 I guess, or maybe International version of G5 or HTC10 or magical Chinese unicorn >< 

But why they are selling it here in Canada:

http://ca.mobilefun.com/58379-official-lg-g5-hi-fi-plus-with-bo-play-audio-expansion-module-black.htm

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #405 of 1,050

Wow. Well maybe they declined to comment because LG didn't wanna say anything until they knew for sure? 

But I guess if people don't want to wait they can STILL get the international G5 and/or B&O DAC from Amazon and test them out. And I THINK or believe the B&O DAC will work, just not with the U.S. version of the LG G5? (Whitigir, or anyone who knows for sure............please confirm this.)

I'd try the B&O mod out, but until someone here can tell me a way to put it into High Impedance mode (Aux may not be enough) when connected to a non-LG phone, I won't. lol Also, will it even work with a U.S. non-LG phone b/c of the not being approved by the FCC thing??? Anyone?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back