LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 13, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #496 of 1,050
audioquest, with their new dragonflys to be released next week, must be kicking up their heels with joy because LG has made a mistake imo by not releasing the Hi Fi module ... and audioquest is going to be eating LG's lunch getting a good headstart in the game.

Think about it ...the dragonfly already has a good reputation; and the new versions are supposed to be both cheaper and better than the current models...and will now compatible with both IOS and Android... It already has brand awareness, a track record...and once the reviews come in for the new versions (if they're very positive) then the lg/Bang & Olufsen hi fi module is going to have a hard time selling with the same momentum...unless it's cheaper and comparable...just my 2 cents.

Lastly the dragonfly just looks cool... those little flickering, multi colored lights on it, nice small form-factor... vs the LG hi fi module which is somewhat bland and 'meh' in design.

Bad marketing decision by LG I think.
but we'll see.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #497 of 1,050
the htc 10 was announced yesterday--there's already a flurry of reviews. sounds like htc nailed it--everyone commented about its awesome  audio capabilities. apparently, instead of front-facing stereo speakers htc put a woofer on the bottom and tweeter on top. internal amp is 1w and supposed to be a variety of upsampling and sound-contouring features. i'll be a buyer.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #498 of 1,050
Question - so what's the difference between G5 and HTC 10?

-Both support 24 bit by standard (LG friend supports 32 bit)
-I'm not sure if 24-bit or 32-bit upsampling makes the difference (even Tidal is limited to 16bit / CD quality).
-G5 has been said to be able to drive big headphones at low volumes (inadequate amp?)
-Getting a feeling that LG miscalculated this round - V10 had amp builtin without the premium price; HTC 10 probably has decent baseline audioquality too, and flagship components without the additional B&O unit cost.

-I guess its too early to say while we wait to hear more comparison on sound signature / volume!

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #499 of 1,050
Question - so what's the difference between G5 and HTC 10?

-Both support 24 bit by standard (LG friend supports 32 bit)
-I'm not sure if 24-bit or 32-bit upsampling makes the difference (even Tidal is limited to 16bit / CD quality).
-G5 has been said to be able to drive big headphones at low volumes (inadequate amp?)
-Getting a feeling that LG miscalculated this round - V10 had amp builtin without the premium price; HTC 10 probably has decent baseline audioquality too, and flagship components without the additional B&O unit cost.

-I guess its too early to say while we wait to hear more comparison on sound signature / volume!

I'm curious to see whether HTC is just using the Snapdragon DAC or they have a higher quality one built in. I suspect it's just the Snapdragon DAC and they just put in a separate, more powerful amp rather than just using the on-board amp. That's what they usually do. If so I think it might fall below the B&O in quality, since it has an ESS DAC, even if output power is similar, but I guess we'll have to wait for more info. 

I expect build quality and software on the HTC to be far superior to the G5. HTC has generally had exceptional build quality with their phones, and their software tends to be a lighter touch, and therefore faster, than LG or Samsung put out. That's my experience at least. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #502 of 1,050
http://www.whathifi.com/lg/g5/review

Hmm nice. Still waiting to hear what Head-Fiers have to say, but this is good to know. I value whathifi.com's opinion too. They rated my former AKG K550 SO highly that it not only got 5 stars but was given the status of "2015 Award Winner" as well. I couldn't agree with them more, especially after testing my K553 out vs. several much more expensive headphones and hearing them fail where the K55X series succeeds. 

And btw, today's word is most definitely.............Llackadaisical. lolackadaisical

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #503 of 1,050
http://www.stuff.tv/lg/g5/hi-fi-plus/review

Interesting. Seems very similar to the WhatHiFi review just posted, but then the ending isn't so good for people who want to use it on devices BESIDES the G5: 

Apple’s iPhone 6s is one of the best-sounding phones around, but by comparison it seems like a blunt instrument. Which makes the LG G5 and Hi-Fi Plus the best- sounding phone out there.

But also this part I didn't like: 

Unfortunately, here we found the first chink in the Hi-Fi Plus' armour. While it did improve the sound of the Macbook Air we tested it with, the difference wasn’t anywhere near as drastic as it was on the LG G5.

So I guess it doesn't sound as great with PCs and prob other phones too? Or is is that the Macbook Air happens to have a pretty good DAC on it already? Anyone know. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #504 of 1,050
Interesting. Seems very similar to the WhatHiFi review just posted, but then the ending isn't so good for people who want to use it on devices BESIDES the G5: 

[COLOR=263238]Apple’s iPhone 6s is one of the best-sounding phones around, but by comparison it seems like a blunt instrument. Which makes the LG G5 and Hi-Fi Plus the best- sounding phone out there.[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]
[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]
[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]But also this part I didn't like: [/COLOR][COLOR=263238]
[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]
[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]Unfortunately, here we found the first chink in the Hi-Fi Plus' armour. While it did improve the sound of the Macbook Air we tested it with, the difference wasn’t anywhere near as drastic as it was on the LG G5.[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]
[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]
[/COLOR][COLOR=263238]So I guess it doesn't sound as great with PCs and prob other phones too? Or is is that the Macbook Air happens to have a pretty good DAC on it already? Anyone know. [/COLOR]

Lol....he never heard of V10 then

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #506 of 1,050
Some exciting phones coming out.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #507 of 1,050
http://www.stuff.tv/lg/g5/hi-fi-plus/review

V10 has been out since October last year but these guys still have no clue about LG's audio implementation. Yet they keep writing supposed audio reviews about LG phones.

From the Stuff review:

Amp is in NORMAL mode. They STILL aren't hearing what it can do..........

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #510 of 1,050
V10 has been out since October last year but these guys still have no clue about LG's audio implementation. Yet they keep writing supposed audio reviews about LG phones.

From the Stuff review:

Amp is in NORMAL mode. They STILL aren't hearing what it can do..........

Lg faults, lol, why let some people who careless about a phone audio quality to review the audio quality aspect of the phone ? I don't think I would ever understand why

Users who are viewing this thread

Back