LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 18, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #556 of 1,050

I think it's all BS. I get releasing different flavors of food etc to different countries. But releasing a faster phone to one group of countries than another to me makes NO sense at all. Why the F would one country be ok with having the slower version of a phone than everyone else? I think it has nothing to do customer preferences and EVERYTHING to do with the bottom line. By putting in a cheaper a processor but still selling it at a higher price (which I'm sure is what they all do, if not close to that), they are saving a considerable amount of money in production costs. It's all BS. 

I wouldn't call Apple ignorant Whit. I think they're actually the ONLY one who ISN'T being ignorant. No matter who or where you are in the world, you know your iPhone 6S is no different than someone's in another country. Now THAT is what I call customer satisfaction. lol 

now i understand...my comparison with guinness is misplaced in comparing it to technology

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #560 of 1,050
If you want to blame somebody for the phone differences in different countries blame the operators. The Verizons, t-mobiles, and Vodafones of the world are the ones deciding which phone you're allowed to buy. That's unless you're apple a can tell them which phone they'll get

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #561 of 1,050
If you want to blame somebody for the phone differences in different countries blame the operators. The Verizons, t-mobiles, and Vodafones of the world are the ones deciding which phone you're allowed to buy. That's unless you're apple a can tell them which phone they'll get

Exactly. Don't blame LG blame your mobile operators. They are the ones causing havoc. There are also large distributors that place orders that also dictate what's available.

Also bear in mind this phone has just been released and clearly the first batch had production issues which had to be fixed and prioritised. In May the DAC and Cam Plus will be readily available. The LG 360 Cam and LG Cam VR friends are available already. The Rolling Bot is expected the month after in June. The US is due with the DAC module is delays around FCC approval.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #564 of 1,050
Apr 25, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #565 of 1,050

does the Hifi DAC come with the iem.

Sold separately in Korea, but I bought them in a promotional bundle which gave me around 50% off the iems.  No idea if they plan to run that kind of promotion in other countries, but it only went on for about 2 weeks here from launch.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #566 of 1,050
Sold separately in Korea, but I bought them in a promotional bundle which gave me around 50% off the iems.  No idea if they plan to run that kind of promotion in other countries, but it only went on for about 2 weeks here from launch.

Looks great. Does the DAC drain battery quicker. And does it still permit quick charge 3?

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #567 of 1,050
Looks great. Does the DAC drain battery quicker. And does it still permit quick charge 3?

It definitely drains noticeably quicker, and only allows quick charge when music is not playing.  One gripe is it detects the impedance of your cans and automatically adjusts the max gain.  I mean it is a useful safety feature for when I accidentally hit the volume button on my phone and get a blast at max volume, which is why I assume they did it, but lower sensitivity drivers like in my Q701's can end up requiring 90-100% volume.  They really need an option in the settings menu to address that.  I tried powering my SE425's with a 75ohm adapter and it had plenty of volume, so I don't think it is a power limitation.  

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #568 of 1,050

It definitely drains noticeably quicker, and only allows quick charge when music is not playing.  One gripe is it detects the impedance of your cans and automatically adjusts the max gain.  I mean it is a useful safety feature for when I accidentally hit the volume button on my phone and get a blast at max volume, which is why I assume they did it, but lower sensitivity drivers like in my Q701's can end up requiring 90-100% volume.  They really need an option in the settings menu to address that.  I tried powering my SE425's with a 75ohm adapter and it had plenty of volume, so I don't think it is a power limitation.  

Don't know if it will work for the G5 but this does work for the V10:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

G5 (from review pics) appears to have the same sound menus and settings as the V10.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #569 of 1,050

Don't know if it will work for the G5 but this does work for the V10:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

G5 (from review pics) appears to have the same sound menus and settings as the V10 

Yep, I thought of that before and it does work, but it really should not be necessary.   It seems they are a little out of touch with their target audience on this.  I am very happy with it over all though.  Bringing a portable amp/dac strapped to my phone was so inconvenient I always just suffered with on board audio.  I am so happy to finally have a truly portable solution.  I am hoping to see some software hacks, and will keep my eyes on the xda-developers forum.  Even as it is, the sacrifices are worth it for the SQ this thing brings.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #570 of 1,050

does the Hifi DAC come with the iem.

I actually ordered this on the G5 release date, but have to wait till end of this month for the release of the Hifi plus, LG actually delayed this, and all LG site shows the Hifi plus with the IEM, so I presume they were a package.

In Hong Kong this was 50% off as well along with other LG friends accessories if you purchased the phone, the Hifi plus cost is HKD 999 discounted (approximate USD 129 and KRW 148,000,00)

I also have the Cam plus at HKD 498 discounted (USD 64 and KRW 73,7000,00) and a case for both Hifi plus and Cam plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back