LG Quadbeat 3 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #333 of 478
Hi Duncan, how do the QB3 AKG stack up to EX1000 in terms of detail and clarity?
I have already ordered a pair of QB3 AKG and Sony MH1
The Sony has the edge in detail, but seeing your later post, you're partnering the Sony with warmer gear to counteract it's harshness, if that works, great, but I cannot help but think that you're painting yourself into a hole... If you like a brighter sound, but more universally tuned, try the Onkyo E700M, been my go to for a few weeks now (and sounds fantastic out of the LG gear!) - needs a bit of messing around with tips (the larger the better, due to shallow fit), everything is dialed up a little compared to the QB3 AKG, which I can attest will sound quite flat if you're used to the EX1000

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #334 of 478
Yep, I can confirm that the LG Quadbeat 3 tuned by AKG sounds good, damn good for it's price range. With the stock tips, the sound is a bit congested and flat. Swapped out the stock tips with the JVC spiral dots, and the sound opened up incredibly. I haven't had the time to experiment with other tips yet.

Disregarding the price difference, I still prefer my Sony EX1000 over the LG QB3A due to the former's upper mid centric sound signature and forward vocal. But factoring in the price difference (I paid around 30x more for the EX1000), I expect the EX1000 to annihilate the QB3A in terms of SQ. Nope, it's a close fight, I can only say that the two IEM sounds different - they are both excellent IEMs in their own rights. IMO, the QB3A will easily put many expensive IEMs to shame.

Definitely going to order a pair for my wife as well to replace her Samsung stock earphones :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #335 of 478
The LG QB3A sounds fantastic with the Sony EX1000 ear tips (hybrid), clarity is improved compared to JVC Spiral Dot.
I've decided to sell my EX1000 (need to sell it as an entire set, so I can't keep the tips). But I would like to get the Sony Hybrid tips again for my LG QB3A. The Sony Hybrid tips are not available for sale locally, and it wouldn't really be feasible for me to purchase from Amazon due to the expensive shipping.

Does anyone know if the tips that come with Sony's EX300AP would be the same as the ones for the EX1000?
Reason I asked is because I can get the EX300AP for much cheaper than getting the hybrid tips from Amazon.

Any help would be much appreciated, here's a picture of the EX300AP: Looks to me like they are the Hybrid tips in S, M, L size... but would like to check if anyone here knows for sure... (I used the Hybrid size M tips on my QB3A)

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #337 of 478
You could do worse than getting these - which are quite a good match for the Sony tips :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #338 of 478
You could do worse than getting these - which are quite a good match for the Sony tips
smily_headphones1.gif

They are kinda different, the hole is smaller and the silicone thickness isn't the same either, so they won't sound the same as the Sony's, that's not to say they aren't worth experimenting with, just not really a replacement for the Sony's, rather another ear tip option in the sea of ear tip options lol.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #339 of 478
They are kinda different, the hole is smaller and the silicone thickness isn't the same either, so they won't sound the same as the Sony's, that's not to say they aren't worth experimenting with, just not really a replacement for the Sony's imo.
True enough, I have some medium, and some large, and - they to me, are ever so slightly better fit...

Saying that, I have de-cored a pair of them, and put the foam inside of the new version (grey, with orange bore) spinfits - oddly, version 2 to be seems to be better than version 1 - even if it only ends up being a colour change!)

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #342 of 478
How do you guys set the EQ for your QB3AKG?
what do you want from them? That is kind of like asking what I want from a menu in a diner, and expecting that you'll like it :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #343 of 478
what do you want from them? That is kind of like asking what I want from a menu in a diner, and expecting that you'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you recommend is what i would ask :wink:

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #344 of 478
What do you recommend is what i would ask :wink:
depends where you come from, even as a big advocate of the QB3 AKG, I'm acutely aware (being an even bigger fan these days of the Onkyo E700M) that if you come from a very energetic IEM, these can sound a little flat / lazy - for some that could be a turn off, however - in their defence, it is a very linear tonal balance that they offer, not putting a foot wrong... sounding pretty damned accurate, just not necessarily the most 'fun' IEMs on the planet...

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #345 of 478
depends where you come from, even as a big advocate of the QB3 AKG, I'm acutely aware (being an even bigger fan these days of the Onkyo E700M) that if you come from a very energetic IEM, these can sound a little flat / lazy - for some that could be a turn off, however - in their defence, it is a very linear tonal balance that they offer, not putting a foot wrong... sounding pretty damned accurate, just not necessarily the most 'fun' IEMs on the planet...

I agree, the only gripe I have with the QB3AKG is that they are a bit flat-sounding (which is why I've tried playing with the EQ), and the sound stage is not nearly as wide as compared to my Sony EX1000. Everything else about it is just impressive given its price point. I tested them on different media players on my Galaxy S6 including the stock player, Onkyo HF Player, Poweramp and to my ears they clearly sounded better with Neutron player.

How's the sound quality of the Onkyo E700M compared to QB3AKG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back