LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #425 of 438
I love my Lumin T2 and really enjoyed my D2 with upgraded Sbooster power supply, but the T2 was noticeably better.

Lumin streamers have no capacity for digital inputs (e.g. to use their internal DAC). The exception is the P1 which is a digital preamp and streamer and supports various inputs. I think the only solution would be to pair with Roon and rip your music onto a server or PC (or use a Roon Nucleus with a hard drive installled) and stream to the Lumin via Ethernet. I believe the Lumin does output digital into your DAC but sort of defeats buying one only to bypass the DAC. Better would be a U1 for that purpose.

I much prefer Roon when using the Lumin. The information, navigation, and DSP settings are superior to the native Lumin app which is clunky by comparison.

Lumin’s technical support is probably the best I’ve seen in 20 years of playing with digital gear. Peter from Lumin is a treasure.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #426 of 438
Hello to the good people on this Lumin U2 thread ! I am " oldhippie " . This is my first time posting on this Lumin U2 thread .

I am very interested in the Lumin U2 streamer / server . It seems to be an good choice for me to use in my dream stereo system . I know that it my not be for everyone . One of the many reasons that I like the Lumin U2 is the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology . It may be a very , very good technology to have good quality volume control in an audiophile stereo system that only uses digital sources , for example , a C D Transport or a music steaming service . I do understand that for the many good people that use analog sources my ideas do not have value .

I am an old audiophile enthusiast and I have many C D disks in my collection . I want to use a good quality C D transport to play my C D disks . I want to use a C D transport with a USB digital audio output , like the very good quality Schiit Audio C D transport , $1,300 or the Shanling ET3 C D transport . $729 .

I know that the Lumin U2 streamer / server does not have an USB digital audio input , only a ST OPTIAL imput and an Ethereal input .

I have an idea that I want to share with all of you . I am not very informed modern digital audio technology , but I can tell that many of you are very knowledgeable . Please consider my ideas and tell me what you think about my ideas .

My ideas are to buy a piece of digital equipment that I could use to connect the USB digital audio cable from my C D transport USB digital audio output that would change the digital technology from USB to either ST GLASS OPTICAL technology ( not toslink ! ) , or to change from USB digital technology to Ethernet digital technology . Then , maybe , I could be able to connect my C D transport with USB digital audio output to the U2 streamer / server . Then I could use the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology to control the volume when I play my C D disks . I would use one input for my C D player and one input for a music streaming service .

I did only a little research on Google .

I did not find a USB to ST GLASS piece of equipment , but there very well may be one available .

I did find a piece of equipment that does seem to convert USB technology to Ethereal technology . Maybe I am mistaken about this piece of equipment . Please look at this piece of equipment and tell my if I am correct .

This piece of equipment is on the " COMMFRONT " website . It is the " USB 3.0 TO GIGABIT CONVERTER " . Model # : " usb30-ETH-1 " . Price : $47.95 .

Please tell me :
Is this a good idea ?
Will this idea work ?
What do all of you think ?

Please excuse me if I have done a poor job trying to communicate my ideas .

Thank you for your time and consideration ! oldhippie .

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #427 of 438
Hello to the good people on this Lumin U2 thread ! I am " oldhippie " . This is my first time posting on this Lumin U2 thread .

I am very interested in the Lumin U2 streamer / server . It seems to be an good choice for me to use in my dream stereo system . I know that it my not be for everyone . One of the many reasons that I like the Lumin U2 is the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology . It may be a very , very good technology to have good quality volume control in an audiophile stereo system that only uses digital sources , for example , a C D Transport or a music steaming service . I do understand that for the many good people that use analog sources my ideas do not have value .

I am an old audiophile enthusiast and I have many C D disks in my collection . I want to use a good quality C D transport to play my C D disks . I want to use a C D transport with a USB digital audio output , like the very good quality Schiit Audio C D transport , $1,300 or the Shanling ET3 C D transport . $729 .

I know that the Lumin U2 streamer / server does not have an USB digital audio input , only a ST OPTIAL imput and an Ethereal input .

I have an idea that I want to share with all of you . I am not very informed modern digital audio technology , but I can tell that many of you are very knowledgeable . Please consider my ideas and tell me what you think about my ideas .

My ideas are to buy a piece of digital equipment that I could use to connect the USB digital audio cable from my C D transport USB digital audio output that would change the digital technology from USB to either ST GLASS OPTICAL technology ( not toslink ! ) , or to change from USB digital technology to Ethernet digital technology . Then , maybe , I could be able to connect my C D transport with USB digital audio output to the U2 streamer / server . Then I could use the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology to control the volume when I play my C D disks . I would use one input for my C D player and one input for a music streaming service .

I did only a little research on Google .

I did not find a USB to ST GLASS piece of equipment , but there very well may be one available .

I did find a piece of equipment that does seem to convert USB technology to Ethereal technology . Maybe I am mistaken about this piece of equipment . Please look at this piece of equipment and tell my if I am correct .

This piece of equipment is on the " COMMFRONT " website . It is the " USB 3.0 TO GIGABIT CONVERTER " . Model # : " usb30-ETH-1 " . Price : $47.95 .

Please tell me :
Is this a good idea ?
Will this idea work ?
What do all of you think ?

Please excuse me if I have done a poor job trying to communicate my ideas .

Thank you for your time and consideration ! oldhippie .
Hi oldhippie!
There is no way to use LUMIN U2 with other inputs. It doesn't have any audio inputs at all.
The LUMIN model to use in this case (where you want to use LUMIN as a preamp) is LUMIN P1.

AFAIK, the piece of equipment you've mentioned would only be useful for networking. I don't think it has any purpose for USB Digital Audio.
Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for!

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #428 of 438
Hi oldhippie!
There is no way to use LUMIN U2 with other inputs. It doesn't have any audio inputs at all.
The LUMIN model to use in this case (where you want to use LUMIN as a preamp) is LUMIN P1.

AFAIK, the piece of equipment you've mentioned would only be useful for networking. I don't think it has any purpose for USB Digital Audio.
Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for!

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #429 of 438
Thank you for your information . I do appreciate your time and attention . I am disappointed to learn that I will not be able to use the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology built into the Lumin U2 streamer / server to control the volume of my C D disks playing on my Schiit Audio URD C D transport with USB digital audio output . I will have to reconsider buying the U2 . I believe that the U2 is a very , very good quality streamer / server , so I am even more disappointed that the U2 does not meet my needs . Maybe you can ask the audio engineers at Lumin if they have any ideas on how I can use the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology in the U2 to control the volume when I play my C D disks on my Schiit Audio URD transport ? Thank you ! oldhippie .

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #430 of 438
Thank you for your information . I do appreciate your time and attention . I am disappointed to learn that I will not be able to use the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology built into the Lumin U2 streamer / server to control the volume of my C D disks playing on my Schiit Audio URD C D transport with USB digital audio output . I will have to reconsider buying the U2 . I believe that the U2 is a very , very good quality streamer / server , so I am even more disappointed that the U2 does not meet my needs . Maybe you can ask the audio engineers at Lumin if they have any ideas on how I can use the LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology in the U2 to control the volume when I play my C D disks on my Schiit Audio URD transport ? Thank you ! oldhippie .
It's simply not possible to route any other audio source through LUMIN U2.
Please consider the LUMIN P1. as you can connect all your sources to it and route them through LEEDH Processing volume control. Then you can choose to either output digitally to a DAC or analogue to a power amplifier.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #432 of 438
Thank you for suggesting the Lumin P1 . The Lumin P1 cost $10,000 . The Lumin P1 has many features that I would not use and do not want . The Lumin P1 uses the 9028 Sabre DAC chips . This is disappointing , many of the new DACs available use the better quality 9038 or 9039 dac chips . The Lumin P1 is a very good quality streamer / server / dac but the Lumin P1 not the best choice for me .
Thank you 😊 ! oldhippie .

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #433 of 438
Hello. which digital output of the LUMIN transport do you use? the usb input of my dac is occupied by the pc. optical input for the TV. AES or coax remained free on the LUMIN u2 device. which standard would be better for u2? I read that AES xlr is not good for the digital part, because its positive and negative signals cannot run at the same time and this causes jitter, and the ear hears the transient, and in principle the square signal is cleaner and safer, with less jitter in the case of coax. what do you think?

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #434 of 438
Hello guys, I have come to a point where I want to upgrade several parts of my chain. At the moment I am concentrating on the source. Presently I am streaming from my PC (Audirvana) to DDC and DAC. Past few weeks I have spent reading lots of forums, reviews and it led me to basically two ways I could go with my source: a) upgrade my PC parts (PSU, JCAT USB XE with either NANO or OPTIMO, USB ENHANCER) or b) go with a quality streamer (Lumin U2 mini, Holo RED, etc.). Can you please share your opinions on both of these solutions?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #435 of 438
Hello guys, I have come to a point where I want to upgrade several parts of my chain. At the moment I am concentrating on the source. Presently I am streaming from my PC (Audirvana) to DDC and DAC. Past few weeks I have spent reading lots of forums, reviews and it led me to basically two ways I could go with my source: a) upgrade my PC parts (PSU, JCAT USB XE with either NANO or OPTIMO, USB ENHANCER) or b) go with a quality streamer (Lumin U2 mini, Holo RED, etc.). Can you please share your opinions on both of these solutions?
Unfortunately Lumin is still missing HQPlayer / NAA support which many other streamers support. Would go with that way as you got more flexibility and more tuning options to get a better overall performance.

Really sad though to see Lumin supporting Roon RAAT but somehow not willing to support HQPlayer even though it’s much requested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back