MASS-Kobo Model 465 Is In The House!
May 10, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #106 of 108
I received my 465 as well! I found bass terrific on first listen, mids and treble were good but not as clear as on my Bliss. I let it burn in overnight and the bass got more resolving. In a track I used on both the Bliss and 465 I found the bass to actually be deeper and more expansive on my Susvara. The mids and treble opened up more and had just a touch of warmth which I like while still remaining highly detailed. I cannot use it for a few days now, but I will get back to it next week or hopefully the weekend. IMG_5958.jpegIMG_5961.jpegIMG_5963.jpegIMG_5963.jpegIMG_5965.jpegIMG_5954.jpeg
If you at all have the space or inclination, I would encourage you to try your Bliss & 465 with your Holo gear separated (completely destacked Bliss and May PSU), as particularly the May PSU gives off a lot of EM interference which to my ear does flatten the staging a bit.

May 10, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #107 of 108
If you at all have the space or inclination, I would encourage you to try your Bliss & 465 with your Holo gear separated (completely destacked Bliss and May PSU), as particularly the May PSU gives off a lot of EM interference which to my ear does flatten the staging a bit.
I do not have the space for that. If I ever find a desktop rack that fits, I will use it, but so far I have not found one.

I also now have everything attached to a Puritan power conditioner which should keep the power feeds noise free.

May 27, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #108 of 108
Cross Post from WC HP thread. I thought I would place this here as well since the testing was done with the Mass-Kobo 465. Tks

Puritan 1512 Power Conditioner Update

I first began using a power conditioner when I heard what they can do for my 2-channel system and flat screen. There I use an Audience aR12 and it noticeably improved the bass and level of detail heard. On my flat screen the colors and overall picture improved. Slight, but immediately noticeable. As Audience’s prices have skyrocketed I decided to go with Puritan for my HP system.

1716789882388.jpeg

Puritan 1512 Power Conditioner

Now that I have used my system with the Puritan 1512 Power Conditioner for over 300 hours I thought I would report on what I heard as promised. The 1512 is a 12 outlet power conditioner though I am only using 3 outlets at the moment. The below comparisons will all be on the Mass-Kobo 465.

320 Hours on the Puritan 1512 Power Conditioner.
Sound Impressions are from using the Susvara.

I used “First We Take Manhattan” by Jennifer Warnes (Famous Blue Raincoat Album) to begin as a test track.

-With the MK-465 plugged into the Puritan some background details at 2:00 into the track were maybe a touch clearer. Jennifer’s voice might have had a touch more quality to her voice.
- Unplugged from the Puritan and plugged into power strip everything was close. Clarity and bass weight all still present.

Repeating this test at 2:30 into the track the bass drive and the drums had a bit more impact. The detail of the bass player was also clearer. So here there was more of a difference between using the Puritan and not using the Puritan. I then switched songs.

At around 1:00 into “Bird On A Wire” (also from Jenifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat Album) the bass drum whacks had more power with the Puritan engaged, background details were easier to pick out, and Jennifer’s voice had a little more presence and warmth. It was sweeter sounding. I did this several times to be sure. I will also say I could go louder with the MK-465 plugged into the Puritan before I felt the sound too loud or harsh to me. I do not listen all that loud to start with (typically at a dB level in the 70’s and sometimes 60’s).

I then decided to do my own noise test using the Susvara, Empyrean and Traillii IEM to see if there were any differences with the Puritan 1512. I did this by plugging in the HP and then turning up the volume with no signal. Please realize that the points where noise was noticed are far beyond the useable volume with the HP or IEM.

Testing for noise with my Susvara:

Same results Both with and without the Puritan:

-Low Gain: Quiet
-Mid Gain: Quiet
-High Gain: Quiet

Empyrean:

Without The Puritan (Empy plugged into 6.5mm Output):

-Mid Gain: Very slight high-pitched tone only at max volume combined with a very faint sound of hum.
-High Gain: Extremely faint high-pitched tone and then hum before the 8th dot (this is one dot on the dial before ¾ volume).

With The Puritan (Empy plugged into 6.5mm Output):

-Mid Gain: Faint high-pitched tone only at Max Volume (lower in level than without the Puritan and No hum).
-High Gain: Extremely faint high-pitched tone and then hum at just before ¾ Volume.

The Puritan does seem to be able to make the MK-465 a quieter amplifier, though any noise heard is at an unusable volume level.

I then decided to test with my Traillii IEMs to see if the MK-465 was quieter with them. I tested both without the Puritan and plugged into a separate power strip. Just to make you all aware, in actual use you will never even get to ½ volume at the lowest gain setting, so absolutely no issue using the MK with IEMs. This is just a test to see if the Puritan Power Conditioner can help the amp be even quieter.

Without the Puritan and IEM plugged into balanced connector via 4.4mm to XLR adapter:

-Low Gain: Quiet. A very slight beginning of a high-pitched tone at max volume.
-Mid Gain: High Pitched Tone begins at just before ¾ Volume
-High Gain: Hash or static at any volume plus Hum at 5th dot on the control (one dot before ½ way.)

Plugged into the Puritan 1512 Power Conditioner:

-Low Gain: Quiet.
-Mid Gain: A high-pitched tone begins a little past ¾ Volume.
-High Gain: Hash or static at any volume plus a high-pitched tone beginning at the 5th dot on the volume control (one dot before ½ way). No Hum.

I will say the Traillii seems to sound better with the MK plugged into the 1512. At low gain it does show the background to be quieter. Jennifer’s voice had just a tad more warmth to it.

In summary the Puritan does make a small difference in the quality of sound from the MK-465. My DAC and Bliss amplifier are also plugged into it.
Is it worth the cost? Good question. For flat out sound quality, I will say no in my circumstance. Now your circumstance may differ if you have noisy power. However, my area does lose power from time to time, and I may also run-on generator. I therefore like having a little added protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back