Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Jun 2, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #349 of 379
I hope I can get my hands on the X2. But that will be later on, as of now,Iv'm in love with my Senns.

If you don't have complaints, no need unless you just wanna try new things. I personally couldn't stand them until they sort of grew on me, and now I miss them for certain genres (old school trance, old pop, jazz) - they nail it even better than HD600 imho. But for general use as I listen to about everything and they suck in sounding clean and clear, I choose X2 and HP150.

If you're happy with what you got, I wouldn't necessarily consider anything else an upgrade, no matter the cost.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #350 of 379
A few posts ago in the previous page Lazyylistener said there is a very noticible diffence, so it all boils down to trust hah... thinking about buying both for Christmas and giving away the beige ones if its an identical sound. Plus I'd be able to perform and publish a direct comparison and close this discussion. I've never returned an item tho, thats a good thought.

Has nothing to do with trust.  What it boils down to is that my experience may not match yours or anyone else's experience, so you have to try them for yourself.  Although I heard a very distinct difference, others have as well, and yet others have not.

Why do you think that YOUR comparison would close the discussion on them sounding different?  Your comparison is only YOUR opinion with one pair of SEs that may or may not sound the same as someone else's pair.  Your comparison shouldn't be meant to be the final word on the topic for all.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #351 of 379
Has nothing to do with trust.  What it boils down to is that my experience may not match yours or anyone else's experience, so you have to try them for yourself.  Although I heard a very distinct difference, others have as well, and yet others have not.

Why do you think that YOUR comparison would close the discussion on them sounding different?  Your comparison is only YOUR opinion with one pair of SEs that may or may not sound the same as someone else's pair.  Your comparison shouldn't be meant to be the final word on the topic for all.

Because noticing differences between things is not a subjective thing. If I say a sound sounds sharp and you don't, our ears are different. But if you eq it down, we would both notice the difference in the sound.

Especially if the difference is significant.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #352 of 379
LazyListener Remember I said back then, when I had the chance to compare the two models, that the only difference I noticed was that the ivories I tested had metal screws while my SE have plastic screws?

Well, it turns out I was wrong. It's metal screws just as well, but the black matte painting gives the ones in the SE a plastic look and feel. As I disassembled the headphones for modding, a screw slipped from my hand and the driver's magnet sucked it instantly! I couldn't even react (makes you wonder how powerful those drivers are...). It was a hell to recover the little screw, as it was stuck beneath the web-like brace. I was really scared by how fast the screw got there, that it might have perforated the thin sheet that covers the driver. It took me about 10 minutes to finally retrieve that naughty screw.

Luckily, the driver wasn't harmed in the process and the sound quality is the same, but I had to give up on the mod.

But I digress, my point is, not only the sound is the same, there is no difference in the build quality either, as even the screws are made of metal in both versions. So, as of today, there is no evidence to suggest that the SE follows an alternate, cheaper, manufacturing process.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #353 of 379
LazyListener Remember I said back then, when I had the chance to compare the two models, that the only difference I noticed was that the ivories I tested had metal screws while my SE have plastic screws?

Well, it turns out I was wrong. It's metal screws just as well, but the black matte painting gives the ones in the SE a plastic look and feel. As I disassembled the headphones for modding, a screw slipped from my hand and the driver's magnet sucked it instantly! I couldn't even react (makes you wonder how powerful those drivers are...). It was a hell to recover the little screw, as it was stuck beneath the web-like brace. I was really scared by how fast the screw got there, that it might have perforated the thin sheet that covers the driver. It took me about 10 minutes to finally retrieve that naughty screw.

Luckily, the driver wasn't harmed in the process and the sound quality is the same, but I had to give up on the mod.

But I digress, my point is, not only the sound is the same, there is no difference in the build quality either, as even the screws are made of metal in both versions. So, as of today, there is no evidence to suggest that the SE follows an alternate, cheaper, manufacturing process.

I found amazon.de has them for 230 euro, while amazon.fr for about 113 euro. Is this for real?!

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #354 of 379
@LazyListener Remember I said back then, when I had the chance to compare the two models, that the only difference I noticed was that the ivories I tested had metal screws while my SE have plastic screws?

That's cool.  Thanks for updating.  Still, we were just speculating about possible reasons why they sounded different.

All we know for a fact is that some people have reported them sounding different while others have reported them sounding the same.  We can speculate about the reasons for this until the cows come home, but it's fair to say that if something is made EXACTLY the same using the exact same parts, materials, and tolerances, that they really should sound identical under the same operating conditions and environment.  And because some of them don't sound identical, there must be a material, physical reason for that.  At least in my case, I know without ANY doubt that they sounded noticeably different, and it wasn't just "in my head."  No one has any right to tell someone else that what they're hearing is just in their head without some measurable proof.  The "just in your head" may only be suggested as a possibility in these forums.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #355 of 379
Well, I had a pair of the SE's and these were terrible. Absolutly zero bass. I just could not believe how bad they were. Bought a pair of 558's and they were waaay better all around. Much more bass. I will probably try a pair of ivory ones soon because these are tried and true for a long time. Maybe in the beginning production of the se's, their were some duds. Made for Amazon only. Different plant manufacturing? I believe everything Lazylistener is saying.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #356 of 379

That's cool.  Thanks for updating.  Still, we were just speculating about possible reasons why they sounded different...

The HD598 are a quagmire. I don't think there has been a more widely contested headphone here on Head-fi. When I reply to a thread or user, it's to agree, or put forth an alternative point of view. When I read someone's review and/or opinions for a headphone I have heard or own(ed) I am usually in agreement with 90-95% of what is said. However, when it comes to the HD598 it's just mind blowing to me how so many people are hearing the headphones in a way that I and others are not, hence why I always feel compelled to 'go to bat' for them. From what has been said that's contrary to what I hear, I can not attribute the disparity to "one's personal preference" or "everyone hears sound differently". Something just isn't right at all.

I think that next time there is a large local meet (like NY or SF), EVERYONE who owns a pair of HD598/SE should bring them and compare the lot! Outside of Sennheiser inspecting their Chinese manufacturing facilities and doing random sampling, my suggestion is about the only way we will have a definitive answer.

beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #357 of 379
Well, I had a pair of the SE's and these were terrible. Absolutly zero bass. I just could not believe how bad they were. Bought a pair of 558's and they were waaay better all around. Much more bass. I will probably try a pair of ivory ones soon because these are tried and true for a long time. Maybe in the beginning production of the se's, their were some duds. Made for Amazon only. Different plant manufacturing? I believe everything Lazylistener is saying.

Well you are comparing hd 598 se and hd 558, of course there is a difference, but I suspect what youre saying could be true, check my french amazon price question.
The HD598 are a quagmire. I don't think there has been a more widely contested headphone here on Head-fi. When I reply to a thread or user, it's to agree, or put forth an alternative point of view. When I read someone's review and/or opinions for a headphone I have heard or own(ed) I am usually in agreement with 90-95% of what is said. However, when it comes to the HD598 it's just mind blowing to me how so many people are hearing the headphones in a way that I and others are not, hence why I always feel compelled to 'go to bat' for them. From what has been said that's contrary to what I hear, I can not attribute the disparity to "one's personal preference" or "everyone hears sound differently". Something just isn't right at all.

I think that next time there is a large local meet (like NY or SF), EVERYONE who owns a pair of HD598/SE should bring them and compare the lot! Outside of Sennheiser inspecting their Chinese manufacturing facilities and doing random sampling, my suggestion is about the only way we will have a definitive answer.

:beerchug:

I definitely agree. Also 'm 99% sure that its not about who can hear the differencs, I think that if there is a difference, there are units that are really different, maybe there is a cheaper batch floating around. Cause some people claiming theyre identical and some claiming theyre totally different just blows the whole "your ears are stupid" theory out of the water.

What i said earlier everyone percieves sound differently, but everyone should percieve differences about the same, unless were talking bitrates on cheap gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back