"Millett Hybrid" redux: NuHybrid headphone amp, using the Korg Nutube
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #481 of 507
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #482 of 507
hi, im new in DIY and looking for Sparkos op-amps to made this project. In their site they preconice to use their power suplies with their Panasonic EEU-FR1H101B 100uF 50V with their regulators:

https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-voltage-regulators-audio-power-supply/
https://sparkoslabs.com/product/dual-power-supply/

what do you think about that guys...?
Hello and welcome,

I am new to DIY as well and just finished this amp as my first project. It sounds nice to me and I don't have a lot of the microphonics that others talk about. Just the initial "ting".

Regarding the Sparkos Labs op-amps: They are a quality item! However, I seem to remember reading in this thread that the op-amps don't play a large role in the sound quality of this particular amplifier. Others with more knowledge than I can suggest what specific part played a larger role in better sound quality.

Also, when I was ordering my parts from Mouser there was one particular resistor that was backordered everywhere. I was able to procure them but shipping was expensive. I purchased a few extras; enough for 3 extra amps. I am willing to mail them for free in the US to those that need them. The part # is: MF1/4DC1001F KOA Speer Metal Film Resistor, 1000 Ohms 0.25W 500V.

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #483 of 507
Hello and welcome,

I am new to DIY as well and just finished this amp as my first project. It sounds nice to me and I don't have a lot of the microphonics that others talk about. Just the initial "ting".

Regarding the Sparkos Labs op-amps: They are a quality item! However, I seem to remember reading in this thread that the op-amps don't play a large role in the sound quality of this particular amplifier. Others with more knowledge than I can suggest what specific part played a larger role in better sound quality.

Also, when I was ordering my parts from Mouser there was one particular resistor that was backordered everywhere. I was able to procure them but shipping was expensive. I purchased a few extras; enough for 3 extra amps. I am willing to mail them for free in the US to those that need them. The part # is: MF1/4DC1001F KOA Speer Metal Film Resistor, 1000 Ohms 0.25W 500V.
im tying to deal with capacitors actually but there are so many choices, maybe someone could put here an actualized list with the best choices...

Jun 13, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #487 of 507
sorry for my very basic questions but I am not an expert in electronics. Why did you put only + 24v and not +24 and -24v in this assembly? that would have been better to remove ground noise no ...?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #489 of 507
Evening all, I have been busy over the last few months designing power supplies for headphone amp projects and this one may be of interest to some of you. It's called the Artemis PSU and it's a single rail power supply which can be configured for different output voltages by swapping out the voltage regulators. I have an early version of this board powering my NuHybrid and it's dead silent!

More info below:

https://www.audiosy.net/2021/03/17/first-look-artemis-single-rail-power-supply-rev-b/

Attachments

• Linear-Reg-PSU-Single_Artemis-B-1024x576.jpg
    Linear-Reg-PSU-Single_Artemis-B-1024x576.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Linear-Reg-PSU-Single_Artemis-A-1024x576.jpg
    Linear-Reg-PSU-Single_Artemis-A-1024x576.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Linear-Reg-PSU-Single_Artemis-Top-1024x576.jpg
    Linear-Reg-PSU-Single_Artemis-Top-1024x576.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • jlcSE95680BG940top-4480x3200-1-1024x479.png
    jlcSE95680BG940top-4480x3200-1-1024x479.png
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • Resizer_16167072992481-1024x768.jpg
    Resizer_16167072992481-1024x768.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200719_203043__01.jpg
    IMG_20200719_203043__01.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #490 of 507
Might be some dumb questions as I'm very new to electronics, but just wanted to make sure:
  1. Would the line out (acting as a preamp) contain the tube colored sound? Yes, as seen in the schematic, both the headphones and line out jacks are connected to the output of the nutube.
  2. Would the device be able to output sound to the headphone jack and the line out jack at the same time? Probably, since both hp and line out are always connected to each other. What probably happens is a lower volume output for each since the same signal is being shared.
My use case is that I want to use this device to color the sound and provide an easy static way to bridge my dac to both my headphones and my speakers - as I often switch between them.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #491 of 507
Hi Pete and all,

First, I would like to thank Pete for this awesome DIY design!
After reading the entire thread, and getting the PCB and tube from Pete, I am getting ready to order the components. In normal times, it is a challenge due to mod / upgrade desires but nowadays supply is an added challenge...
So, I have a couple BOM questions before placing my orders (Mouser AND DigiKey, since neither have all components):
1. 10uF caps: should I go for Nichicon FG (Fine Gold) 50V or Elma Silmic RFS 35V? Price difference is approx. 10 cents/cap, so price difference is NOT a factor.
2. C3 & C6 caps: I read couple posts recommending 1000uF instead of the "stock" 470uF for better bass response. So, in order to fit the PCB (due to case I am going to use, I cannot use parts under the PCB) - I can either use the Nichicon FG 470uF or Nichicon FW 1000uF. Opinions?
3. 0.1uF caps: BOM calls for WIMA but they're not available. Alternate part is by TDK. Any other recommendations, or the TDK sound good and I should not bother with changing those and stick with TDK?
4. K1 (PCB Low Signal Relays - PCB 24VDC NON-LATCH): both Mouser and DigiKey are out of stock for the recommended parts in the BOM. Any alternatives??
5. Q2 & Q3 (BJT NPN Transistor General Purpose): again, both are out of stock :frowning2: Any drop-in alternatives?
6. R17 & R18 (Through Hole Trimmer Resistors - 1.0Kohms 6mm SQ): same :frowning2: Any drop-in replacement alternatives?
7. OPA551PA vs. OPA134PA: someone posted a while ago that the latter is WAY better than the recommended opamp. Anyone else tried the OPA134PA in this amp?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, opinions and thoughts :)

Zachi.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #492 of 507
I suppose the next evolution of such a concept was the omni-directional drivers, like Ohm Walsh and those other ones that are like 500k lol. The latter ones actually have omni-directional drivers for highs, mids and even the sub. The drivers are spherical, very cool.

Hi Pete and all,

First, I would like to thank Pete for this awesome DIY design!
After reading the entire thread, and getting the PCB and tube from Pete, I am getting ready to order the components. In normal times, it is a challenge due to mod / upgrade desires but nowadays supply is an added challenge...
So, I have a couple BOM questions before placing my orders (Mouser AND DigiKey, since neither have all components):
1. 10uF caps: should I go for Nichicon FG (Fine Gold) 50V or Elma Silmic RFS 35V? Price difference is approx. 10 cents/cap, so price difference is NOT a factor.
2. C3 & C6 caps: I read couple posts recommending 1000uF instead of the "stock" 470uF for better bass response. So, in order to fit the PCB (due to case I am going to use, I cannot use parts under the PCB) - I can either use the Nichicon FG 470uF or Nichicon FW 1000uF. Opinions?
3. 0.1uF caps: BOM calls for WIMA but they're not available. Alternate part is by TDK. Any other recommendations, or the TDK sound good and I should not bother with changing those and stick with TDK?
4. K1 (PCB Low Signal Relays - PCB 24VDC NON-LATCH): both Mouser and DigiKey are out of stock for the recommended parts in the BOM. Any alternatives??
5. Q2 & Q3 (BJT NPN Transistor General Purpose): again, both are out of stock :frowning2: Any drop-in alternatives?
6. R17 & R18 (Through Hole Trimmer Resistors - 1.0Kohms 6mm SQ): same :frowning2: Any drop-in replacement alternatives?
7. OPA551PA vs. OPA134PA: someone posted a while ago that the latter is WAY better than the recommended opamp. Anyone else tried the OPA134PA in this amp?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, opinions and thoughts :)

Zachi.

1. For reliability I'd choose the Nichicon over the currently manufactured Elnas.
2. Can't comment regarding the bass change. FG is marketed as a higher quality audio capacitor by Nichicon, for whatever it's worth.
3. I wouldn't worry about this, they're both low-cost metalized polypropylene and any audible difference is probably dubious.
4.,5.,6. Mouser has a "search similar" feature with a checklist, so you pull up the part in Mouser and then check off the important stuff (like voltage, size, current, ratings, etc.) and see what is closest. Generally the little changes to the letters of a part are sometimes unimportant things (to us) like how they pack the parts for shipment. You can read the datasheet (it's a PDF in Mouser) and it will tell you what the letters mean so you can confirm. We can walk you through this if you post the parts numbers here that you need.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #493 of 507
Could someone please assist with off-PCB wiring for the volume pot?
1638904154802.png

Which pad goes to each of the pot pins:
  • Input Left
  • Input Right
  • Input Gnd
  • Output Left
  • Output Right
  • Output Gnd
I am in the final stages of wiring the audio signals to the off-PCB RCA inputs, volume pot and headphone jack. I believe I figured out the headphone jack and RCAs, and only got the volume pot left to be wired...

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #494 of 507
Might be some dumb questions as I'm very new to electronics, but just wanted to make sure:
  1. Would the line out (acting as a preamp) contain the tube colored sound? Yes, as seen in the schematic, both the headphones and line out jacks are connected to the output of the nutube.
  2. Would the device be able to output sound to the headphone jack and the line out jack at the same time? Probably, since both hp and line out are always connected to each other. What probably happens is a lower volume output for each since the same signal is being shared.
My use case is that I want to use this device to color the sound and provide an easy static way to bridge my dac to both my headphones and my speakers - as I often switch between them.
I believe the headphone jack in the BOM is a switched type, so it disconnects the line out when headphones are in. You'd need to change to an unswitched type to have both outputting at the same time.

Could someone please assist with off-PCB wiring for the volume pot?
1638904154802.png

Which pad goes to each of the pot pins:
  • Input Left
  • Input Right
  • Input Gnd
  • Output Left
  • Output Right
  • Output Gnd
I am in the final stages of wiring the audio signals to the off-PCB RCA inputs, volume pot and headphone jack. I believe I figured out the headphone jack and RCAs, and only got the volume pot left to be wired...

Thanks!

Did you get one of the recommended pots that fits the board? If so, just see where it fits up on board and connect the same points with wires off board.

If not, I'm going to take a crack at this.

I only have my NuHybrid and build pictures to look at and follow the traces, and the spec sheets I'm finding don't tell me the pinouts. Given how pots work though, I think it would be pretty hard to screw something up badly. Use this advice at your own risk.

The 6 holes in the middle are bridged by being next to each other, so each pair of those is the same connection.
Similarly, the upper 3 and lower 3 are bridged as pairs as well, so each upper and lower hole is the same connection.
The pots designed to go with this board are stacked per channel (L/R), so pick 1 set on your pot for the inner 6 holes and 1 set for the outer 6. Having them backward would switch your speakers at worst. The board is designed for using 2 different size pots, which is why there's 2 sets of holes.

I don't think pots care about direction, so as long as you get the grounding right, flipping in and out shouldn't change anything. You can check the grounding holes with a multimeter by checking a pot hole to another known ground hole.

The ones toward the inside of the board (left) are all grounds. They're all connected, so it doesn't matter which 2 holes you connect to the pot grounds. I connected my pot case to one of those holes too, so I'm pretty sure on them being grounds.
The ones in the middle are the outputs. You can see the traces on the bottom of the board go from the middle holes to C20 and C21. The inner pair goes to C20, so they're right, and the outer pair goes to C21,making them left.
The ones toward the outside of the board (right) are the inputs. You can see the traces on the top of the board coming from the line in. The inner pair is right, and the outer pair is left.

So for mapping, the holes in your picture go:

Input Left = 3
Input Right = 5
Input Gnd = 1
Output Left = 2
Output Right = 4
Output Gnd =1
I'm one of those guys who asked the same questions and spent way too much time choosing caps. I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference from the BOM caps, but it was fun to learn and make mine unique.

1. I went with Elna's simply for the marketing. I'm sure it's not practically different. I squeezed the fatter 50V ones in there, but it was rough. I bought a set of 35V just in case they didn't fit. Also, just to be different, I undermounted WIMA film caps for C13 and C14 since they were in the signal path, and 10uf films were available in a manageable size. It was really hard to mount them since the leads were so short, but I made it. That whole cluster was really a chore with the size changes I made.

2. I liked the look of the giant Elna caps on the board, so why not. I did have to buy a deeper case to undermount the film caps between them. In theory, a signal cap will pass lower frequencies if it has higher capacity. Capacitors block flow when they fill up, so having more capacitance will let a longer low frequency pass better. I don't think I actually ran the calc, and just went with 1000uF like a couple others. I'd stick with the audio marketed FG caps (or other audio caps) simply for the heck of it. I asked Pete about it when buying the PCB, and he doesn't believe there's a discernable difference between audio and power grade caps, and even that the power grade caps are better since they often have better specs on paper. I know their life ratings were often higher at least. He also told me something about how the signal technically back flows through all the caps and not just the signal path caps, but that was beyond me. On the capacitance, Pete said there would be no difference with my HD650s, but lower impedance like 32ohm headphones would get a slightly increase in bass response

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #495 of 507
So... yes, the post above looks correct. Saying that a different way:

The front row of 3 pins is connected to the rear row and is for the left channel, and the two middle rows are connected and are for the right channel. So you can use either the front/rear for left and either of the middle rows for right.

The leftmost holes are connected to ground, which is the CCW pin of the volume control.

The middle pins are the wiper of the pot, which is the input to the amplifier.

The right holes are connected to the input jacks, which goes to the CW terminal of the pot.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back