Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 26, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #5,116 of 5,150
This evening, I am thoroughly enjoying Liquid Platinum driving Grado GS3000x!
A989A366-5BD2-420F-9CFE-8D8236140BA0.jpeg
For some change, CD playback is by Oppo BDP-105D (with dual ESS 9018 Sabre DAC). Happily, the XLR output voltage is lower than that of my usual DAC - I can turn the LP volume knob further clockwise. Kudos also to RFT ECC82 'foil getter' tubes 🙂 !!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #5,119 of 5,150
I got one for $40 once but that price is nuts. Crazy good for really cheap money.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #5,124 of 5,150
The Spark arrived today, and what an amazingly good amp it is. It can power my cans louder than the A3, distortion is non-existent, and the A3 comes across as a little airier / laid back / not as full sounding. And I love how small it is, but to be fair, it has a chonky PSU. Great amp for someone with desk constraints.

As compared with the Liquid Platinum, I do get better channel separation with the LP, but they do share the same House Sound, and impactful presentation. So I dub thee Liquid Mini-Me! (the DT-1990 still benefit from the LP tube love)

EDIT: it can drive my DT-1990 250ohm with Elite Velours, tho I can max out the vol pot on High Gain and not blow out my ears doing so, but it is a little uncomfortable at that loudness. But I have to admit, this is probably the best sound I've gotten out of them.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #5,125 of 5,150
The Spark arrived today, and what an amazingly good amp it is. It can power my cans louder than the A3, distortion is non-existent, and the A3 comes across as a little airier / laid back / not as full sounding. And I love how small it is, but to be fair, it has a chonky PSU. Great amp for someone with desk constraints.

As compared with the Liquid Platinum, I do get better channel separation with the LP**, but they do share the same House Sound, and impactful presentation. So I dub thee Liquid Mini-Me! (the DT-1990 still benefit from the LP tube love)

EDIT: it can drive my DT-1990 250ohm with Elite Velours, tho I can max out the vol pot on High Gain and not blow out my ears doing so, but it is a little uncomfortable at that loudness. But I have to admit, this is probably the best sound I've gotten out of them.
** probably from being optimised for balanced / XLR use.

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #5,126 of 5,150
I've got a question about input sources to the LP - I recently sold mine and the fellow who bought it is driving it with an iPhone, I think using a typical lightning-1/8" adapter and a Y splitter, which I wouldn't think to be a very good source. Problem is, the LP stopped working after a couple hours. Is this because the iPhone isn't putting out enough voltage, or is a mismatch in some other way? I guess if it had phono inputs like some of the amps I've had back in the day it might work, but it's not working out the way he has it set up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #5,127 of 5,150
I've got a question about input sources to the LP - I recently sold mine and the fellow who bought it is driving it with an iPhone, I think using a typical lightning-1/8" adapter and a Y splitter, which I wouldn't think to be a very good source. Problem is, the LP stopped working after a couple hours. Is this because the iPhone isn't putting out enough voltage, or is a mismatch in some other way? I guess if it had phono inputs like some of the amps I've had back in the day it might work, but it's not working out the way he has it set up. Any ideas would be appreciated.
First, LP was designed to run in balanced mode - using XLR 'ins' (rear) and XLR 'out' (front). The SE headphone jack is offered for 'convenience' (as stated in LP manual). Also, everything needs to be plugged in before the LP power button is pushed. Taking out / replugging headphones from / in the SE socket while LP is on is usually problematic.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #5,128 of 5,150
First, LP was designed to run in balanced mode - using XLR 'ins' (rear) and XLR 'out' (front). The SE headphone jack is offered for 'convenience' (as stated in LP manual). Also, everything needs to be plugged in before the LP power button is pushed. Taking out / replugging headphones from / in the SE socket while LP is on is usually problematic.
Well that's how I always ran it, but it should work fine using the RCAs and SE jack, maybe just not as high an output or SQ. I'm just wondering if it's even possible to run the amp directly from a phone with a simple Apple dongle without more of a voltage source like an actual DAC.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #5,129 of 5,150
It has been a little while, so ....
IMG_7629.jpeg
Still going with the RFT ECC82 'foil getters' on Pulse Tube Store adapters. 👍

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #5,130 of 5,150
It has been a little while, so .... Still going with the RFT ECC82 'foil getters' on Pulse Tube Store adapters. 👍
Are these the Pulse Tube Store Adapters you’re using? I’d like to make sure before ordering!

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back