Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2,867 of 4,841
Based on this review and the following thread, I decided that the Hidition NT-6 Pro best suits my taste and have started the ordering process. However, I have a couple of concerns with the ordering process that I was hoping to get some advice:
  • Impressions: I have an appointment to get impressions made on Monday. Hidition's instructions for impressions were: "[size=10pt]When you make your ear impression, there's no need to open your  mouth if you are not singer. [/size][size=10pt]please  make comfortable pose like when you listen music  as usual . [/size][size=10pt]And  have to  make every part of ear shape properly . [/size][size=10pt]([/size][size=10pt]http://hidition.co.kr/process_a[/size][size=10pt])" There seems to be some debate on how to do this correctly with each manufacturer having different advice. I hope to avoid multiple refits back and forth between Korea and the US. Any thoughts?[/size]
  • [size=10pt]Customs/Tariffs/Fees: Ordering internationally makes me nervous having heard the reasons why Spiral Ear no longer ships outside of the EU. if I have to go back and forth for several refits and have to pay customs charges each time this could get really expensive. The free trade agreement between the US and S. Korea seems to have a lot of exceptions. Does anyone have experience ordering Korean goods from the US and have any advice on avoiding tariffs, fees, delays, or other issues?[/size]

May 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2,868 of 4,841
Quote:
Based on this review and the following thread, I decided that the Hidition NT-6 Pro best suits my taste and have started the ordering process. However, I have a couple of concerns with the ordering process that I was hoping to get some advice:
  • Impressions: I have an appointment to get impressions made on Monday. Hidition's instructions for impressions were: "[size=10pt]When you make your ear impression, there's no need to open your  mouth if you are not singer. [/size][size=10pt]please  make comfortable pose like when you listen music  as usual . [/size][size=10pt]And  have to  make every part of ear shape properly . [/size][size=10pt]([/size][size=10pt]http://hidition.co.kr/process_a[/size][size=10pt])" There seems to be some debate on how to do this correctly with each manufacturer having different advice. I hope to avoid multiple refits back and forth between Korea and the US. Any thoughts?[/size]
  • [size=10pt]Customs/Tariffs/Fees: Ordering internationally makes me nervous having heard the reasons why Spiral Ear no longer ships outside of the EU. if I have to go back and forth for several refits and have to pay customs charges each time this could get really expensive. The free trade agreement between the US and S. Korea seems to have a lot of exceptions. Does anyone have experience ordering Korean goods from the US and have any advice on avoiding tariffs, feeI As, delays, or other issues?[/size]

I also decided to go for NT6 since i have UM Miracle, which is really really good at Classical. So i guess NT6 might be better at the rest generics. 
I emailed Hidition few days ago, but they never replied. How do you contact with them, Average Joe? 

May 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,869 of 4,841
Quote:
I also decided to go for NT6 since i have UM Miracle, which is really really good at Classical. So i guess NT6 might be better at the rest generics. 
I emailed Hidition few days ago, but they never replied. How do you contact with them, Average Joe? 

My first email to Hidition took a week for them to respond - they said they were working a Korean expo. Since then it has been ranging from overnight to a few days. So they are reasonably responsive and provide reasonably good answers to our questions even with English being an issue. They seem to respond to their help@hidition.co.kr email.

May 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2,870 of 4,841
Quote:
You made me interested in SA-43, def. will read your review about them. Right now, I am suffering extremely from my full sized headphones (German Maestro GMP 8.35D with Oval Pads). Price/Performance one of the best deal I believe, but it is not very useful to put them on with buses, trains etc with these pads. Pads are extremely comfortable, makes the sound more transparant and clear. I do like it but it is no good for outdoor use.

So for on to go, I am looking for extreme isolation. I must say it is really hard to choose. You have been incredibly helpful. I think I will be in between Spiral Ears, Westone and M-Fidelity (Starkey?). Also the sound has huge importance too. On isolationwise I think all of these options will provide the isolation I need.

Looking forward to read more about SE 3 Way Pro (fingers crossed for these little diamonds, I hope they have the technical advances of 5 way but sounds more analytical without losing it is magic).

The SA-43 and SE5 do sound different, the SE5 is more resolving and capable, and with the deeper fit isolates better overall.  I am not saying not to get the SA-43 as every time I listen to it, I am impressed with the spacious presentation that is more headphone like, but the SE5 is so involving.  I think any of the three will be a HUGE jump from the GMP.

Quote:
I wasn't sure if the frequency response charts would really mean anything on their own with so many other factors that contribute to sound quality, but I figured it would give you an idea of what I was after 
size]

I know you're right about probably loving every one of your recommendations, it's just we always want to get things right on the first try.  Especially something like customs. Thanks for all your help, I'll make a decision in the next few weeks and I'll post some impressions whenever I finally have my own pair of customs in my hands.
Keep up the amazing work. It's threads like this that keep me entertained every day on head-fi.  
size]

Thanks, and let me know if you have any more questions for me. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
hmmmmmmmm, really hard to pick either of them. NT6 or NT6Pro.
Generally speaking, when two CIEMs or IEMs sound really similar, i will pick up the little more expensive one.
But in this case, oh my god

NT-6 = neutral, colder, and more analytical
NT-6 pro = more exciting and liquid with a more 3D presentation

The NT-6 takes a nice step up with the Whiplash Hybrid V3 cable, becoming more liquid and 3D while retaining the more neutral presentation.

Quote:
UM Miracle.

Treble doesn't have the ultimate level of organic realism, but in almost all other respects, it matches your list of desires rather well (source - personal experience of UM Miracle, driven with iBasso DX100).

I hadn't thought of that since I only have the PP6, which is about double the price.  But from what I understand, the sound signature is similar between the two and I think it does offer a fit.  The 8.A is more mid-forward and richer than the PP6 and I have other comparisons in my PP6 review.  I believe the PP6 is more spacious and detailed/resolving than the Miracle, but by how much I can't say.

Quote:
One other point to add is that (IMO) the Miracle is absolutely devastatingly good with Soundtracks (OSTs). Bladerunner, Gladiator, etc. have a fabulous sense of scale through the Miracles. 

Damn.... I really need to get my finances back on-track so I can replace the Miracles I had to sell!
rolleyes.gif

There are a lot of crazy good flavors available 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
  • [size=10pt]Customs/Tariffs/Fees: Ordering internationally makes me nervous having heard the reasons why Spiral Ear no longer ships outside of the EU. if I have to go back and forth for several refits and have to pay customs charges each time this could get really expensive. The free trade agreement between the US and S. Korea seems to have a lot of exceptions. Does anyone have experience ordering Korean goods from the US and have any advice on avoiding tariffs, fees, delays, or other issues?[/size]

1. I would go with the manufacturers recommendations.  The tech usually makes impressions compensating for how they request they are made.  I know mine were tight and I had them refit, but that was a while ago when they had a different tech.  Plus, mine were taken with a bite block.

2. The shipping method matters, as EMS is usually better than FedEx/UPS.  It really depends on the classification and dollar amount on the customs form in addition to the shipping method, and it isn't easy for the laymen to decipher the info, at least IMO.  If anyone can clear this up, I would appreciate it.

Quote:

Quote:
My first email to Hidition took a week for them to respond - they said they were working a Korean expo. Since then it has been ranging from overnight to a few days. So they are reasonably responsive and provide reasonably good answers to our questions even with English being an issue. They seem to respond to their help@hidition.co.kr email.

My emails with them have always been sporadic and my most recent email was replied to (earlier this year) in about a week. 

May 18, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,871 of 4,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UM Miracle.

Treble doesn't have the ultimate level of organic realism, but in almost all other respects, it matches your list of desires rather well (source - personal experience of UM Miracle, driven with iBasso DX100).

+1 except that the Miracle does not have warm mids...

UM Miracle has always been on my radar, but I never realized that would be a good fit for me personally. Also, in the ToTL comparison over at IF, Joker made it seem like the JH13 FP beats the Miracle at it's own game. Then again, if it isn't a huge difference, it might not be worth the extra $.  Thanks for the heads up though guys, I'll do some more research 
size]

May 18, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #2,872 of 4,841
Quote:
I think the JH16 would fit the bill nicely.

Well I've definitely looked into them, but I always figured their soundstage suffered from the extra bass presence. There's only a few bass heavy ciems, like the UM Merlin, that contradict that AFAIK. Maybe the Freqphase helps in that regard. I'd be all over the JH16 if I was sure the soundstaging and imaging capabilities weren't being overshadowed by the powerful bass. Thanks for the heads up!

May 18, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2,873 of 4,841
Quote:

1. I think closed mouth will be fine, I had two NT6 from hidition with closed mouth impressions, they all fit very very good but fairly tight. So I think open mouth will make it tighter or even uncomfortable. They do have a different scanning process, since I wanted to ship my end-cut impressions to them and they replied they can't accept it, so I assume they don't put the impressions in a sort of molten acrylic liquid? 
2. I think you will have to deal with the Tax for the first time. The tax for mine was like 200 pound (so 30%?) They will use EMS, but you can require them to ship with Fedex which is A LOT quicker, but more expensive. But once you deal with refit or other issues, just tell them, they will ship in a different way(i think since I didn't get any tax).

May 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,874 of 4,841
Quote:

The SA-43 and SE5 do sound different, the SE5 is more resolving and capable, and with the deeper fit isolates better overall.  I am not saying not to get the SA-43 as every time I listen to it, I am impressed with the spacious presentation that is more headphone like, but the SE5 is so involving.  I think any of the three will be a HUGE jump from the GMP.

I am sure they will be huge jump 
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also send a PM to you since I don't want to fill the tread with my questions and concerns since the other users wouldn't want to read them I guess. I am really impressed how helpful you are, I wish I could do something for you too but I doubt there is something I can actually help. 
tongue.gif

Once again thank you so much Joe.

May 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,875 of 4,841
Quote:

UM Miracle has always been on my radar, but I never realized that would be a good fit for me personally. Also, in the ToTL comparison over at IF, Joker made it seem like the JH13 FP beats the Miracle at it's own game. Then again, if it isn't a huge difference, it might not be worth the extra $.  Thanks for the heads up though guys, I'll do some more research 
size]

Having heard both, though not concurrently, I'd say they are still different enough to appeal to different users. JH13FP has more bass presence and kick, which for some people will be unwelcome. Not that Miracle is bass light per se but it's just got a more ethereal presentation if that makes sense. 

May 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2,876 of 4,841
Take my words back, i will go for NT6Pro, since Average Joe said it's more exciting with the soundstage formed in front of you. :)
And do you hear any other CIEMs with the out-of-the-head soundstage? It's quite rare, i think. The only one heard is EX1000, which is IEM and too harsh for me to keep listening with it for several hours.

May 19, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,877 of 4,841
Quote:

Having heard both, though not concurrently, I'd say they are still different enough to appeal to different users. JH13FP has more bass presence and kick, which for some people will be unwelcome. Not that Miracle is bass light per se but it's just got a more ethereal presentation if that makes sense. 

Good to know. And I think I understand where you're coming from with the ethereal description.

Just out of curiosity though, which do you prefer soundstage/imaging wise? How about bass depth? I know JH13 has more bass, but can it reach 20 Hz? (Yes, luckily I can still hear that low)

Thanks!

May 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2,878 of 4,841
I had the opportunity to listen to the Canal Works demos in Hong Kong just yesterday. Their flagship 6 drivers didn't attract me. Thought they sounded slightly like the UE18s, and had average clarity (or even a bit blurred), but a laid back sound with organic highs and soft cushioning lows that were not overpowering. Didn't get to change the resistors.

The 4 full range drivers custom, which is another one of their flagship, just blew me away. Shocking clarity and sound stage with precise imaging. Details were already amazing, even on a demo. The vocals were more forward than the IERM however, and I feel it can sometimes be too attention grabbing. The bass will not suit everyone, and I think it is a good quantity, but I know that many would feel that it lacks bass. Feels like a ER4 on steroids honestly.

Also, for reference, I only listened to them on the demos on my Sony A844, which is tuned with a boost in vocals. 

May 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,879 of 4,841
Quote:

Good to know. And I think I understand where you're coming from with the ethereal description.

Just out of curiosity though, which do you prefer soundstage/imaging wise? How about bass depth? I know JH13 has more bass, but can it reach 20 Hz? (Yes, luckily I can still hear that low)

Thanks!

Hard to say about imaging and soundstage, without having both of them here to directly compare. Both are very good in that area. Bass depth goes to the JH13, though Miracle is certainly no slouch either. Very satisfying either way. 

Quote:
I had the opportunity to listen to the Canal Works demos in Hong Kong just yesterday. Their flagship 6 drivers didn't attract me. Thought they sounded slightly like the UE18s, and had average clarity (or even a bit blurred), but a laid back sound with organic highs and soft cushioning lows that were not overpowering. Didn't get to change the resistors.

The 4 full range drivers custom, which is another one of their flagship, just blew me away. Shocking clarity and sound stage with precise imaging. Details were already amazing, even on a demo. The vocals were more forward than the IERM however, and I feel it can sometimes be too attention grabbing. The bass will not suit everyone, and I think it is a good quantity, but I know that many would feel that it lacks bass. Feels like a ER4 on steroids honestly.

Also, for reference, I only listened to them on the demos on my Sony A844, which is tuned with a boost in vocals. 

Thanks for that! I really like it when companies go out on a limb and produce sounds which they enjoy, even if it means not catering to the majority of users. To be honest, we already have so many CIEM brands out there doing similar things. It's nice to hear about someone who goes in their own direction. Hit or miss, at least they bring something new to the table. 

I also like it when a company can manage two very different sounding speakers/headphones/IEMs. Having a "house sound" is great but so is variety. 

May 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,880 of 4,841
Quote:

Well I've definitely looked into them, but I always figured their soundstage suffered from the extra bass presence. There's only a few bass heavy ciems, like the UM Merlin, that contradict that AFAIK. Maybe the Freqphase helps in that regard. I'd be all over the JH16 if I was sure the soundstaging and imaging capabilities weren't being overshadowed by the powerful bass. Thanks for the heads up!

I am not sure I have noticed a correlation between soundstage "suffering" and extra bass presence.  

Quote:

Less bass from the Miracle than the JH13FP?  I wonder how much bass the JH16FP has.

Quote:
Take my words back, i will go for NT6Pro, since Average Joe said it's more exciting with the soundstage formed in front of you. :)
And do you hear any other CIEMs with the out-of-the-head soundstage? It's quite rare, i think. The only one heard is EX1000, which is IEM and too harsh for me to keep listening with it for several hours.

The NT-6 is more mid-forward and the presentation is reminiscent of the CK10 for me...very detailed and immediate, just like being right in front of the performance and focusing on everything.  The NT-6 pro is a bit more of a typical presentation and has more depth and space as if you were a bit further back.

The EX1000 is just different.  The PP6 and SA-43 are as spacious, but the EX1000 reminds me of headphones due to the across the head soundstage coherence, which isn't as good as CIEMs.  Also, with your last statement of the EX1000 being too harsh, that makes me want to steer you to the Rooth product lineup which is smoother and more liquid than the Hidition products. 

Quote:

Thanks for sharing.  Some of the products look very nice, and 4 driver CIEMs can perform quite well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back