Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 5, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,956 of 4,841
Quote:
AJ (and anyone else who'd like to throw their two bob in
biggrin.gif
),

A question about the Serene Innovations hearing aid dryer, if I may ?

I noticed this device uses UV light to 'sanitise' whatever you put in it. Given 1964 obviously uses some kind of UV or laser based printing method (I presume ?) to get artwork on their face plates, I was wondering if the UV light in the dryer might mess up the artwork over time ?

I'm about to get one of these but have had this very slight nagging doubt in the back of my mind I'd like to set straight before I pull the trigger
wink.gif

TIA

I have heard that UV light makes the shell go yellow and even mess up some BA drivers?... Although I don't know why this can happen. We got UV light like every day.LOL

Just don't use that function I guess. I never did.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #2,957 of 4,841
Thanks for the replies Piotrus & Tupac :wink: Mine are solid black, and the FAQ on Serene's website said the wavelength of the UV light the device produces shouldn't damage/discolour devices you put in it. So it should probably be OK.

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,958 of 4,841
I have a question guys, esp. for the ones who has a silicone shell ciem.

How would you compare the isolation to Shure iem's with their most isolating tips?

Also generally, how Shure iems compare against customs (any kind of customs not just silicone shell) as long as isolation concerned?

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,959 of 4,841
Quote:

How would you compare the isolation to Shure iem's with their most isolating tips?

Also generally, how Shure iems compare against customs (any kind of customs not just silicone shell) as long as isolation concerned?

Shure 535 to me is lighter and smaller than any of my CIEMs. Although it's doesn't put lots of weight on your ears, CIEMs just isolate so much better (specially silicone ones), and fit much better too.

So as long as you have great fit with your CIEM, no universal can beat it in terms of isolation and fitting which is pretty obvious 
etysmile.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,960 of 4,841
Quote:
Shure 535 to me is lighter and smaller than any of my CIEMs. Although it's doesn't put lots of weight on your ears, CIEMs just isolate so much better (specially silicone ones), and fit much better too.

So as long as you have great fit with your CIEM, no universal can beat it in terms of isolation and fitting which is pretty obvious 
etysmile.gif

I was tempted with new Shure flagship but I guess I will stay on SE 5 way Reference 
wink.gif
 Thanks for the answer mate.

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,961 of 4,841
Quote:
Exactly. I don't think 1+2 CIEM will sound as good as universal. 

Thanks joe. Yeah. I Twag V2 hybrid and it already took the presentation to the more musical and warmer side. I am sure V3 will do it to a larger extent. 

I will probably try Fitear private C435 first, because I heard it sounds a lot like SE5 with a slight brighter presentation

I might have to send my 1+2 to you later some point for you to listen/or review. It's really something truly special! Trumps over lots of my CIEMs.

Thank you for reading man. It takes me about 1 second? or 2.. to put in or take out SE5. It was very hard to put in initially, but when it's being used, it become so easy because the silicone will be a lot smoother to work with.
Thank you:)

Hmmm...the universal version sounds better than than a customized version?  Bizarro world!  I do want to hear the 1+2 at some point in time...

Ther Fit ear C435 does sound intriguing, as does their entire lineup.

Quote:
AJ (and anyone else who'd like to throw their two bob in
biggrin.gif
),

A question about the Serene Innovations hearing aid dryer, if I may ?

I noticed this device uses UV light to 'sanitise' whatever you put in it. Given 1964 obviously uses some kind of UV or laser based printing method (I presume ?) to get artwork on their face plates, I was wondering if the UV light in the dryer might mess up the artwork over time ?

I'm about to get one of these but have had this very slight nagging doubt in the back of my mind I'd like to set straight before I pull the trigger
wink.gif

TIA

piotrus and Tupac already answered, but yes, I use it without the UV light.

Quote:

Beat to the answer again...I agree, even with foam tips the Shure IEMs I have heard don't isolate as well as acrylic shelled CIEMs, let along silicone.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #2,963 of 4,841
Quote:

Hmmm...the universal version sounds better than than a customized version?  Bizarro world!

My customized IEM sound better then my universals but I believe that is due to that my CIEM are more lavish, not that they are Customized per se. It can be harder to fit a advanced system in a universal version though and you might not be able to get a "musicians fit (long canals)" .But if you can get a good seal with a universal it should be able to sound as good as it would if it would be a CIEM with the same sound system, right?

I think I can get really good seal with my Shure 535, the problem is that takes much longer time to get that prefect fit/seal with a universal. It can take me almost half minute to find that perfect fit, while with my Customs I get there in a second. So I don't understand some comments here that they use universals when they need to be able to put the IEM out and in quickly and often. I Think that's what customs are for? I might not be faster then Joe to put my 5-way in (1 sec) but I believe I beat him on the removal as I can do that in less than 2 sec :wink: Just unscrew them.

And universals is not as comfortable!

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,964 of 4,841
Quote:

My customized IEM sound better then my universals but I believe that is due to that my CIEM are more lavish, not that they are Customized per se. It can be harder to fit a advanced system in a universal version though and you might not be able to get a "musicians fit (long canals)" .But if you can get a good seal with a universal it should be able to sound as good as it would if it would be a CIEM with the same sound system, right?

I think I can get really good seal with my Shure 535, the problem is that takes much longer time to get that prefect fit/seal with a universal. It can take me almost half minute to find that perfect fit, while with my Customs I get there in a second. So I don't understand some comments here that they use universals when they need to be able to put the IEM out and in quickly and often. I Think that's what customs are for? I might not be faster then Joe to put my 5-way in (1 sec) but I believe I beat him on the removal as I can do that in less than 2 sec :wink: Just unscrew them.

And universals is not as comfortable!

My experience comparing universal fit vs. customized versions is based off the TF10 (I have one of each), the Rooth LS8 (I borrowed a demo), and the UE PRM (tuning set vs. customized set).  In all three cases, the ones customized for my ears sound better as far as micro-detail, soundstage space, instrument separation, bass, and some other factors as well.  What causes the difference?  More contact area of the shell with my ear canal, a better nozzle angle, fewer material changes before the sound exits into the ear canal (the internal material of an IEM is not the same as the universal ear tip), and/or sound tuned for the specific shell configuration?  Whatever the reason, there is a difference to my ears.

I can probably take the SE5 out in a second, but I was trying to be conservative :wink:  I think grabbing it the right way is important and when I haven't used them in a while I have to remember to grab the shell, not twist by the cable.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,965 of 4,841
Quote:

My experience comparing universal fit vs. customized versions is based off the TF10 (I have one of each), the Rooth LS8 (I borrowed a demo), and the UE PRM (tuning set vs. customized set).  In all three cases, the ones customized for my ears sound better as far as micro-detail, soundstage space, instrument separation, bass, and some other factors as well.  What causes the difference?  More contact area of the shell with my ear canal, a better nozzle angle, fewer material changes before the sound exits into the ear canal (the internal material of an IEM is not the same as the universal ear tip), and/or sound tuned for the specific shell configuration?  Whatever the reason, there is a difference to my ears.

I can probably take the SE5 out in a second, but I was trying to be conservative :wink:  I think grabbing it the right way is important and when I haven't used them in a while I have to remember to grab the shell, not twist by the cable.

The universal version of the Tralucent 1+2 sounds better because it has no sound tubes that the custom version must have.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,966 of 4,841
My experience is limited to having the custom and universal versions of the UM Merlin at the same time, as well as the Heir 4.A and 4.Ai variations. In both cases my experience echoes Joe's comment above. The Merlin was truly a night and day difference, to the point where I didn't care for the universal at all. The 4.Ai is enjoyable but nowhere near on the level of the real custom version. My theory is that size is a huge factor, but of course there are other factors.

As for inserting and removing - I can usually get customs in faster than universals. I can slam a universal in, but there's a lot of minor tweaking usually required. Customs need nothing. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,968 of 4,841
I've already got putting my V3's in/taking them out down to a fine art; can do either in about 10 seconds flat, whereas, say, with the B2's with Complys it would take me maybe 30-45 seconds to get that perfect fit.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #2,969 of 4,841
I can insert all my CIEMs or universal in 5 seconds, on both ears. 1+2 is the most comfortable universal I have tried so far. They are so light and totally disappear when inserted. But they don't seal much at all.

I can take them off in 2 seconds, for se 5 way, probably five because I can't pull the cable
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back