Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 26, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #2,926 of 4,841
Quote:
Oh! NT6PRO has a 45 ohms impedance. 
Maybe it will work well with AK100?

AK100 can work with the headphones over 170 impedance approximately. The DAP has a 22 ohm OI and if you do the 1/8 rule, apart from a few Ety iems and Tzar series (esp. 350) nothing can work with it correctly, you will see/hear the effects of OI impedance the phone does't sound like it is supposed to.

AK120 seems better with it 3/5 ohm OI but still not ideal for iem/ciem world. The best is less than 1 ohm of course like DX100.

May 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,928 of 4,841
Quote:
But you guys do know that there are some drivers that performs worse with lower impedance source?

Do you mean on a technical level? As in, some drivers which anticipate the old IEC 61938 standard of 120 ohm output impedance, and thus perform accordingly better when driven that way? Or do you simply mean some people prefer HD800 (for example) with higher output impedance as it seems to fatten up the lows a bit?

May 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,929 of 4,841
Quote:

Do you mean on a technical level? As in, some drivers which anticipate the old IEC 61938 standard of 120 ohm output impedance, and thus perform accordingly better when driven that way? Or do you simply mean some people prefer HD800 (for example) with higher output impedance as it seems to fatten up the lows a bit?

I mean that there are some receivers dedicated for being used with voltage source (high impedance) and lower impedance source (current) will result in opposite effect to typically observed.
Some of drivers like 33A007 don't really benefit from either high or low impedance.

May 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,930 of 4,841
Quote:
I mean that there are some receivers dedicated for being used with voltage source (high impedance) and lower impedance source (current) will result in opposite effect to typically observed.
Some of drivers like 33A007 don't really benefit from either high or low impedance.

Fascinating. Do you happen to have any measurements or other examples of one of these models? I'd be curious to see their behavior when driven from a source of each type.

May 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,932 of 4,841
Quote:
Here for IEMs http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1389

I've seen that before. The way it reads, they are just measuring a "change" to the sound. We don't have any way of knowing which measurement is the intended result of the designer.

I actually wouldn't mind if a designer came out and said "we recommend these for amps with output impedance of 100-200 ohms" or something like that. It would be helpful to the consumer. Absent that, we kind of just assume they all design around the assumption of a low output impedance.

May 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,933 of 4,841
Quote:

I've seen that before. The way it reads, they are just measuring a "change" to the sound. We don't have any way of knowing which measurement is the intended result of the designer.

I actually wouldn't mind if a designer came out and said "we recommend these for amps with output impedance of 100-200 ohms" or something like that. It would be helpful to the consumer. Absent that, we kind of just assume they all design around the assumption of a low output impedance.

Now AK100 can be AK120.
:)

May 31, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,935 of 4,841

Haven't posted new picture here for a long time:wink: Here it goes my JH13 FP.
biggrin.gif
 They have typical JH sound like my jH16. But they are better in almost every way. I would say 20% better. And best fitting ever。

I will do a comparison between NT6, SE5, 1+2 and jh13 shortly. So you can gather that information joe. ;p

May 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #2,937 of 4,841
Quote:

Haven't posted new picture here for a long time:wink: Here it goes my JH13 FP.
biggrin.gif
 They have typical JH sound like my jH16. But they are much better! Much much better~ And best fitting ever

Hey Tupac,

Could you name those iem/ciems in your photo? I see 2 SE ciems, one of them is 5 way ref but the other one? I am curious about your collection honestly 
happy_face1.gif
 Also, additional question, what is the best pairing you get with 5 way reference? Which DAP or DAP + AMP you can suggest?

May 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #2,938 of 4,841
Quote:
Hey Tupac,

Could you name those iem/ciems in your photo? I see 2 SE ciems, one of them is 5 way ref but the other one? I am curious about your collection honestly 
happy_face1.gif
 Also, additional question, what is the best pairing you get with 5 way reference? Which DAP or DAP + AMP you can suggest?

Hey, well some of them are not exciting :wink: Top: JH13, 1+2 (universal), JH16, se 2 way (it was changed from another SE5 and then SE3 way pro). Bottom: NT6, se5 way, NT6 (i know lol), EM6 PRO. (8.a is gone)

The best source for SE5 I have heard is Anedio D2 (high gain), best portable source without amp is DX100.  DX100 + 627 steps up a bit more close to D2. Same for 901, ak120. 627 just have a extreme natural presentation that can make most of the source neutral.

May 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #2,939 of 4,841
Quote:
Hey, well some of them are not exciting :wink: Top: JH13, 1+2 (universal), JH16, se 2 way (it was changed from another SE5 and then SE3 way pro). Bottom: NT6, se5 way, NT6 (i know lol), EM6 PRO. (8.a is gone)

The best source for SE5 I have heard is Anedio D2 (high gain), best portable source without amp is DX100.  DX100 + 627 steps up a bit more close to D2. Same for 901, ak120. 627 just have a extreme natural presentation that can make most of the source neutral.

So you heard 3 way pro? Oh god finally someone, what can you tell me about that? I am really curious about that ciem. Does it have the technical miracles of 5 way? I know they have different signatures but you got what I mean.

EM6 Pro? This is Earsonics EM6 right but what is the pro comes from? I think I am missing something here 
confused.gif

Great collection btw, you are really helping to newbies like me 
happy_face1.gif

May 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2,940 of 4,841
Quote:
So you heard 3 way pro? Oh god finally someone, what can you tell me about that? I am really curious about that ciem. Does it have the technical miracles of 5 way? I know they have different signatures but you got what I mean.

EM6 Pro? This is Earsonics EM6 right but what is the pro comes from? I think I am missing something here 
confused.gif

Great collection btw, you are really helping to newbies like me 
happy_face1.gif

Thanks man :) Yes I have heard of it and I have posted about the 3 way pro here and in SE5 thread. For me, it doesn't do the magic at all. I have never heard of 3 way reference, and judging from the impressions people have, my 3 way pro just sounded like 3 way reference (And mine WAS 3 way PRO). It's very warm, rolled off treble which leads to very forward mid presentation and somewhat bloated, slow decaying bass. It doesn't sound anything like SE5 at all (SE5 is still my best sounding CIEM, so I am just being honest here). It didn't sound good to my ears. Grzegorz confirmed to me that the 3 way pro was defective, so I couldn't stand the sound and changed it 2 way and now they are sitting in my draw lol.

Yeah EM6 pro is earsonics. I don't know why it's called pro. Earsonics have almost all their products named "pro". EM6 has more headroom than EM4 says on their website. It has a lush and organic sounding with massive bass power and great treble extension. The soundstage to my ears has more depth than width. It's detailed and airy, but still on the warm side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back