Musician Taurus R2R DAC
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jonathan c

Headphoneus Supremus
After a few hours of CD replay to warm up the gear .... some casual, some focused listening via Musician Taurus ....
C76D750A-61C7-4295-A66A-666508725009.jpeg
So natural! .... music 'blossoms' - occupies space in realistic fashion. Onset and decay of notes, of chords are convincing - as is the dynamic range, impact. Male / female vocal duets (e.g. Teddy Pendergrass / Stephanie Mills) are sublime. 😘

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 24
I have no experience with Gustard R26. My other DAC is Mojo Audio Mystique (pro). My prior DAC was Border Patrol SE. [Both are R2R non-oversampling. BPSE has tube rectification in power supply section.]

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 24
To @proMC, some reasons why Musician Taurus is the DAC in my system:
• Absence of etch, glare, glassiness in midrange through upper treble;
• Pure, natural rendition of harmonics / overtones on individual / mass stringed instruments;
• Excellence in rendition of female & male vocals - the proper mix of diction, projection, throatiness;
• Clear, complete recovery & rendition of ambience / reverberation - if present in a recording;
• Soundstaging is convincing: air between instruments / voices is clear, inert, not energised. This gives instruments / voices natural-sounding definition, heft, and impact.
Ease of switching listening 'modes': focus on individual instruments, voices - or bask in the sonic totality;
• In sum, the sound from the Musician Taurus conversion of digital to analogue is organic, is life-like.
• I make no comparative comments vis-a-vis other DACs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 24
To @proMC, some reasons why Musician Taurus is the DAC in my system:
• Absence of etch, glare, glassiness in midrange through upper treble;
• Pure, natural rendition of harmonics / overtones on individual / mass stringed instruments;
• Excellence in rendition of female & male vocals - the proper mix of diction, projection, throatiness;
• Clear, complete recovery & rendition of ambience / reverberation - if present in a recording;
• Soundstaging is convincing: air between instruments / voices is clear, inert, not energised. This gives instruments / voices natural-sounding definition, heft, and impact.
Ease of switching listening 'modes': focus on individual instruments, voices - or bask in the sonic totality;
• In sum, the sound from the Musician Taurus conversion of digital to analogue is organic, is life-like.
• I make no comparative comments vis-a-vis other DACs. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Jonathan, has the Taurus supplanted the Mojo in your main system?

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 24
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 24
How does the treble sound? I heard it’s smooth, never fatiguing.. but does the leading edge of the transients leave something to be desired? Like is it too smooth?
Leading edge is fine ... it sounds complete, without 'etch', glare ... snare drums, high-hats, cymbals all have life-like onset ... if recorded properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back