Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp Impression Thread
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #136 of 207
You certainly moved that along quickly. Did you not care for it?
I can use two channels now. This having less time on headphones. Only keeping my FV for occasional use and letting all other stuff go :)

Let me know if you are interested. My like new thx aaa is still available and selling cheap.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #137 of 207
I can use two channels now. This having less time on headphones. Only keeping my FV for occasional use and letting all other stuff go :)

Let me know if you are interested. My like new thx aaa is still available and selling cheap.
Do you have channel imbalance?

I have to say that the customer service and QC has probably put me off this amp.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #141 of 207
Same here. I already exchanged it but the problem is still there. Horrible.

Are you sending it back? What are you thinking about instead?
Exchanging it for another one since this amp is perfect for me mostly. If I get another bad one Violectric V550 is plan B. It would be a shame though. The Mytek sounds great, is the right size and has everything I need.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #142 of 207
The next closest amp I would recommend would be the Violectric V280, which in some markets is end of line but in others still being sold as "Final Edition". I don't know how the replacement V222 compares to it.

With pretty much all Violectrics you will lose some sub-20Hz response that THX AAA's have and gain a bit of distortion. But they're close enough and you'll only ever notice the difference if A-B-ing. Plus Violectric gear will last a lifetime.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #143 of 207
The next closest amp I would recommend would be the Violectric V280, which in some markets is end of line but in others still being sold as "Final Edition". I don't know how the replacement V222 compares to it.

With pretty much all Violectrics you will lose some sub-20Hz response that THX AAA's have and gain a bit of distortion. But they're close enough and you'll only ever notice the difference if A-B-ing. Plus Violectric gear will last a lifetime.
The V222 is a direct replacement for the V280. The V222 wasnt for me sound wise. Missing a lot of air at the top. Otherwise it was fine. I burned it in 200 hours hoping that the sound would open up more but it wasn’t to be. Sold it on. My understanding is that the Violectrics are closer to neutral the further up the chain you go. My little Neve amp has been very hard to replace, soundwise. The Mytek is EASILY the closest I’ve come and if I could just find a good one…so it goes.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #144 of 207
If you need THX AAA-888 goodness then I would also recommend the SMSL SP400. It has less power and build quality compared to Mytek or Violectric but otherwise is great for the price point. It looks like there really aren't many alternatives that aren't major downgrades or majorly expensive. For anyone considering Benchmark HPA4 as an upgrade from Mytek I just say don't do it; noticeably less powerful than the Mytek. I am enjoying the Benchmark AHB2 though.

Random idea: Has anyone considered some kind of dual mono with a pair of Myteks? Could it work at all?

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #145 of 207
If you need THX AAA-888 goodness then I would also recommend the SMSL SP400. It has less power and build quality compared to Mytek or Violectric but otherwise is great for the price point. It looks like there really aren't many alternatives that aren't major downgrades or majorly expensive. For anyone considering Benchmark HPA4 as an upgrade from Mytek I just say don't do it; noticeably less powerful than the Mytek. I am enjoying the Benchmark AHB2 though.

Random idea: Has anyone considered some kind of dual mono with a pair of Myteks? Could it work at all?
Honestly I'm not really sure the THX part has as much to do with the sound of the amp as people think.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #146 of 207
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help I’ve gotten from the members on this thread. The Mytek is on the way back to the retailer for a refund and after a lot of thought I decided to move on to another amp, the violectric v550, rather than try another Mytek. I went into the purchase of the Mytek with my eyes fully open, having read through this thread a couple of times. I think it’s just a shame that Mytek treats its customers this way and this has played a very large role in my decision to go to another amp. Otherwise it’s a great little amp and it deserves a better fate than its current predicament. Thank you all for your help.

Mar 22, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #147 of 207
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help I’ve gotten from the members on this thread. The Mytek is on the way back to the retailer for a refund and after a lot of thought I decided to move on to another amp, the violectric v550, rather than try another Mytek. I went into the purchase of the Mytek with my eyes fully open, having read through this thread a couple of times. I think it’s just a shame that Mytek treats its customers this way and this has played a very large role in my decision to go to another amp. Otherwise it’s a great little amp and it deserves a better fate than its current predicament. Thank you all for your help.

I think you made the right choice. I am still trying to find a resolution. Mytek has been ignoring and deflecting. Last I was promised a working replacement again and a shipping label was created. It has been over 10 days and the tracking number does not show as anything was sent. I am getting very frustrated and disappointed with Mytek.

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #148 of 207
I think you made the right choice. I am still trying to find a resolution. Mytek has been ignoring and deflecting. Last I was promised a working replacement again and a shipping label was created. It has been over 10 days and the tracking number does not show as anything was sent. I am getting very frustrated and disappointed with Mytek.
That's just awful. I hope you get resolution soon. Shame on Mytek

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #149 of 207
Maybe Mytek simply don't have any units that are not defective. Maybe they need to completely redesign it and/or order a new batch with different parts. I wonder how much damage this thread is doing them - how many members does this site have?

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #150 of 207
Maybe Mytek simply don't have any units that are not defective. Maybe they need to completely redesign it and/or order a new batch with different parts. I wonder how much damage this thread is doing them - how many members does this site have?
To say nothing else, Mytek has made this bed for themselves by not making more of an effort to communicate with affected customers. Audiophiles have as much empathy as anyone else when treated with respect. Luckily for me, I had this forum as a resource so that I could anticipate problems and insulate myself from risk by using a retailer with good return policies should my own example of this amp be affected as others here have reported. It was, and I returned it for a refund. Lots of manufacturers have an actual presence in HiFi forums, so many in fact that's it's quite common to see them post and answer questions in person. I've never seen any such thing from Mytek. Mytek needs to get their act together and realize that the internet accomplishes more than just advertising. They seem to have put a lemon on the market and given the diffuse nature of this hobby(very few opportunities to try gear before purchase) you can be damn sure people are going to want as much info as they can get before they spend $1500 on a product only to find out the maker supports it poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back