New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
Oct 11, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #171 of 239
I just received my new DAC204. I listened to it after only an hour of warm up with the stock PS. The Weiss sounded really nice, encompassing loads of space, texture, image density and shocking clarity even compared to my reference DACs. The only down side on this first audition was some gain that can be easily attributed to being turned on for only an hour, and of course, not broken in.

I have a Plixir Elite BDC 9v 4A and their Statement DC cable in box, awaiting companionship with the Weiss. Why did I go with a 9v 4A, because of advice from both James Soh at Plixir and Daniel Weiss, (see quotes below) regarding sound quality recommendations for voltage and amperage matching to the DAC 204.

Daniel Weiss, “I suggest you get a 9V supply which can supply up to 1.5A”
James Soh, “ The 9v 4amp PS will sound better than the 9v 2amp unit for your application”

Even though I’ve gone through the break in process with dozens of DACs and always heard the benefit, I don’t have the patience to wait the DAC204 to fully break before installing the Plixir. I plan to give to the DAC a few days to settle in, and then install the Plixir.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #173 of 239
I just received my new DAC204. I listened to it after only an hour of warm up with the stock PS. The Weiss sounded really nice, encompassing loads of space, texture, image density and shocking clarity even compared to my reference DACs. The only down side on this first audition was some gain that can be easily attributed to being turned on for only an hour, and of course, not broken in.

I have a Plixir Elite BDC 9v 4A and their Statement DC cable in box, awaiting companionship with the Weiss. Why did I go with a 9v 4A, because of advice from both James Soh at Plixir and Daniel Weiss, (see quotes below) regarding sound quality recommendations for voltage and amperage matching to the DAC 204.

James Soh, “ The 9v 4amp PS will sound better than the 9v 2amp unit for your application”

Even though I’ve gone through the break in process with dozens of DACs and always heard the benefit, I don’t have the patience to wait the DAC204 to fully break before installing the Plixir. I plan to give to the DAC a few days to settle in, and then install the Plixir.
Many thanks for the detail on the best Plixir, very helpful! How did you settle on Plixir and do you mind sharing where you bought it from? I look forward to hearing your views once all set up!

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #174 of 239

Shocking clarity is right! I will say mine sounded great out of the box but so much better after some good hours on it and still with the SMPS it came with. Just today I found and got a great deal on a 6 mos old Keces P8. I wanted to listen to it a couple months with the SMPS so I could better appreciate the difference the LPS will make.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #175 of 239
May I ask a question here? What is the size of Weiss 204 power plug, 2.1mm or 2.5mm? The prices of these dac 204 and 205 increased in Australia and 204 is about Ferrum Wandla price but Wandla has more function as preamp, small screen, more input options, more sound filters. The Weiss 204 is just a pure dac and DDC so I am thinking about upgrade to a tube pre amp to enhance the sound quality compare to Wandla I am not sure I should do the same. Even to save more I can just buy 205 as I already have a DDC which is Matrix SPDF-3 and do not need to listen to dsd. Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #176 of 239
May I ask a question here? What is the size of Weiss 204 power plug, 2.1mm or 2.5mm? The prices of these dac 204 and 205 increased in Australia and 204 is about Ferrum Wandla price but Wandla has more function as preamp, small screen, more input options, more sound filters. The Weiss 204 is just a pure dac and DDC so I am thinking about upgrade to a tube pre amp to enhance the sound quality compare to Wandla I am not sure I should do the same. Even to save more I can just buy 205 as I already have a DDC which is Matrix SPDF-3 and do not need to listen to dsd. Thank you.
It's a 2.5.

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #177 of 239
May I ask what are your reference Dacs?
It’s not so much about a reference DAC currently in my listening room, it’s really more about what qualities I’ve been trying to capture from a DAC. Here are a few of the DAC’s I’ve had in the system in the last few years. Each one brings a different series of compromises. You kind of have to pick your priorities and live with the flaws in each DAC. I would imagine I could own a near perfect DAC if spent 6 figures, but, in the real world most of us don’t want to take out a second mortgage to buy something crazy expensive.
Mola Mola Tambaqui: Uber resolving,but not involving.
Lampizator Baltic 3 very nice total balance, but requires complicated tube voicing
Lampizator Amber 3 also great tonal balance but way too much gain.
Holo May KTE: easy to listen to, very resolved, but too polite dynamically.
T+A DAC 200: tons of features very similar sound to the May KTE
Bricasti M1se: Very similar to the Tambaqui but less resolved.
Mojo Audio Mystique: sounds a lot like a turntable that needs a cartridge upgrade.
Theta Gen5a years ago and clearly the best DAC I’ve ever owned.
Weiss DAC204: too early to compete tell, but this little DAC could easily end up being a blend of the best virtues of all DACs above, once fully broken in with the Plixir power supply.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #178 of 239

Many thanks for the detail on the best Plixir, very helpful! How did you settle on Plixir and do you mind sharing where you bought it from? I look forward to hearing your views once all set up!

I had modest expectations for the Pixar power supply, I wasn’t really prepared for a transformational event. I installed the power supply today and let it warm up for six hours before I sat down to listen. At first listen I thought, ah, oh, the music has slowed down and it’s not as exciting, but I missed what had really occurred. After a few minutes, I realized that what actually changed was, all grunge and grain had completely vanished. There was no real loss of high frequencies but, the sense of authority massively ramped up. It like my small monitors just grew a pair from a injection of sonic testosterone. I hear all the qualities I heard earlier, but with big changes, all in the right direction. The power supply provided more life to the music with added image density. As I listen, I can now pear around the sound stage corners, and behind instruments, with far more natural harmonic decay. The Plixir addition also has created an almost eerie quietness. It sounded detailed and dimensional with stock the PS, but now there is a more luminous, almost luscious quality to the music. The Plixir brought a seismic lift in swagger, ease, refinement, musical communication, and an uncontrollable foot tapping issue. Not only is the music line dramatically more understandable but the DAC now has a machismo similar to my old Theta GEN5a. The Plixir added more dynamics, but simultaneously, my HiFi is now way more relaxing to listen to. I can’t imagine any Weiss 204 owner, not being completely blown away after installing the Plixir. Buy this power supply. I’m not overstating, that the DAC204 sounds twice as good with the Plixir and without an upgraded PS you’re running on three cylinders, and not hearing the what the DAC204 is actually capable of. I also have the Plixir Statement umbilical DC cable installed. I’m not sure how much it is contributing, but for $180 it’s a probably a good idea to purchase. I’m sure things will just get even better after a fuse upgrade and a few weeks of break in. I purchased the PS directly from Plixir and had several emails with James who was very helpful.

A bit more detail on the DC plug, ideally is a Switchcraft 760K type. Or one with a 2.5mm center hole and 5.5mm pin diameter. And a shaft length of about 9.5mm
The tip is positive.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #179 of 239
I had modest expectations for the Pixar power supply, I wasn’t really prepared for a transformational event. I installed the power supply today and let it warm up for six hours before I sat down to listen. At first listen I thought, ah, oh, the music has slowed down and it’s not as exciting, but I missed what had really occurred. After a few minutes, I realized that what actually changed was, all grunge and grain had completely vanished. There was no real loss of high frequencies but, the sense of authority massively ramped up. It like my small monitors just grew a pair from a injection of sonic testosterone. I hear all the qualities I heard earlier, but with big changes, all in the right direction. The power supply provided more life to the music with added image density. As I listen, I can now pear around the sound stage corners, and behind instruments, with far more natural harmonic decay. The Plixir addition also has created an almost eerie quietness. It sounded detailed and dimensional with stock the PS, but now there is a more luminous, almost luscious quality to the music. The Plixir brought a seismic lift in swagger, ease, refinement, musical communication, and an uncontrollable foot tapping issue. Not only is the music line dramatically more understandable but the DAC now has a machismo similar to my old Theta GEN5a. The Plixir added more dynamics, but simultaneously, my HiFi is now way more relaxing to listen to. I can’t imagine any Weiss 204 owner, not being completely blown away after installing the Plixir. Buy this power supply. I’m not overstating, that the DAC204 sounds twice as good with the Plixir and without an upgraded PS you’re running on three cylinders, and not hearing the what the DAC204 is actually capable of. I also have the Plixir Statement umbilical DC cable installed. I’m not sure how much it is contributing, but for $180 it’s a probably a good idea to purchase. I’m sure things will just get even better after a fuse upgrade and a few weeks of break in. I purchased the PS directly from Plixir and had several emails with James who was very helpful.

A bit more detail on the DC plug, ideally is a Switchcraft 760K type. Or one with a 2.5mm center hole and 5.5mm pin diameter. And a shaft length of about 9.5mm
The tip is positive.
the stock psu is indeed a bit poorly optimized

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #180 of 239

The tip is positive.
Thank you for the very thorough and descriptive reply, much appreciated - you could be a hifi journalist! Also interesting to hear about the cable which wouldn’t have occurred to me, although don’t want to trigger another cable war lol! Enjoy your set up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back