New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
Jun 10, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 236
Very impressive and interesting review from Steve Huff channel. I usually see his reviews and enjoy them very much. So look like this 204 and 205 are the cut off versions from the higher models Dac 50x. Look like a bargain too. Today with so many expensive dacs a dac like this can compete to other $9000 price range dacs is great.

Don't know why many head-fiers usually bash many products they have not heard or need more time to make a final decision and really be toxic about something they do not like then repeat again and again. To me this Dac is fine for the look however the sound is more important than the look.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 236
Very impressive and interesting review from Steve Huff channel. I usually see his reviews and enjoy them very much. So look like this 204 and 205 are the cut off versions from the higher models Dac 50x. Look like a bargain too. Today with so many expensive dacs a dac like this can compete to other $9000 price range dacs is great.

Don't know why many head-fiers usually bash many products they have not heard or need more time to make a final decision and really be toxic about something they do not like then repeat again and again. To me this Dac is fine for the look however the sound is more important than the look.
There is definitely an element of look too, a nice case shouldn’t cost much look at Schiit Audio products. You want to be able to admire your investment when you walk past it in the living room.
This is all IMHO.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 236
In my setup, the dac will be hidden behind a monitor for album display So, if i can get a dac for 2.8k$ that give performance of 9k$, I will take it and happy with it.
My concern is the diffrence between the 204 and 205. I wrote to Mr Weiss and he explained me the 204 comes with a usb interface that send signal to the dac with i2s. In that case, the 204 has better jitter filters and clock than the 205.
On the other hand, if we have a very good source streamer with high qualty clock, the 205 with a coxial input could be a very good deal!

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 236
There is definitely an element of look too, a nice case shouldn’t cost much look at Schiit Audio products. You want to be able to admire your investment when you walk past it in the living room.
This is all IMHO.
Personally, when I see an audiophile product with a pricetag above a grand boasting unassuming, utilitarian looks, I reckon it has some incredible things going on inside.
I view it as a vote or confidence from the manufacturer that it’s so good, you wont care how it looks.

If I ever get the chance to hear this, I’ll jump at the chance.

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #20 of 236
HI Madra,

The DAC204 is a superior DAC to the TEAC UD 701N - BUT the TEAC has many more features and also sounds very good. I like both products very much. If I only needed a DAC, the DAC204 would be my choice. If I needed a network streamer/DAC /preamp/headphone amp then for under $5k, the TEAC is easily my choice. It is sort of comparing apples to oranges.

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 236
I wish the 204 had an I2S input. I run a DDC and really like how it cleans up and converts a USB signal to I2S. Does the 204 incorporate a DDC like function as part of it's USB signal processing rendering a DDC redundant with no audible benefit?

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #22 of 236
I wish the 204 had an I2S input. I run a DDC and really like how it cleans up and converts a USB signal to I2S. Does the 204 incorporate a DDC like function as part of it's USB signal processing rendering a DDC redundant with no audible benefit?
Your assumption is good. Adding an external ddc would be irrelevant since a ddc/ i2s is already included in the USB interface.
Here is copy of M Weiss email to my request.
Daniel

Hello Daniel
Both DAC204 / DAC205 use the same DAC board.

For the S/PDIF inputs we use the S/PDIF receiver built into the DAC chip. The DAC chip has an async SRC built in. We use that for de-jittering purposes.
As for the USB input the master clock comes from our USB interface. The USB interface is connected via I2S to the DAC chip which again uses the SRC for de-jittering.
So the USB interface may be better in terms of jitter performance – although that depends on the S/PDIF signal source. If that is low jitter then the S/PDIF input can also be very good.
Best Regards,

Daniel Weiss

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #23 of 236
HI Madra,

The DAC204 is a superior DAC to the TEAC UD 701N - BUT the TEAC has many more features and also sounds very good. I like both products very much. If I only needed a DAC, the DAC204 would be my choice. If I needed a network streamer/DAC /preamp/headphone amp then for under $5k, the TEAC is easily my choice. It is sort of comparing apples to oranges.
Hi Todd.
Thanks for the informative and concise response. The difference of functionality of the units was obvious and I was mainly interested in a SQ comparison.
Could you comment on the addition of a better Power supply to the Weiss Dac204? Weiss do offer one but there may be other interesting options.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #24 of 236
For a power supply upgrade I would highly suggest the Farad Super 3. It will noticeably improve the performance of any dac or streamer. It comes in all voltages, so there is a 9v variant to power the Weiss.

It’s also only about $550 usd for the base model, and imo is superior in performance to some other LPS in the under 1k price bracket.

The Weiss Dac204 + Farad Super 3 for about $3500 (edit!) would be a killer combination.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #25 of 236
For a power supply upgrade I would highly suggest the Farad Super 3. It will noticeably improve the performance of any dac or streamer. It comes in all voltages, so there is a 9v variant to power the Weiss.

It’s also only about $550 usd for the base model, and imo is superior in performance to some other LPS in the under 1k price bracket.

The Weiss Dac204 + Farad Super 3 for about $3300 would be a killer combination.
Check your math. It's $3445 not counting any taxes to be paid in your local area which in my case pushes the two to $3660. I see people keep referencing the 204 as a $2.8k DAC when in fact it is only $5 under $2900. Not a big deal when looking at spending that kind of money but still the 204 is not a $2800 unit.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #26 of 236
Either way its a lot cheaper than using Weiss own power supply, which is of an unknown performance level.

Any audio component that has a 5/7/12v input and SMPS power supply can see a large performance increase by upgrading to a modestly priced (for this industry) linear power supply.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #27 of 236
Hi Todd.
Thanks for the informative and concise response. The difference of functionality of the units was obvious and I was mainly interested in a SQ comparison.
Could you comment on the addition of a better Power supply to the Weiss Dac204? Weiss do offer one but there may be other interesting options.
Hi.

In my opinion, the DAC sounds significantly better with a better power supply.

I first tried using the included switching supply, but hooked up a good linear supply after about 10 minutes or so. There was no going back.

Currently using a Hypsos Ferrum that had been powering a fiber media converter. I hijacked the Ferrum, connected an inexpensive linear supply I had lying around to the fiber media converter, and never went back.

If I hadn't had the Ferrum, I probably would have ordered a Farad Super 3 (as per the comment above). They are very good.

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #29 of 236
The Hypsos Ferrum looks really good because it has adjustable voltage. You could play with the output to the Weiss, try either 6v or 9v and see which sounds best. But either way its going to sound a lot better than the stock SMPS.

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #30 of 236
Hi.

In my opinion, the DAC sounds significantly better with a better power supply.

I first tried using the included switching supply, but hooked up a good linear supply after about 10 minutes or so. There was no going back.

Currently using a Hypsos Ferrum that had been powering a fiber media converter. I hijacked the Ferrum, connected an inexpensive linear supply I had lying around to the fiber media converter, and never went back.

If I hadn't had the Ferrum, I probably would have ordered a Farad Super 3 (as per the comment above). They are very good.
Have you compared 204 vs other dacs in the same or higher price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back